Thread poster: xxxSimaty
xxxSimaty  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:31
French to German
+ ...
Feb 14, 2007

Dear all,
I'm living in France and I wish to work as a freelancer in France (translating french and spanish into german) but beside the problems of finding work...I made the experience that the URSSAF refused to accept me as a freelancer, saying working for an agency is not really freelance.
I'm not sure if it was me who got something wrong? Who can help me, who works as freelancer in France and can help me trough this administrative stuff.
Thank you all.

Direct link Reply with quote

Karine Piera  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Post this in the French forum Feb 20, 2007

as I am sure more people would be able to help you over there.

Karine

Babel123
France
English to French
FREELANCER IN FRANCE Feb 21, 2007

It may be that the URSSAF understood that you planned to work for only ONE client (you mention "working for AN agency")...
They want to avoid what the administration calls "un lien de subordination juridique permanente à l'égard du donneur d'ouvrage", as this is considered salaried work where the employer would rather pay you as independant contractor in order to avoid paying taxes.

see:
http://www.freelance-europe.com/fr/article120_3.html

Rachel Gorney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Never utter the word "agency" Feb 22, 2007

First of all, agreed -- post your message in the French forum if you want more advice on getting started in France.

I made the same blunder when I initially applied to URSSAF -- I said I planned to work for translation agencies, and they flatly refused my application.

In fact, URSSAF's mission is to ensure that workers are declared and paid according to French law. To this end, they cannot condone any activity -- such as a translation agency -- that effectively avoids hiring salaried employees and paying their "charges sociales" by subcontracting to freelancers instead.

To solution is very simply not to say the word "agency" to URSSAF. When you complete your forms and meet with them in person say that you intend to work only with "particuliers" -- individual clients, not agencies. Then they won't give you any problems.

Of course everyone knows that most freelance translators work for agencies, but the trick is just not to SAY so

Best of luck,

Rachel

Babel123
France
English to French
You don't even have to meet with URSSAF people in person Feb 22, 2007

I declared my professional activity on the Web:

http://www.cfe.urssaf.fr/

I filled the online form, printed it, and sent it to them. Nobody asked me any question whatsoever.

I don't think they should have to know whether you work for agencies or direct clients, as long as you are not dependant on a sole client.

xxxSimaty  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
declaration on the web Feb 24, 2007

Thank you all for your answers, I'm quite new in the forum and did'nt see that there is a french forum (it might have been easier for me to post in french

Dear Babel 123:

I declared my professional activity on the Web:

http://www.cfe.urssaf.fr/

I filled the online form, printed it, and sent it to them. Nobody asked me any question whatsoever.

To benefit of the "EXONERATION", do I have to contact the Urssaf or is it also possible by internet?

And where can I find more information about the "régime d'imposition des bénéfices" and "régime TVA"?

Thanks again and have a nice week-end! Simone

Babel123
France
English to French
"Régime d'imposition des bénéfices" and "Régime TVA" Mar 8, 2007

Hi Simone!

Sorry for the reply delay, hadn't notice your post. You should definetly start a thread on the French forum. I'm sure you would get loads of answers!

I'm not sure what "Exoneration" you are talking about. You should give more details about that.

About "régime d'imposition des bénéfices" and "régime TVA", good places to look are:
www.canam.fr/
www.impots.gouv.fr/

Have a look at the "Objectif Entreprise" Guide:
http://www.canam.fr/aide_a_la_creation_d_entreprise/index.php
You can download the whole guide in PDF format :
http://www.canam.fr/publications/creation_d_entreprise/index.php

As a translator, you have to look for information related to "Bénéfices Non Commerciaux (BNC)", "Bénéfices Industriels et Commerciaux (BIC)" are not relevant to your activity.

Since you are just going freelance, maybe you should opt for "Régime Spécial BNC" (micro-entreprise for professions libérales), which entitles you to 1)"Franchise en base de TVA" (TVA exemption: you do not collect it , you do not declare it) and 2)very limited accounting obligations.
However, if you know your revenues will exceed 27000 euros, you should opt for "Déclaration contrôlée".

Hope this helps !

Bon courage !

Armelle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FREELANCER IN FRANCE

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs