Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
If you had to teach someone to use Trados, how long would it take?
Thread poster: Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)
Louise Dupont (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:08
English to French
Dec 22, 2002

I\'m reading the tutorials on Trados and there is a lot of things I don\'t understand.

Is it really complicated? If you had to teach someone how to use it how much time would you take (if the student was a good one of course). On paper it seem hard but sometimes in real life it\'s easy.

Thanks a lot.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:08
English to German
+ ...
Attend a training course Dec 22, 2002

As with any professional tool (i.e. one that you want to use making a living), you should invest in proper training - the investment will be amortised thanks to your more efficient handling of the software.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
I would allow a day. Dec 22, 2002

Although I am not a TRADOS user (I do not translate anymore), I took the time to familiarize myself with the tool. It took me about a day and a half to get comfortable with TRADOS Freelance 5.5 on my own.

I think you are right in presuming that it is easier when demonstrated. Though I have never done it, I imagine that having learned the basics of TRADOS, I could pass on that information to someone else in 1/2 to 1/3 of the time it took me to learn it from paper.

... See more
Although I am not a TRADOS user (I do not translate anymore), I took the time to familiarize myself with the tool. It took me about a day and a half to get comfortable with TRADOS Freelance 5.5 on my own.

I think you are right in presuming that it is easier when demonstrated. Though I have never done it, I imagine that having learned the basics of TRADOS, I could pass on that information to someone else in 1/2 to 1/3 of the time it took me to learn it from paper.

So I would say a day is long enough for one person to get another started. Half day for a tech-savy student. (Times would vary significantly from tool to tool, of course.)

CAT tool cross-training might be a nice theme for a powwow.
Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Both Ralf & Henry have some good points here Dec 22, 2002

Good afternoon,

If the person really wants to get the maximum out of Trados (especially) - I would say that attending the official training session would be beneficial for most people.

However, I really think that it depends on the student.

Some people just have a natural penchant (a knack) for learning how to use new software, and all they need is a short hands-on demonstration.... others need full-training just to start understand
... See more
Good afternoon,

If the person really wants to get the maximum out of Trados (especially) - I would say that attending the official training session would be beneficial for most people.

However, I really think that it depends on the student.

Some people just have a natural penchant (a knack) for learning how to use new software, and all they need is a short hands-on demonstration.... others need full-training just to start understanding how the whole thing works.

I agree with Henry on the amount of time it would take me to show someone else.

Nath

[ This Message was edited by:on2002-12-22 16:39]
Collapse

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
It took me a day... Dec 22, 2002

and 3 more years up to the present.

Just kidding. I mean that the rest is practice.

You need some time (a day can be enough) to learn how to start the program, build up a memory from scratch, import and export memories, etc., the basics, bah.

Then, applying trial and error, resourcing to colleagues who also use the program and to the Trados support service, you can real
... See more
and 3 more years up to the present.

Just kidding. I mean that the rest is practice.

You need some time (a day can be enough) to learn how to start the program, build up a memory from scratch, import and export memories, etc., the basics, bah.

Then, applying trial and error, resourcing to colleagues who also use the program and to the Trados support service, you can really get the necessary expertise and obtain the best form this program.

Hope this helps you decide
Collapse

English to French
+ ...
Excellent idea Henry! Dec 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-22 16:26, Henry wrote:

...CAT tool cross-training might be a nice theme for a powwow....

You have my vote on this one Henry!

Nath

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
So do it! Dec 22, 2002

We won\'t be organizing powwows with trainings, at least not in right away. Just an idea for anyone with the initiative...

English to French
+ ...
I don't stay long enough in one place!!! Dec 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-12-22 17:33, Henry wrote:

We won\'t be organizing powwows with trainings, at least not in right away. Just an idea for anyone with the initiative...

I will keep this in mind Henry - but at the moment I do not stay long enough in one country to look after something like this:

I\'ll be in Miami from Dec. 29th to Jan. 18th, then back to Barbados for a few mont... See more
Quote:

On 2002-12-22 17:33, Henry wrote:

I will keep this in mind Henry - but at the moment I do not stay long enough in one country to look after something like this:

I\'ll be in Miami from Dec. 29th to Jan. 18th, then back to Barbados for a few months (which would not be a suitable location for a Powwow unfortunately), then back to Canada for a few months... and then.... I have a few other travel plans in the works, not even counting my attendance at the ATA in AZ in November

If you want me to organize this, you\'ll first have to catch me

But I am sure that somehow we can get this going... a good idea is born, we can make it work!

Nath ▲ Collapse

Louise Dupont (X)
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Dec 22, 2002

Now I have to find me a trainer, or wait for a powwow with training near Montreal.

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Louise, stick to the basic features Dec 22, 2002

As with any new software proficiency comes through practice. Don\'t get lost by reading about sophisticated features, that will come later.I would try to get the basics, which are not complicated.

I\'m sure training can be a good thing, but I never took a single lesson to use a computer when I started in this 15 years ago, I really think it is better to learn by yourself, it is as if you established a dialogue with the software, you got to know how it thinks (works) so to s
... See more
As with any new software proficiency comes through practice. Don\'t get lost by reading about sophisticated features, that will come later.I would try to get the basics, which are not complicated.

I\'m sure training can be a good thing, but I never took a single lesson to use a computer when I started in this 15 years ago, I really think it is better to learn by yourself, it is as if you established a dialogue with the software, you got to know how it thinks (works) so to say And the more you do it, the easier it becomes to enter these strange plastic beings\' minds

Good luck!
Collapse

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:08
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
It depends on the task Dec 23, 2002

Teaching how to translate Word or PowerPoint files with Trados does not take that long, but when it comes to FrameMaker or Trados Packages than it gets much more complicated. But I think that the most difficult part is first understanding how to handle the databases, and in particular the conversion to/from MutliTerm.

mmachado (X)
mmachado (X)
English to Portuguese
Practice goes a long way Dec 24, 2002

Hi,

Trados is very easy to use. Try to have someone who is willing enough to help you out whenever you have a difficulty with it and translate every job with it. Any file in MSWord can be translated with Trados, no matter what.

After a while you will get the grasp of it and you will want to learn some more. At that stage you will be able look for help on the Help menu all by yourself.

Maybe we could have a Proz Member in every countr
... See more
Hi,

Trados is very easy to use. Try to have someone who is willing enough to help you out whenever you have a difficulty with it and translate every job with it. Any file in MSWord can be translated with Trados, no matter what.

After a while you will get the grasp of it and you will want to learn some more. At that stage you will be able look for help on the Help menu all by yourself.

Maybe we could have a Proz Member in every country willing to give some help on Trados to other members in that same country. I have done it before with Portuguese fellow translators. I don\'t know it all but most of the difficulties are not that problematic either. May be there is some people willing to help

All the best

Mónica Machado
Collapse

jinshi
jinshi
Local time: 22:08
English to Chinese
+ ...
Self-learning Dec 25, 2002

I remember the other day a kind colleague sent me a very simple self-learning 10 or 11-step procedure to get started with Trados Freelance. But the file was lost.

Just wonder if any of you could help find it and let\'s share it at Proz.com.

Jinshi

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Two interesting points made here Feb 10, 2003

1) I too would like to see thsi 10-step file, anybody out there who has it?

2) Louise, I\'ve orgnaised a successful pow-wow recently (hey, come to htink of it, where were you?) So let\'s do one again, this time in Montreal if you wish, with a knowledgeable Trados user who would take an afternoon with us.

I mention this because I have put out the word everywhere, even to the Trados people themselves, for training in my area, but no one has answered, not e
... See more
1) I too would like to see thsi 10-step file, anybody out there who has it?

2) Louise, I\'ve orgnaised a successful pow-wow recently (hey, come to htink of it, where were you?) So let\'s do one again, this time in Montreal if you wish, with a knowledgeable Trados user who would take an afternoon with us.

I mention this because I have put out the word everywhere, even to the Trados people themselves, for training in my area, but no one has answered, not even Trados.

I think there may have been a chap in Toronto at one time, but who has time to go to T.O.?
Collapse

Louise Dupont (X)
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Powwow in Montreal ??? When ?? Mar 18, 2003

Sorry Nancy Lynn, It was to far away from my home... But in May, I will spend a couple of days in Hull... and If it\'s in Montreal I\'ll be there ... for sure...

See you

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If you had to teach someone to use Trados, how long would it take?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »