Mobile menu

How long did it take you to get established?
Thread poster: alessandra bocco

alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:34
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 11, 2007

Hi everybody!
I've worked as a translator since January 2006 and I spent the first six months working full time with a team of colleagues on a very big project (two huge medical volumes). I was pregnant at that time, so I didn't look for any other job. My son was born in September and immediately after I started sending CVs around but I really devoted myself to job seeking in January: I joined proZ, started answering to proZ calls, sending CVs to Italian and foreign agencies, etc... but I'm working rather regularly only with one agency; the rest of the time I help the colleagues of the team I mentioned, when they don't have time for a particular translation. My son is 7 months old and I also have to take care of him, so it's not that bad, but I'm wondering how long it will take me to get really established! We need money at home, so if things won't work I'll have to find another job!! Thanks for your telling me your experience...

Direct link Reply with quote

Sanmar
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
Have patience and keep marketing yourself! May 11, 2007

It took me a couple of years before I was in the position I am in now, i.e. good, regular work which keeps me busy all week. I advise you to have patience and keep marketing yourself. This should eventually pay off when you build a good reputation amongst your clients. It is not uncommon to send out CV's etc and having to wait for quite some time before the agency/client concerned actually contacts you with a job. When they do it is your chance to prove yourself in the hope that they will then start to contact you more regularly. I did not get all that much work in the first couple of years and weeks would go by without any assignments whatsoever. Good luck!

Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
It takes some time... May 12, 2007

When I started out, I was in a similar situation - I finished uni, had been working freelance sort of in between classes all the time and then my daughter was born. I started working again when she was only three weeks old, but during the first year, I only took on a few jobs; the second year was better, and when she turned two and started kindergarten, I put a lot of effort into marketing myself and building professional relations.

So, don't give up, keep trying- send out CVs, apply for jobs, help with kudoz. It might take some time, but eventually you will get regular work.

All the best,
Carolin

alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your replies May 12, 2007

Thank you Sanmar and Caroline. I'll try not to get discouraged!

Herminia Herrándiz Espuny  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I was quite lucky May 12, 2007

I only needed 3 months to get stablished, during those months I kept sending CV (I am still sending it to any new reliable and interesting agency I find) and marketing myself... but I consider myself really lucky compared to my coleagues and specially the friends who graduated from uni on my same academic year since most of them haven't got the opportunity of working "only" as a translator yet

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
... May 15, 2007

The first time, I was lucky, it took some months (twenty years ago). But I did mainly DTP. Then I got two children within 18 months and had to start all over again, as a translator, this took three years.

In general, if it doesn't work within three years, you'd better do something else.

Caro Maucher  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Took me about 3 years... May 15, 2007

so hang in there! (c:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long did it take you to get established?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs