Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Mere "stinkers" offered here, for jobs?
Thread poster: Martin Wenzel

Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 08:56
English to German
+ ...
May 29, 2007

I have had some more time recently to check the jobs that are offered here at proz.com [Also, for about 4 weeks we have internet at home - I used to have to go to the cyber caf 3-5 times a week and I have been doing this for the last two years - indeed hard to believe...but I live in Morocco and not in Europe.]. Internet at home has made my life a bit easier, praise God!

I get the impression that the majority of jobs offered here are what I would call the "stinkers", in other words jobs that people don't want to do for whatever reason: badly paid, difficult format, hard to understand, tight deadlines...etc.

I don't want to be too negative and would appreciate replies that I am utterly mistaken....


[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-05-29 14:55]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giulia TAPPI  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:56
French to Italian
+ ...
I do agree, at least concerning the price May 29, 2007

I have a few good direct clients I regularly work for, but when I have some spare time I look at the offers on PROZ, and one or two of them seem sometimes related to my field of specialization.
But when I look at the price offered (e.g. 6 pages for tomorrow at 95 Euros overall!!!) I really wonder why I lost my time looking at this.
It the same for interpretation; I phoned once to somebody who was looking for an interpreter in Lyon, and she wanted to pay 200 Euros for a full day.

Good luck for you,

Giulia


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 08:56
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What would be an acceptable price for interpreting? May 29, 2007

For a whole day, I haven't a clue, Giulia?

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:56
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
That very much depends, Martin May 29, 2007

So it might not be a good idea to start suggesting actual amounts, here on the site.
I'm sure Giulia and others will reply in private, to this concern.
TIA
Angela
Moderator

Martin Wenzel wrote:

For a whole day, I haven't a clue, Giulia?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:56
Italian to English
The good jobs tend not to be offered publicly May 29, 2007

Martin Wenzel wrote:

I get the impression that the majority of jobs offered here are what I would call the "stinkers", in other words jobs that people don't want to do for whatever reason: badly paid, difficult format, hard to understand, tight deadlines...etc.

I don't want to be too negative and would appreciate replies that I am utterly mistaken....


Hi Martin,

You're quite right if you're talking about the jobs that are offered "publicly", as it were.

There are, however, other jobs that clients offer privately, having first identified translators with appropriate specialisations and experience through ProZ's directory search and the translators' own profiles.

Some of these clients stipulate budget limits but most simply ask for a quote for the job.

You'll get more out of ProZ if you tweak your profile to improve your ranking in the language combinations and specialisations that provide your most profitable work so that prospective clients with good jobs can find you quickly.

FWIW

Giles


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 08:56
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good one, Giles!!! May 29, 2007

It is incredible, how good you can read between the lines, Giles!!!

I take your point Giles, my weak point is that I am just hopeless when it comes to selling my services...

Any private suggestions to my private email address would be appreciated if you do take the time...


Thanks




Martin


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 08:56
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oops, Angela May 29, 2007

I feel like Brittney Spears now, saying: Oops, I shouldn't have... :=)

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:56
Italian to English
Henry and Jason explain how to get the best out of the system May 29, 2007

Martin Wenzel wrote:

I take your point Giles, my weak point is that I am just hopeless when it comes to selling my services...

Any private suggestions to my private email address would be appreciated if you do take the time...



Hi again, Martin.

You could start by reading Henry and Jason's tips at:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/categories/ProZ.com-Site-Features/

Then:

Check where you are in the ProZ directory *in your language combinations and specialisations*;

Make sure your profile is as complete as possible.

Keep racking up KudoZ points *in your language combinations and specialisations*;

Check the ProZ directory periodically to make sure your visibility is still good.

Cheers,

Giles


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:56
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Absolutely fine, Martin May 29, 2007

It happens all the time, but if you think about it, it would be like me telling you that tomatoes cost 3 euros a kilo, because that's what I pay for them here.
You are providing a service and you have to decide what you need to earn to stay alive (and some, I hope!) and be comfortable in the place where you live.
No one can do that for you. although we can hope that you won't charge such low rates that you will put others out of the running ....

Giles is absolutely the right person to heed in this case!
Cheers
Angela



Martin Wenzel wrote:

I feel like Brittney Spears now, saying: Oops, I shouldn't have... :=)


Direct link Reply with quote
 
CLIVE PYGOTT  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
French to English
You "took the words out of my mouth" as we say in the UK May 29, 2007

I have not been a member for long. I'm a technical translator and I have noticed that there are some very poor prices offered for work. As a result, I rarely get work from Proz because I refuse to work for peanuts (we say: "Pay peanuts, get monkeys"). I know it is difficult if you are struggling to make a living, but working for peanuts makes it worse for all of us ultimately. There are some very good agencies out there and some very bad ones in this sense.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Martin Wenzel
Germany
Local time: 08:56
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am sure we (both) get reprimanded for discussing ...tomatoes May 29, 2007

However, [this is an off-subject] and, Angela, indeed I noticed that over X-mas when I went home to Germany, the tomatoes did cost 3 Euro the kilo (and I am sure they were imported from Morocco).

I have listened to Gile's advice and read Henry's suggestions...

I think the proz.com forum is great, even though I wanted to switch to another forum due to a major bust up with a forum moderator ...and some others, who insisted on this silly "GIVE US MORE CONTEXT" issue.

I can now emphasize as it is difficult to help others if no or only little context is provided...

But, I feel the problem has sorted itself out now...and it makes me smile when I see, how others are also struggling over this context issue.

I am glad I stayed because sometimes, in a controversy, both parties may be right or wrong at the same time, which seems contradictory (from a mathematical point of view), but isn't. This is the time when we have to show a bit of "stickability"...

Thanks for being so patient with me, moderator!!!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:26
English to Hindi
+ ...
on rates and prices May 29, 2007

Angela Arnone wrote:

It happens all the time, but if you think about it, it would be like me telling you that tomatoes cost 3 euros a kilo, because that's what I pay for them here.



Angel-a, I think I would be glad to pay 3 euros a kilo for tomatoes in Ortona, Italy rather than pay 1 euro a kilo in New Delhi, India. And if I buy a one litre tomato juice from the supermarket, I'll pay 1.50 euros for it. How's it like there, Angela?

Roomy

[Edited at 2007-05-29 19:06]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:56
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
OT - Tomato juice? May 29, 2007

It's very expensive here! No one drinks it - we use our tomatoes to make pasta sauce.
You know you're always welcome in Ortona, Roomy, tomatoes or no tomatoes!
And I would still like to see New Delhi some day ... tomatoes or no tomatoes!
Sorry for digressing, folks.
Angela

Roomy Naqvy wrote:

Angela Arnone wrote:

It happens all the time, but if you think about it, it would be like me telling you that tomatoes cost 3 euros a kilo, because that's what I pay for them here.



Angel-a, I think I would be glad to pay 3 euros a kilo for tomatoes in Ortona, Italy rather than pay 1 euro a kilo in New Delhi, India. And if I buy a one litre tomato juice from the supermarket, I'll pay 1.50 euros for it. How's it like there, Angela?

Roomy

[Edited at 2007-05-29 19:06]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mere "stinkers" offered here, for jobs?

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs