Thread poster: Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
Virginie Lafage
France
Local time: 12:34
English to French
Dec 5, 2001

Hi everybody,

Could someone help me to get started....???pls...what is the best way to do it..getting register with agency?? can anyone suggest a few.. i am french native and translate from french to english vice-versa..I really wanna become a freelance translator..but i don\'t seem to go to the right direction..nothing has come up yet.. If you could give me a few suggestion it would be great!! thanks to everyone who will ta
... See more
Hi everybody,

Could someone help me to get started....???pls...what is the best way to do it..getting register with agency?? can anyone suggest a few.. i am french native and translate from french to english vice-versa..I really wanna become a freelance translator..but i don\'t seem to go to the right direction..nothing has come up yet.. If you could give me a few suggestion it would be great!! thanks to everyone who will take time to read my message.

Merci

Sincerely, Virginie

Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:34
German to English
+ ...
Start at an agency or company with proofreading Dec 7, 2001

That is, how I started.

First thing I had to learn was that I overestimated my own abilities, when I \"corrected\" things that were actually correct.

Then, by reading other translators\' work, I collected know how and special vocabulary and felt comfortable, when I got my first real tranalstion appointment. Now, 21 years and 45 million words later, I can say that this was a very good training for me.

Derek Smith
Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
Italian to English
+ ...
considerations Dec 7, 2001

Hi Virginie

I guess it\'s difficult to get a foothold in the industry if you\'re starting from scratch. Why not try picking up a view private direct customers around your home area. Perhaps, at the same time, you could also contact a really big organization like Logos (www.logos.it). It might be beneficial to get an inside look at this kind of business: from my experience it is most helpful to work alongsid
... See more
Hi Virginie

I guess it\'s difficult to get a foothold in the industry if you\'re starting from scratch. Why not try picking up a view private direct customers around your home area. Perhaps, at the same time, you could also contact a really big organization like Logos (www.logos.it). It might be beneficial to get an inside look at this kind of business: from my experience it is most helpful to work alongside other professionals when you\'re learning. I advise against offering English as a target language - most \"good\" agencies take a dim view of people who claim to translate into anything other than their native language (which is not to imply that this is an impossible skill, but it is indeed rare). Finally, plug your Arab language skills and areas of specialization.

These are my thoughts, for what they are worth

In bocca al lupo

Derek
[addsig]
Collapse

Amanda Grey
Amanda Grey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:34
French to English
Getting started in France Dec 18, 2001

If anyone is thinking of setting up as a freelance translator in France, I have put together a (very informal and unofficial) document, setting out my experiences and trying to explain the complicated knots and loops of French red tape. If anyone is interested, send me an e-mail to [email protected]

Plesae note, the author cannot be held responsible for any decisions arising out of the blah blah blah (you know
... See more
If anyone is thinking of setting up as a freelance translator in France, I have put together a (very informal and unofficial) document, setting out my experiences and trying to explain the complicated knots and loops of French red tape. If anyone is interested, send me an e-mail to [email protected]

Plesae note, the author cannot be held responsible for any decisions arising out of the blah blah blah (you know what I mean!)

Amanda Grey
[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started...help..

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »