Mobile menu

What information and logo do you include in your personal seal?
Thread poster: Lydianette Soza

Lydianette Soza
Belize
Local time: 13:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 15, 2007

Hi, dear Colleagues:

Though I am almost new in Proz I have worked for some years in the translation field. Now, I want to make it more formal, and I am trying to run my own business.

In order to make it more formal I would like to have made a personal seal, since I still do not have one, but I would like to know, for those bearing one, what information contains a personal seal?

I know that a requisite should be your name, anything else?

What about the logo?
Should I include a personal logo, or is it more formal if I use a national symbol?

I would appreciate so much you collaboration.

Regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I don't have a personal seal Mar 16, 2007

Lydianette Soza wrote:
In order to make it more formal I would like to have made a personal seal... What about the logo? Should I include a personal logo, or is it more formal if I use a national symbol?

I have no idea what a personal seal is. Is this something particular to your country?

The fact that you mention a seal and a logo separately, makes me think that the seal and the logo aint the same thing, well in that case I'm really baffled.

Can you give us a bit more information about what a personal seal is, where it is used, and perhaps some examples of other companies' seals?

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:10
German to English
+ ...
Ask your translators' association? Mar 16, 2007

Perhaps this is a question your translators' association can answer? I know some "sworn" translators in Germany have seals, but the wording is prescribed as far as I know.

I have a corporate seal - got it when I incorporated my company. But all it says is the name of the company and year of incorporation. I have not yet had occasion to use it!

Lydianette Soza
Belize
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As for your question Samuel.... Mar 16, 2007

Well, what I am talking about is the seal that you stamp into your translations, when a translator´s certification is required. So my question, once again, for those having one is what kind of information do you include in your seal.

Daina I appreciate your comment, however in my country there is no an incorporated association of translators yet.

Once again, any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:10
German to English
+ ...
Then it would depend on the purpose of the translation Mar 16, 2007

I would think that if a translation has to be certified, then the institution - university, court, government agency, etc. - requiring the certification would be able to tell you which information/wording must be included.

There is no easy answer to this question, particularly since we are in completely different countries and don't know the legal (or other) requirements in yours.

PS I have never once been asked to certify one of my translations, and I can't recall any time in the past 6 years that a hard copy was required, but that can differ depending on what you translate - I don't generally translate court documents or personal papers.

[Edited at 2007-03-16 19:09]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In my country... Mar 17, 2007

Lydianette Soza wrote:
Well, what I am talking about is the seal that you stamp into your translations, when a translator´s certification is required. So my question, once again, for those having one is what kind of information do you include in your seal.

In South Africa, sworn translators have a little stamp that they put on the document. The stamp only needs to contain a certain wording (something like "I hereby declare this translations blah-blah-blah") and space for the translator's signature and the date. The translator stamps the document and signs it. You could get a logo or something, or add your company name to it, I suppose. But the wording is specified by law. Some translators use a date stamp to stamp the date on top of the seal stamp, but they still have to sign it manually.

In South Africa, non-sworn translations do not get certified. If the client wants some sort of official looking thingy attached, the translator can create a covering letter on his normal letterhead, write briefly "I hereby declare blah-blah-blah" (but 'declare', not 'certify' -- only sworn translators can legally certify in South Africa), and sign it.

When I do certified translations for non-South African clients who require certification, I use a covering letter with the 'declare' wording on it, and I sign it. That has always satisfied my certified translation clients.

Tatiana Neamţu
Romania
Local time: 22:10
English to Romanian
+ ...
An opinion ... Mar 17, 2007

I am also a sworn translator in my country. There is no rule here whatsoever what to write on the seal, but I can tell you what I and most of my colleagues have:

"Tatiana Neamtu / Authorization No / Sworn Translator (English) / Vereidigte Uebersetzerin (German)/ Traducator autorizat (Romanian)"

I have chosen to translate "my title" in all my three working languages, but some of my colleagues only put it in Romanian. I don't think it is OK to put logo on the seal, though it would be nice

The certification is not on the seal, but at the end of my translation, there is a small table with hidden margins, translated in both source and target language, with my certification: "I hereby declare...."

That would be all ....

[Editat la 2007-03-17 12:01]

Lydianette Soza
Belize
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank very, very much for all your comments! Mar 17, 2007

I really appreciate all your comments, which will be extremely useful in this task.

Once again thank you all:

Tatiana, Samuel, Daiana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What information and logo do you include in your personal seal?

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs