How to get started
Thread poster: Clara Ogwuazor
Clara Ogwuazor
Clara Ogwuazor  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 14:07
German to English
Dec 22, 2006

I am relatively new in the translation business. I just finished my translation studies and do not yet have enough experience neither do I have any previous project work. I have not really found a way of tackling the competitive nature of the business. Can anyboby let me know how to break the ice? How do I set my rates? Thanks, Clara

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 15:07
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Try here first... Dec 22, 2006

Hi, Clara! And welcome to one of the friendliest and most helpful networks around.

For rates, I would suggest you look at two built-in features in ProZ.com.

1. Undert "Tools" in the main menu at the top of the home page, you will find a rates calculator. There you can very accurately plot what your expected costs are, and what return you expect from your time spent in your work of translating (incl. things like admin, planning, reading, browsing for new books to buy,
... See more
Hi, Clara! And welcome to one of the friendliest and most helpful networks around.

1. Undert "Tools" in the main menu at the top of the home page, you will find a rates calculator. There you can very accurately plot what your expected costs are, and what return you expect from your time spent in your work of translating (incl. things like admin, planning, reading, browsing for new books to buy, etc.).

2. Under "Jobs" on the home page top menu, you will find a graphic representation of all the ProZ.com members various rates, and see where you lie in the mix. I believe you will have to enter your rates before this is available, but you will see on your Profile that even though you need to enter rates, you can set them to be visible only to you, and not to everyone in general.

Hope this helps you, and congratulations for having chosen one of the world's very rewarding careers!

Bill

OOPS!

Sorry, you asked about how to set rates too. That you do by going to "My ProZ.com" on the main page, and choose "My Profile". You'll find "Rates" as one of the options that you can set from your Profile page.

[Edited at 2006-12-22 15:16]
Collapse

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 08:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Review the contents of this forum Dec 22, 2006

Hi,

I think there are several postings in this forum that you might find useful:

http://www.proz.com/forum/15

HTH

Patricia

Clara Ogwuazor
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for that friendly reply, Bill !!! Dec 23, 2006

William [Bill] Gray wrote:

1. Undert "Tools" in the main menu at the top of the home page, you will find a rates calculator. There you can very accurately plot what your expected costs are, and what return you expect from your time spent in your work of translating (incl. things like admin, planning, reading, browsing for new books to buy, etc.).

2. Under "Jobs" on the home page top menu, you will find a graphic representation of all the ProZ.com members various rates, and see where you lie in the mix. I believe you will have to enter your rates before this is available, but you will see on your Profile that even though you need to enter rates, you can set them to be visible only to you, and not to everyone in general.

Hope this helps you, and congratulations for having chosen one of the world's very rewarding careers!

Bill

OOPS!

Sorry, you asked about how to set rates too. That you do by going to "My ProZ.com" on the main page, and choose "My Profile". You'll find "Rates" as one of the options that you can set from your Profile page.

[Edited at 2006-12-22 15:16]

[Edited at 2006-12-23 11:26]

[Edited at 2006-12-23 11:27]

ejprotran
ejprotran
Local time: 22:07
English to Japanese
I would suggest... Dec 26, 2006

Hello Clara.

I felt the same as you do now when I started my own career as a freelance translator. If you are eager to get into this business, you might want to be willing to take a job that you might consider a stepdown. You don't want to focus too much on a specific subject matter from the start that you think you are good at. Any translation jobs requre thourough research skills and an attitude to keep learning. In the course of translating a variety kinds of texts, you'll eventu
... See more
Hello Clara.

I felt the same as you do now when I started my own career as a freelance translator. If you are eager to get into this business, you might want to be willing to take a job that you might consider a stepdown. You don't want to focus too much on a specific subject matter from the start that you think you are good at. Any translation jobs requre thourough research skills and an attitude to keep learning. In the course of translating a variety kinds of texts, you'll eventually find a subject that you feel comfortable with. Next, you might want to do some reaserch on the average rate of your language-peer on your own. Even if you are confident of your translation skill, it's safer to set a rate that doesn't go beyond the average rate as a starter. If you are really good at this, jobs will keep coming in, and the rate can be set higher as your experience enlarges.

Good luck on your career.

ejprotran

Clara Ogwuazor wrote:

I am relatively new in the translation business. I just finished my translation studies and do not yet have enough experience neither do I have any previous project work. I have not really found a way of tackling the competitive nature of the business. Can anyboby let me know how to break the ice? How do I set my rates? Thanks, Clara
Collapse

Clara Ogwuazor
Ireland
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Is it better to select few or more areas of specialization? Dec 26, 2006

Hi Ejprotran, thank you very much and I agree with what you said. I'm ready to translate texts from different subject areas. But what I do not know how to tackle is the "area of specialization" on this site. I read that it pays more if one is as specific as possible in indicating the subject areas. Do I then select few subject areas or choose as many as possible, keep my fingers crossed and hope that some day, I will be contacted. I also bid and submit my quotes for jobs posted on the site, but ... See more
Hi Ejprotran, thank you very much and I agree with what you said. I'm ready to translate texts from different subject areas. But what I do not know how to tackle is the "area of specialization" on this site. I read that it pays more if one is as specific as possible in indicating the subject areas. Do I then select few subject areas or choose as many as possible, keep my fingers crossed and hope that some day, I will be contacted. I also bid and submit my quotes for jobs posted on the site, but have got no replies yet.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get started

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »