worth getting Quark?
Thread poster: oliver098
oliver098
oliver098
Local time: 04:48
English to French
Oct 31, 2006

I have experience using QuarkXpress in a previous FT job (not translating) and wonder if it is worth getting this so you can offer DTP on my CV. However looking online it seems to cost in the region of £700 - a lot of money for some software that I might only use occasionally. How often do agencies (or direct clients) want this sort of thing?

Natasa Grubor
Natasa Grubor  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 05:48
English to Serbian
+ ...
not really Oct 31, 2006

In last 7 years I had only 2 (two!) requests to use quark.It is interesting that clients often ask me to do translation in Power Point and actually use it as prepress material (i know it because i usualy got pdf file in other language as a sample for layout). Maybe someone else can give you different (and positive) opinion.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:48
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Indesign might be the better investment Oct 31, 2006

Unfortunately Indesign has squeezed QuarkXPress out of the market and has become the new standard. It combines Quark features with Illustrator tools and I have to admit, it is some terrific software. I used Quark myself but had to switch as all requests involved InDesign. No I have an unused Quark upgrade sitting on the shelf which I never even bothered to install... Also, you can open Quark files in Indesign.

The price is pretty much the same, I paid 700 or 800 for Indesign CS2.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:48
English to French
+ ...
If you have Trados/SDLX/Wordfast, it's useless to invest in DTP software Oct 31, 2006

Most CAT tools let you translate DTP file formats even if you don't have the specific DTP software. So, if it's for translation only, it's useless to spend that much money on Quark. If it's for DTP, it's a different story. However, there are practically no DTP jobs on ProZ and in other similar sites. Maybe you would find more DTP work in other freelancer sites focusing more on IT and other computer work jobs.

I have Quark and have used it only once, and even then, I didn't have to,
... See more
Most CAT tools let you translate DTP file formats even if you don't have the specific DTP software. So, if it's for translation only, it's useless to spend that much money on Quark. If it's for DTP, it's a different story. However, there are practically no DTP jobs on ProZ and in other similar sites. Maybe you would find more DTP work in other freelancer sites focusing more on IT and other computer work jobs.

I have Quark and have used it only once, and even then, I didn't have to, it was just an aid for the translation I was doing. Luckily, the investment paid itself off - my boyfriend is a graphic artist.

In my opinion, the same goes for Indesign.

I have worked on many occasions on files that were created with DTP software I didn't have, but the client always exported the translatable text into a format I could work with - mostly Word. Usually, agencies are the ones who ask for DTP file translation - and they usually have a department who takes care of the technicalities, so I can focus on translation.

All the best!
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 05:48
German to English
+ ...
Buy the software you need for your orders Oct 31, 2006

Hello,

of course it is very needful to buy Quark if you have orders which requires Quark. If not, it is needless.

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

Most CAT software need the dtp software for extract the translatable text,

I have worked on many occasions on files that were created with DTP software I didn't have, but the client always exported the translatable text into a format I could work with - mostly Word. Usually, agencies are the ones who ask for DTP file translation - and they usually have a department who takes care of the technicalities, so I can focus on translation.

Usually agencies should prepare the files from dtp to cat format. You should need dtp software if you want to work with end clients.

With kind regards

Hans

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:48
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
It really depends Oct 31, 2006

If you are specializing in advertising for example and you already know how to work with layouting software, it might be worth while because you are dealing with a lot of brochures, ads, direct marketing pieces, etc.

Other than that it would be a waste.

Approximately 80% of my projects require copy-fitting translations to ensure that the existing layout doesn't get ruined by the much bulkier target language and I like writing directly in ready-to-print files. My clie
... See more
If you are specializing in advertising for example and you already know how to work with layouting software, it might be worth while because you are dealing with a lot of brochures, ads, direct marketing pieces, etc.

Other than that it would be a waste.

Approximately 80% of my projects require copy-fitting translations to ensure that the existing layout doesn't get ruined by the much bulkier target language and I like writing directly in ready-to-print files. My clients appreciate it too... However, I waited quite a while until I bought this additional software. Until then, I outsourced all typesetting to local graphic designers.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

worth getting Quark?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »