What about Alex Eames' book?
Thread poster: alessandra bocco

alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:15
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 5, 2007

I'm trying to get established as a freelancer, but I find it really difficult...
A couple of days ago I read about Alex Eames' website and about his book. Did anybody of you read it? Can you tell me whether it is worth its price? I'm not planning to earn 80000 dollars this year, but I'd really like to start working in a decent manner...

Direct link Reply with quote

kenbe  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:15
German to English
It's worth the investment Jun 5, 2007

I'd recommend it

It gives you plenty of useful tips and dos and don'ts. I bought the e-book about 4 years ago. I printed it out and left it lying around the office to pick up and browse through as and when I got the chance. If you are starting out it's a great guide and if you aren't, plenty of the information in it sticks in the back of your mind. As regards getting work with it, make sure you get a copy of Alex's Tranmail list with the book. I got the list free with it. You can read the book and make your preparations then use the list to make your contacts. When I used the list I got too many job offers to deal with and agencies I originally wrote to in 2003 are still getting in touch. I translate from German into English btw.

Good luck!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Alex's book is worth it Jun 5, 2007

alessandra bocco wrote:
A couple of days ago I read about Alex Eames' website and about his book. Did anybody of you read it?

Yes. It is worth it.

Olga Watkin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
Agree Jun 5, 2007

I have also found the book useful. Some tips are quite obvious, but I have learnt a great deal from the book. I bought it and read it about 2-3 months ago (I haven't tried to send out CVs yet though). Incidentally, when I joined the Institute of Translation & Interpreting, it was mentioned in one of the booklets I received in an introductory pack (and that's why I bought it!).

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Worth it even without Tranmail Jun 5, 2007

Another opinion in support of the book. The advice in it helped me get started even though I didn't do mailings to agencies.

At the same time as I bought the book, I also bought two paper books on getting started as a translator. I had seen those books recommended and praised on several forums, but Alex Eames's book was much better written, with more relevant and useful advice. If I had known, I would not have bought the other books.

alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So I'll buy it Jun 5, 2007

Thank you very much. I'll buy it and I hope to get plenty of job offers as kenbe did...

Boris Sigalov
Local time: 03:15
English to Russian
I do like Alex's style Jun 5, 2007

Olga Watkin wrote:

Some tips are quite obvious, but I have learnt a great deal from the book.

I agree with Olga: some tips you will find in Alex's book are quite obvious but here I would like to quote one passage from the book:

Alex Eames wrote:

The problem with common sense is that it's not that common.

I think the book is quite useful for beginners.

Andrea Brumma
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Another recommendation Jun 5, 2007

I'd recommend Alex Eames' book, too. It contains some good advice for beginners.

For all people who like Alex Eames, I'd also recommend "Ready for Anything" from David Allen. It is NOT about translation, but about productivity principles for work & life. It has helped me to be more productive, more self-confident (important when you want to win new clients or raise your rates) and more relaxed. It contains good advice for your work and your personal life. It will keep you going when obstacles appear in your way. I have read it 4 times and it won't be the last time.

Andrea

lingomania
Local time: 10:15
Italian to English
Any links? Jun 5, 2007

Does anyone here have any serious links to his website and/or book site? Thank you.

Rob

Boris Sigalov
Local time: 03:15
English to Russian
For Rob Jun 5, 2007

lingomania wrote:

Does anyone here have any serious links to his website and/or book site?

Rob,

The book is called How to Earn $80,000+ per year as a
Freelance Translator. Here is a link:

http://www.translatortips.com/ht50.html

[Edited at 2007-06-05 23:27]

Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:15
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely Jun 7, 2007

Yes, I recommend it too. I bought it right after I got my degree, and I found it interesting and useful. I've never made as much money as he suggests, but it was helpful to get established.

Good luck!

Elizabeth

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Not just for beginners Jun 10, 2007

I bought Alex's book 6 or 7 years ago and still read it occasionally as a sort of "sanity check" on how our business is running. I enjoy the flamboyant style, and the points he makes are very good. Even if you do things a bit differently, his is an excellent reference model for business.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What about Alex Eames' book?

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs