Getting established in New Zealand
Thread poster: Martina Höppner
Martina Höppner  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:26
English to German
+ ...
Apr 18, 2007

Hi there!

I am about to move to New Zealand and don't know anything about translation business over there. Who knows something about it and can help me?

What do I have to do to issue invoices? Do I need and how will I get a tax number? Is there an accreditation special to New Zealand or would it be good to take the NAATI test?

Thanks so much in advance!
Martina

Direct link Reply with quote

Damian Harrison
Germany
Local time: 01:26
German to English
Might help a wee bit Apr 18, 2007

Hi Martina, I am a Kiwi and have been living in Germany for the past 13 years, so the advice I can give you is very limited. What I can say is that you will generally find all of the official institutions - even the tax service - to be extremely helpful and friendly. Maybe it is the dying remains of the "civil servant" tradition or perhaps folks there are just plain nice - I can´t say. While in Germany you often need to be very careful when dealing with Beamten and Ämter, I would just go straight out and tell people what you need to know. Someone there is bound to help you. Most of the institutions also produce "How to" leaflets that are not only readable (as opposed to the infamous Merkblätter of the BfA etc), but also useful.
So go get ´em and good luck to you.
Damian

P.S. The New Zealand Immigration Servive website has a lot of good stuff and the Berlin embassy also has loads of broschures - make sure you also get the list of useful addresses (web & real. If you are moving with a Kiwi partner take him/her to the embassy with you - you get a lot more help that way.

[Edited at 2007-04-18 09:44]

SvetlanaS  Identity Verified
English to Russian
Hi Martina, welcome to New Zealand! Apr 18, 2007

I'm relatively new "new kiwi", so I'm sharing what I know - not more:)
You can obtain more info by visiting the web site of NZSTI (New Zealand Society of Translators and Interpreters) - www.nzsti.org.
NAATI is considered as reliable and acceptable accreditation.
Cheers,
Sv

xxxPaul Roige
Spain
Local time: 01:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
IRD number Apr 18, 2007

IRD number compulsory. They'll love to have you on their books too All the info here:
http://www.ird.govt.nz/

Martina Höppner  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Apr 28, 2007

Thanks to everybody. I bet this will help me in getting started. Since two of my important customers have signalised that they don't care, where I live, I will be able to start working right away – so I'm confident that everything will work out fine.
See you in New Zealand, Svetlana!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting established in New Zealand

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs