Thread poster: dcaralo

dcaralo  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 15, 2007

Ooooh well

My Story...

I was born in Barcelona, Spain. And that means two mother tongues: Catalan and Spanish. Though my parents are not catalan, and at home we never spoke Catalan, I learnt Catalan. Due to beginning of democracy in Spain (I was born in 1973) it was not at least until I was 7 or 8 years old that Catalan begun to be teached at schools. Since then, I somehow grew in a "progressively becoming bilingual" region.

During Elementary School had French classes. When changing to Secondary School (Well Formación Pofesional, kind of a mix of High School, Vocational School and Associate Degree for five years), I had English only. Then is when I begun to have interest in languages and other cultures.

Later after Institute, I begun to travel overseas. First, were France and Italy in holidays. In 1993 spent one month in USA (Intervarsity Cedar Campus, Cedarville, MI). That was the mother of whole experiences in my life! Besides other aspects, interest in languages slipped into mi mind and wanted more...then I committed a big madness. I had a three year long job at a lawyers firm and just said good bye...youth makes you do these things. Left and departed again to USA, to the same place. I worked there for about six months. And from there went to work to UK, right in Northwood, Middlessex. While I was there I got a good friendship with a lady who wanted to exchange with me Catalan classes for English ones (she is a teacher). So instead of paying, I got some perfectioning my English. Then I thought about focusing my life towards careers related with languages.

Yet so far, I haven't had any career directly related....

1996 I come back to Spain. But as my parents left Barcelona, I came to Tenerife (Canary Islands) with them. Since then I have worked at a private clinic as an administrative, in charge of contact with overseas Insurance Companies...of course in English language conversations. Later worked for Iberia Airlines as a ground hostess, to check in, boarding and giving information to International passengers; which meant to use foreign languages (French and English... a bit of Italian -Thanks to my passion for Eros Ramazzotti songs;););):-{}).

After that came two years working for an Insurance Company (First named SunAlliance, later Royal&Sunalliance, and nowadays name is Liberty Insurance). The south of Tenerife is a kind of English-German ghetto...clients were 90% from abroad, non-spanish residents=no-use-of Spanish.. I left that job and had many temporary jobs which involved a little bit of languages. Only can remark my two month job for Nokia Spain, within a project of mobile antenna installation all over the Canaries. Interesting job yes...

Another aspect raised then. To read the same document into many languages...and imported that mania to home, where I began to read user guides from many devices. I found some difficulty many times when reading Spanish sections... many times thought "If I had translated this guide I would not have done this phrase in this way, I would have put this XXX, XXX, XXX andXXXX...I don't know if anyone understands what I am saying. Many times was easier to go to the English or French section...wierd, odd, curious...ins't it?

Now it is almost four years I work in a public organism ( . And at least I think I will be there until year 2019, if nothing changes in my life... I Have two children and wouldn't go into madness as I did when I was twenty. In Spain you can't do that when you hold familiar responsibilities...and for the sake of a fixed monthly salary, I am still there.

However during these last two years I am convinced I can do a good work in translating. My profile says about 12 years experience in translating...Now you know these 12 years are "unofficial" translating experience, but does not mean I know nothing on how to translate.

That is why last year registered here in PROZ, and to be honest in a couple more of websites for translators, in the hope that besides my official job, I can work in parallel into translating. I do consider myself a part-time freelancer. And anyone of you that may want a little cooperation, a little help with a project...I can afford to give a hand (paying or not we will see...=)).

You all are invited to visit my profile.

This is my story.

Thanks for "listening my cry"....:-K:-K

[Editado a las 2007-03-15 22:44]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-03-16 05:58]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why I started translating ... my personal story

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs