Thread poster: Osamah Abdallah
Osamah Abdallah
Osamah Abdallah  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oct 21, 2006

Hello Everybody,

I am Osamah Abdallah, and I have been in the field of translation for about 8 months now. However, it doesn't seem promising. I got a couple of projects that I finished, a total of 80,000 words, but I couldn't find any jobs for the past month and a half. So I wanted anybody's advise on what should I do, where to get started, and how to get a constant flow of work.<
... See more
Hello Everybody,

I am Osamah Abdallah, and I have been in the field of translation for about 8 months now. However, it doesn't seem promising. I got a couple of projects that I finished, a total of 80,000 words, but I couldn't find any jobs for the past month and a half. So I wanted anybody's advise on what should I do, where to get started, and how to get a constant flow of work.
I also have a website and it is:
http://www.arabictab.com
http://www.freetranslationagency.com
Collapse

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:29
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
patience Oct 21, 2006

Hello, Osamah!

The one thing one needs to keep in mind (especially when starting out in this business) is that patience is a virtue. To get established you need to get experience and that means - it takes time.

I dont know about the agency side of getting established but as a freelancer I can say it all depends on many aspects: your language pair, the fields you specialize in, the time and effort you put into geting established and also luck. Most certainly you can not
... See more
Hello, Osamah!

The one thing one needs to keep in mind (especially when starting out in this business) is that patience is a virtue. To get established you need to get experience and that means - it takes time.

I dont know about the agency side of getting established but as a freelancer I can say it all depends on many aspects: your language pair, the fields you specialize in, the time and effort you put into geting established and also luck. Most certainly you can not expect to get established over night - it takes time and patience as I said before - because you need to introduce yourself which means you need to send out your CV since its your commercial, get in touch with potential clients etc.

Being in the business for just 8 months - its only the beginning.:) Consider - its normal for agencies to take up to one year and even more time to finally discover you (if you have applied to work with them).

So if you will be patient enough and hard working enough Im sure it will pay off for you pretty soon. Just dont give up.:)

Stella

[Edited at 2006-10-21 19:19]
Collapse

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:29
German to English
Be realistic and honest Oct 21, 2006

I see from your website that you claim to be "The world's leading translation services company". Do you feel you can justify that claim? The English on that page has some major errors in it ("a dedicated agency to handling ...", "experienced in their respected fields...", "we will ensure you with high quality translations ..."). That doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Neither does the fact that you offer translation into 120 languages - how on earth are you going to check the quality of all of ... See more
I see from your website that you claim to be "The world's leading translation services company". Do you feel you can justify that claim? The English on that page has some major errors in it ("a dedicated agency to handling ...", "experienced in their respected fields...", "we will ensure you with high quality translations ..."). That doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Neither does the fact that you offer translation into 120 languages - how on earth are you going to check the quality of all of those?

I think you would be well advised to think much smaller at this stage and offer only what you know you can do really well (and get yourself a slogan that indicates what that is). Identify what your speciality is (both in terms of languages and in terms of subject matter) and work on providing a faultless service in that before you think of growing larger.

I don't think you do yourself any favours, either, with your offer of "free translation services", which are in fact links to standard web-based machine translation sites. Personally I would steer well clear of offering automatic translation - once again, the quality of what clients get won't inspire them - but if you must offer it, then make it clear that there are simply links to external sites and not a service you are offering.
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:29
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hear, hear ..... Oct 21, 2006

Armorel Young wrote:

I see from your website that you claim to be "The world's leading translation services company". Do you feel you can justify that claim? The English on that page has some major errors in it ("a dedicated agency to handling ...", "experienced in their respected fields...", "we will ensure you with high quality translations ..."). That doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Neither does the fact that you offer translation into 120 languages - how on earth are you going to check the quality of all of those?

I think you would be well advised to think much smaller at this stage and offer only what you know you can do really well (and get yourself a slogan that indicates what that is). Identify what your speciality is (both in terms of languages and in terms of subject matter) and work on providing a faultless service in that before you think of growing larger.

I don't think you do yourself any favours, either, with your offer of "free translation services", which are in fact links to standard web-based machine translation sites. Personally I would steer well clear of offering automatic translation - once again, the quality of what clients get won't inspire them - but if you must offer it, then make it clear that there are simply links to external sites and not a service you are offering.

I can only back everything you've said Armorel.

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 08:29
English to German
+ ...
You put a lot of effort into your website Oct 21, 2006

Hello dear Mr. Abdallah

Your website is very nice and clear- white background enough info for the client - and so on. Try to go beyond your website. I personally think that offering free translation is good as the customer can see that the outcome is not too promising and this is were you step in to HELP. I do like the concept. You are offering a free service which awakens trust.

Writing personal letters introducing your services to prospective client in your local are
... See more
Hello dear Mr. Abdallah

Your website is very nice and clear- white background enough info for the client - and so on. Try to go beyond your website. I personally think that offering free translation is good as the customer can see that the outcome is not too promising and this is were you step in to HELP. I do like the concept. You are offering a free service which awakens trust.

Writing personal letters introducing your services to prospective client in your local area is also good as people feel that there is a connection even if it is just the area they live in. After mailing letters you can make a follow up call because now the person heard of you already which is a bonus.

Make sure that you underline the service you give rather then explaining yourself to much how you got there and so on. The customer is not so much interested in you but in what you can offer.

Make sure you know who your target is .
Try to get to know them so you can satisfy their needs.

International Trade Shows were you can show a professional portfolio of your business and what you are doing is another great option. Get involved in your community.

Handing out business cards. Spend one or two hours a day to market yourself.....at least.

Make sure people find you if they are looking for a translation service. Lots of keywords and links to other websites. Keep your website updated. Make sure your visitor knows if you are available.

Be personal..internet is too frightening not to be personal.

Those are all the things I have to work on. (-;

All the best to you!
Andrea
Collapse

Osamah Abdallah
Osamah Abdallah  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advise! :) Oct 22, 2006

I would like to thank you all for your advice,
Andrea Di Marco
Lawyer-Linguist
Armorel Young
And Bramasole.

Andrea, thank you for sharing you experiences with me, it really helps, and it is crucial to know what others had to go through to become what they are, it always inspires me.

Lawyer-Linguist and Armorel Yough, although I can offer high quality translations into all languages and I am confident about the quality, what you said is true, I
... See more
I would like to thank you all for your advice,
Andrea Di Marco
Lawyer-Linguist
Armorel Young
And Bramasole.

Andrea, thank you for sharing you experiences with me, it really helps, and it is crucial to know what others had to go through to become what they are, it always inspires me.

Lawyer-Linguist and Armorel Yough, although I can offer high quality translations into all languages and I am confident about the quality, what you said is true, I should take it step by step, and make sure I can backup what I provide. Thanks for pointing out some of the mistakes on the website, it helps, a true friend is the one who points your mistakes out, to make you a better person.

Finally, special thanks to Bramasole, your advice is full of wisdom and encouragement. I will try my best to do everything you told me to, and I am sure you are doing great yourself.

Thank you very much, and I look forward to getting more adivse from more valuble members of this website.

Osamah Abdallah
www.arabictab.com
Collapse

wilhelmina
wilhelmina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
my two cents Oct 22, 2006

When I read Amorel's critique of your web site I had the same thought then you, that is, that a true friend points out your mistakes and that that makes you a better person. Today I checked the discussion to see what your response to her posting would be and I am very pleased to read that you took it with stride and grace. I also hope Amorel feels encouraged to provide her constructive remarks to others in the future. Thank you both for being a great example to all of us translators.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should I get started.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »