https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/6975-european_masters_in_conference_interpreting.html

European Masters in Conference Interpreting
Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:37
German to English
Dec 10, 2002

Hi!

http://www.emcinterpreting.net/

I found this course, which basically trains conference interpreters, including for the EU, and they ask for a native language, a language that you can use to interpret from/to and a third language that you use to interpret from. Well, the first two is quite clear for me, native = English, 2nd = German but what about the 3rd?

Has anyone done this course?
... See more
Hi!

http://www.emcinterpreting.net/

I found this course, which basically trains conference interpreters, including for the EU, and they ask for a native language, a language that you can use to interpret from/to and a third language that you use to interpret from. Well, the first two is quite clear for me, native = English, 2nd = German but what about the 3rd?

Has anyone done this course? What level does the 3rd language need to be? What is the entrance test like for this 3rd language? I studied French at school (for 10 years) but haven\'t used it since and I can communicate in Portuguese but my level isn\'t that high. I\'d like some tips from someone who has done it before! Thanks
Collapse

Karin Walker (X)
Karin Walker (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:37
German to English
+ ...
Not sure about level Dec 10, 2002

Hi Gillian,

They are referring to your A, B and C languages. A is your mother tongue or equivalent (i.e. a genuine bilingual could have two A languages). B is a foreign language you are able to interpret into as well as out of, and C is your third foreign language that is a source language, not a target language. The classification shows fairly clearly how proficient you should ideally be to claim A or B status in a language. IMO with C it\'s not quite so clear cut, but maybe someone
... See more
Hi Gillian,

They are referring to your A, B and C languages. A is your mother tongue or equivalent (i.e. a genuine bilingual could have two A languages). B is a foreign language you are able to interpret into as well as out of, and C is your third foreign language that is a source language, not a target language. The classification shows fairly clearly how proficient you should ideally be to claim A or B status in a language. IMO with C it\'s not quite so clear cut, but maybe someone can help out with that. You could check the website of the International Association of Conference Interpreters (www.aiic.net) for an explanation. I couldn\'t find any useful information straight away, but the site does carry loads of information on the profession.

HTH

Karin
Collapse

Sara Occhipinti Villar
Sara Occhipinti Villar  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 01:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
C has to be very good Feb 8, 2003

Dear Gillian,

I\'ve done the European Masters at Westminster (London), so I\'ll try to sum up the main points.

At least in London you should have an A-C-C combination if you\'re native English, that means, in your case English-German-French(?).That\'s the minimum, since you\'ll find people with A-C-C-C...

The point is that C languages have to be strong enough to be able to do consecutive and simultaneous interpreting. That means, you have to understand them almost p
... See more
Dear Gillian,

I\'ve done the European Masters at Westminster (London), so I\'ll try to sum up the main points.

At least in London you should have an A-C-C combination if you\'re native English, that means, in your case English-German-French(?).That\'s the minimum, since you\'ll find people with A-C-C-C...

The point is that C languages have to be strong enough to be able to do consecutive and simultaneous interpreting. That means, you have to understand them almost perfectly. In fact, they train you on techniques in interpreting, taking for granted that you know your languages perfectly and therefore, your doubts about meaning and words are very rare...

The entry exam evaluates your knowledge and understanding of your C languages, your memory and concentration capacity, your ability to catch the meaning of messages and summarize them, your ability to express yourself in your mother tongue. First, you do written translations from your C languages into your mother tongue. Afterwards comes the oral exam, when they read out a speech (4-5 min) in each one of your C languages and, withouth taking notes, you have to explain it in your mother tongue. You also have to undergo a written exam which evaluates your general knowledge (it\'s about current affairs, EU, NATO, etc.)

So, first be sure you have all the C languages you need, and then try it: the interpreting world is a marvellous one!

Good luck, and let me know if you need more advise.

Cheers,

Sara
Collapse

Jowita (X)
Jowita (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
aptitude test Jun 15, 2003

Sara Occhipinti Villar wrote:

Dear Gillian,
I've done the European Masters at Westminster (London), so I'll try to sum up the main points.
At least in London you should have an A-C-C combination if you're native English, that means, in your case English-German-French(?).That's the minimum, since you'll find people with A-C-C-C...
The point is that C languages have to be strong enough to be able to do consecutive and simultaneous interpreting. That means, you have to understand them almost perfectly. In fact, they train you on techniques in interpreting, taking for granted that you know your languages perfectly and therefore, your doubts about meaning and words are very rare...
The entry exam evaluates your knowledge and understanding of your C languages, your memory and concentration capacity, your ability to catch the meaning of messages and summarize them, your ability to express yourself in your mother tongue. First, you do written translations from your C languages into your mother tongue. Afterwards comes the oral exam, when they read out a speech (4-5 min) in each one of your C languages and, withouth taking notes, you have to explain it in your mother tongue. You also have to undergo a written exam which evaluates your general knowledge (it's about current affairs, EU, NATO, etc.)
So, first be sure you have all the C languages you need, and then try it: the interpreting world is a marvellous one!
Good luck, and let me know if you need more advise.
Cheers,
Sara

Jowita (X)
Jowita (X)
Polish to English
+ ...
aptitude test Jun 15, 2003

[Dear Sara,
I am taking the aptitude test for MA Conference Interpreting.
I have been informed that I would have to translate approx. one page from English into my native language(Polish) and vice versa. Time allowed is one hour for each and I cannot use a dictionary. I am not an experienced translator and it usually takes me longer to translate such a text. What sort of texts are they? Many thanks for your feedback.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

European Masters in Conference Interpreting

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »