Working abroad
Thread poster: Dominique Robidoux

Dominique Robidoux  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:39
English to French
Feb 9, 2007

Hello,
I am a freelance translator/proofreader and I would like to travel to Europe or Australia. I was wondering if there could be any inhouse jobs for short periods of time (ex. 1 month) that could allow me to travel and visit at the same time? Does that exist for European or Australian translation agencies.
If you know, can you tell me where I should apply?
Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why inhouse? Feb 9, 2007

Hi Dominique!
As inspiring translation agencies can be, but... why would you want to travel thousands of miles in order to waste your time on a 9 to 5 job? Just take your laptop and cellphone and serve your clients in the usual way. You could use your trip for visiting potential clients though.
Keep us posted where you are

Jan Andre de la Porte  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:39
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Cost of a mobile Internet connection Feb 9, 2007

Hi Wolfgang and Dominique,

I tend to agree with you Wolfgang. In any case and to my knowledge agencies rarely have an "in-and-out" translator policy. Probably because local regulations restrict them from doing so. (social security, insurances etc.)

I've often thought of the idea you mentioned Wolfgang, but wouldn't it be very expensive to work in this way? I mean, I am usually more or less constantly wired to the Internet when I work (on-line dictionaries, messages etc.). Doing this through a cell phone would be very costly, no? But if there is a way around this it's an obvious possibility.

Veronica Coquard
France
Member (2007)
French to English
Here's an idea Feb 9, 2007

Along the lines of the previous posts (taking your portable computer with you), how about a long-term house swap which allows you to stay for free? There are some very good Internet clubs where, in some cases, house swappers propose up to 6 month's exchange.

Here is the best website that I found: http://www.homebase-hols.com/join.shtml

Membership is not free but the choice is vast.

You may have to find out about work regulations in the destination country, but at least you will save some money.

Good luck!

xxxLatin_Hellas
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
Phone connections usually work Feb 9, 2007

In many countries, internet service providers offer pre-paid cards for internet access, so all that is necessary to stay connected is a telephone line. Granted, this precludes a high-speed connection, but it is adequate for maintaining a translation business, especially assuming you have a steady set of customers and more or less a predictable flow of work, checking your mail box periodically throughout the day.

Anne Marie B
Canada
English to French
Question d'organisation Feb 9, 2007

Bonjour Dominique,

Je suis présentement en France pour quelques mois et comme pour vous, la question du travail s'est posée. Je l'ai résolue en louant une maison ayant une connection ADSL, pour pouvoir travailler. Et ça marche bien. Pour l'Europe, ça a été facile et je présume que ça devrait l'être aussi pour l'Australie.

Si vous travaillez à la pige, il s'agit de garder contact avec vos clients et de les servir à distance. J'ai également Skype.

N'hésitez pas à me joindre, si vous voulez que nous échangions plus longuement sur le sujet.

Bonne chance!

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Freelancing while traveling Feb 9, 2007

Hi everybody,

In many university cities there are offers for renting apartments for one or two months (while the students are on holidays). The students are happy to find someone to take over the rent and internet/phone bills for that time, and you won't have to worry about furniture, contracts with providers, etc. A friend of mine is currently renting out her apartment in Dresden, Germany, since she is in Morocco for a two-months holiday.

Maybe you can contact universities in the cities you want to visit, Dominique, and they can help you find something. This way you could continue freelancing and forget about the 9 to 5 job. You will have much more freedom to get to know your surroundings, and you won't lose your existing client base.

What do others think? I am also thinking about combining traveling and working, so I'd love to hear from colleagues who actually did it.

Stefanie

[Edited at 2007-02-09 13:06]

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
@Jan Andre Feb 9, 2007

Actually I was thinking about using a cellphone to be able to take incoming calls. But anyway, mobile internet is getting more and more affordable (flatrates in my country starting at 20 EUR, in fact I am using one of them right now). Not to mention WLAN access points, which are for free in some cases. Some internet cafes allow you to hook up your laptop to their network.
So all in all, my experience so far is quite good. On the other hand: when I get back, people ask me how my vacation was. Vacation????

Anne Marie B
Canada
English to French
Home exchanging Feb 9, 2007

To continue along the same topic as Inkling, we have home exchanged three times (Hawaï, France and Portugal) and it worked marvelously well. It is a very economical way to travel. But the best is that we actually became friends with the three families. If you could find a place with a good Internet connection, you would be all set.

I am translating such a website at the moment :
www.1stHomeExchange.com
The French version is already online but there is still work to be done since the English one has just been updated. Membership is free.

Veronica Coquard
France
Member (2007)
French to English
Thank you, Anne! Feb 9, 2007

Anne Marie B wrote:

To continue along the same topic as Inkling, we have home exchanged three times (Hawaï, France and Portugal) and it worked marvelously well. It is a very economical way to travel. But the best is that we actually became friends with the three families. If you could find a place with a good Internet connection, you would be all set.

I am translating such a website at the moment :
www.1stHomeExchange.com
The French version is already online but there is still work to be done since the English one has just been updated. Membership is free.

Thanks for the tip, Anne!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working abroad

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs