Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 14, 2007

I think that all translators (and especially those new to the profession) should read this excellent article by Natasha Curtis from The Translation Journal:

http://accurapid.com/journal/39freelance.htm

And this article by Danilo and Vera Nogueira about providing (or not providing in this case) translations at discounted rates:

http://accurapid.com/journal/39payments.htm

[Edited at 2007-02-14 22:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

Josée Desbiens
Canada
Local time: 14:25
English to French
Thank you! Feb 14, 2007

I have really appreciated the first article...

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:25
Italian to English
+ ...
In my experience .... Feb 15, 2007

once you offer a discount (usually the excuse is for the agency to snag a new client, or because of alleged high volume/repeat work) you never get back to your full rate.

As an aside, I once worked as International Key Account Manager in the luxury car industry, and our strategy there was not to offer discoiunted rates (for the above reason), but to offer rebates for certain target turnover bands.

E.g. if your rate was 100/unit, you charged that rate throughout, but you offered certain percentage discounts depending on the amount of turnover the client send you. Thus if the client sent you 10,000 units, you might charge them at 95/unit, for 20,000 units 90/unit and so on.

I have never tried to apply this to translation, but I am considering it.

Comments appreciated.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 20:25
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I have a bonus scheme with my prime agent Feb 15, 2007

I have never tried to apply this to translation, but I am considering it. ... Alexander Chisholm

... in the sense of X% discount on hundred percent of plan fulfilled, reevaluated on a quarterly basis. They also get (and always use) the early payment discount.

The fly in the ointment? They're my number one, and well beyond the secure 10% of the revenues.

[Edited at 2007-02-15 09:52]

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:25
French to English
+ ...
very different sectors Feb 15, 2007

As an aside, I once worked as International Key Account Manager in the luxury car industry, and our strategy there was not to offer discoiunted rates (for the above reason), but to offer rebates for certain target turnover bands.

These areas (luxury cars vs. translation) are very different - the unit cost of producing 100 cars is much lower than the unit cost of producing 1 car, but translation benefits from no such economy of scale, and certainly not if your metric is 'turnover from one client' rather than 'length of document'.

If you were considering individual documents, there might be some potential economy of scale in translating longer documents, if the document were repetitive or assuming that you'd learnt more about the subject by the end of the text - but the client already benefits from this if he gets his text earlier than he might have expected. Why should he also expect a discounted rate?

xxxyapivy
United States
Local time: 11:25
Tagalog to English
+ ...
very helpful Feb 15, 2007

Thank you! As somebody new to the field, I found these articles very helpful.

Nicole Blanc  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Extremely helpful! Feb 16, 2007

Same feeling as my colleagues.

As somebody not quite new to the field, I found those two articles extremely helpful and I will now keep them in my records.

Many thanks.

Therrien  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:25
English to French
+ ...
Beautiful Feb 17, 2007

VERY instructive. I have printed it and filed it for later use. Thank you!

- Alex Therrien

Adi Al-Ka'bi
Local time: 22:25
Arabic to English
+ ...
For starters Feb 24, 2007

I've just put up an article that deals mainly with pricing, but other matters have been dealt with amongst them what would concern starters, discounts etc.

It's on http://portreference.com/000001-Pricing.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

It Could Happen to You - Don't be taken advantage of

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs