Mobile menu

Is anybody familiar with the SEO/Internet Marketing industry?
Thread poster: vieleFragen
vieleFragen
Local time: 23:22
English
Dec 21, 2006

Hey,

I'm learning all I can about Internet Marketing and SEO (=Search Engine Optimization) now and hope to be able to make a living that way some day. Everybody who Ive spoken to in that industry agrees with me, that a regular business degree wont help me much with that and that usually its all about being able to prove one's skills...

I also know that a lot of E-Books on those topic are starting to be released (most of which dont seem to have many translations, yet).

Also I know, that its easier to make money translating, if one has an area of expertise, that's high in demand/little supply..a lot of technical stuff for example.

Now Im wondering if I should take up a translation career (which i had wanted to do before majoring in business and being on the verge of dropping out now..) and try to make the field of SEO and internet marketing as my area of expertise...

Anybody knows if theres work in that field?

Direct link Reply with quote

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 00:22
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Topic moved Dec 22, 2006

I moved this topic to "Getting established" where the subject may fit better.

Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
SEO and translation Dec 22, 2006

I think translating for SEO has a good future *when* the client ist going to be aware of what SEO is really about.

At the moment, translating is for them much more replacing one word with the other as much as SEO is finding the company's name when typing it into google.

SEO is very demanding and writing a good translation may mean writing an adapted copy and tweaking it over the weeks. Some SEO companies offer services in other languages as much as some big agencies with the indoor capacity (so that they can tweak without being it too expensive) are touching SEO.

Translating for SEO needs knowledge of the words to use (which may not be the translation of the source text), adapting the words around it (adding the words required for the target group) respecting the keyword density (respecting the for instance 4-5% range may requires adapting much the text if one language has 20% more words than another).

Look for the SEO industry of the source language. If you can show you know what you are doing, you have better chances than a normal translator

vieleFragen
English
TOPIC STARTER
SEO/Internet Marketing..again :-) Dec 23, 2006

Hi,

I have no doubts whatsoever, that I'll know enough about it, as I started learning about SEO (and Internet Marketing+a bit of Web Design) in early october, have over a year to totally focus on it and am currently spending 50+ hours a week learning about it.

Actually, SEO/Internet Marketing would be my first choice. However, there are no degrees in that field, that have anything to do with it really...and I dont want to go back to business school and spend 4-5 years trying to memorize phonebooks, when I know it won't be of any use (this isn't just my opinion, but all the SEOs I've talked to, agree...)

So I was wondering, if maybe it would be a smarter move to take up a career in translation/software localization, as I've always been a fan of languages (and at least at the written part fairly good at them)...and would already have a leg up in English & French as I learned them 'on the side'.

However, I wasn't really wondering about 'multilingual SEO' (that's what they call it, I guess), as that would involve more than localizing the on-the-page-stuff...one of the most important parts of SEO is link building...which exceeds translation by far, I assume...not that I wouldn't like to do it, but I assume having a degree in translation wouldn't really help me fullfil(fulfill?!) most companies need for a 'related paper qualification'...maybe Im wrong, though and it would really help with multilingual SEO?

I was more thinking about translating SEO-books..SEO online courses (+Internet Marketing books/courses)...etc. there isn't much literature out there on SEO, yet. However there's already tons of information on Internet Marketing and I've heard there were a lot of online courses for SEO, books on SEO, etc. in the making. Not hard to believe considering this field is highly underserved (something that everyone needs, but few people can do, so a lot of people are trying to learn about it). Do you have an idea of that translation/localization market? (I have to laugh, when I think how a German translator who doesn't know anything about SEO would translator 'spider' ^^)

Also..wouldn't it be a great combination to know about Internet Marketing, SEO and run one's own freelance translation agency (some day)? The better you have your services marketed, the more you can charge, right?

P.S.:

Do you say "in the fields internet marketing, SEO,..." or "in the fields OF internet marketing, SEO,..."? I think it should be the second, but I browsed a site of a software localizer/SEO who put it without the 'of'...

Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
I can't help you on that question Dec 23, 2006

I started learning SEO in november 2004 for my own purposes, not as a career. I have never optimized a foreign page.
I have been optimizing for the German word of "translation agency" and I am on the first page of most search engines even google.com (just google.de excepted). Here we are in a closed circle of a couple agencies doing it.
I have gone over link building, I like more link baiting. Sometimes I am with google showing 26 links before another agency showing more than 1500 links. At the moment I lost my first place because I updated the page but it usually comes back.
Link building in itself is for me using too much time for too little result. I like the idea of SEO being of user accessibility and copywriting. I will never be a SEO tough. I have no clue about programming. My website had been programmed by someone else and I know just enough to tweak it afterwards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is anybody familiar with the SEO/Internet Marketing industry?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs