Carolin Haase
Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:26
English to German
+ ...
Oct 30, 2006

Dear colleagues,

I have been working with Trados for more than a year now, but still have lots of difficulties using it properly (importing TMs, translating footnotes, etc.), and on top of that, it sometimes doesn't work as it should ("forgets" to put terms in the TM etc.), so I've had hassles with it lately.

Now one of the agencies I work for (and a good one, too) told me they would prefer that I acquire Wordast.

Now, which of the two is preferable? Which
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have been working with Trados for more than a year now, but still have lots of difficulties using it properly (importing TMs, translating footnotes, etc.), and on top of that, it sometimes doesn't work as it should ("forgets" to put terms in the TM etc.), so I've had hassles with it lately.

Now one of the agencies I work for (and a good one, too) told me they would prefer that I acquire Wordast.

Now, which of the two is preferable? Which advantages does Wordfast have that Trados hasn't and vice versa? Which is easier to use?

Looking forward to your replies,

Carolin
Collapse

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Have a look through the forums Oct 30, 2006

This has already been discussed ad nauseum in the forums. Simply searching by "Trados Wordfast" in the forum search produces abundant responses, such as http://www.proz.com/post/418156

Please consider reading through those and then coming back with specific questions if you have them.

Good luck,

Steven

Carolin Haase
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 30, 2006

Good luck to you, too,

Carolin

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:26
English to French
+ ...
Quick note on client suggesting you change your CAT Oct 31, 2006

I just wanted to say that, from the client's perspective, whether you switch to WF or not is irrelevant: you are already able to produce the TMs they ask for and a proofreader who uses Trados can proofread WF bilingual files using Trados.

These two software are compatible with each other. I suggest you tell your client politely to pay the bill if they want you to change. I would find it a pity that you pay extra money to keep a client you already have whereas there's no guarantee th
... See more
I just wanted to say that, from the client's perspective, whether you switch to WF or not is irrelevant: you are already able to produce the TMs they ask for and a proofreader who uses Trados can proofread WF bilingual files using Trados.

These two software are compatible with each other. I suggest you tell your client politely to pay the bill if they want you to change. I would find it a pity that you pay extra money to keep a client you already have whereas there's no guarantee that your investment will pay off. Also, make sure that when you lend a hand, they don't rip off your arm with it. Usually, clients who have such excentric requests have a tendency to not pay on time, ask for more than the rate covers for and all the other classic freelancer troubles you probably already heard of.

Might as well stick with Trados - WF also has a learning curve AND will cost you money.

All the best!
Collapse

Carolin Haase
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your advice! Oct 31, 2006

I got in touch with the client, and he replied that it was totally ok if I continued to use Trados. Moreover, he told me it was the same, only better than WF. So, that's it, then!

All the best to you, too!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CAT-tools: Trados or Wordfast?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »