CV conventions, getting it right
Thread poster: Natalie Wilcock
Natalie Wilcock  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
German
+ ...
Jan 7, 2003

Having never had to send out a CV in English, or German for that matter, for several years I am a little outdated on the conventions (if such still exist in our digital age) of writing a decent CV. Anybody any ideas or links they would like to share? Have scoured the Getting Established and Being Independent fora but couldn\'t find anything concrete on this subject. Your help would be appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:10
Member (2002)
French to English
See November-December ATA Chronicle Jan 7, 2003

The article by Greenfield & Waldes in the current issue (also available online) is full of useful tips.

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Link posted here a few months(?) ago Jan 7, 2003

I\'d forgotten I had it until you mentioned CVs. Gives a North American perspective on \"international\" practices that might be of interest to you.

http://resume.monster.ca/dosanddonts/resumechoices/

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
My suggestion Jan 7, 2003

Don\'t write a conventional CV.

If you\'re working as a freelance translator, you\'re not looking for a job, you\'re offering your services to potential clients.

Think in terms of business cards, brochures, and an effective presentation letter.

In my experience, if you sell yourself as a pro, you\'ll be treated (and paid) as a pro.

Karin Adamczyk  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
Absolutely! Jan 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-07 19:18, Terry Gilman wrote:

I\'d forgotten I had it until you mentioned CVs. Gives a North American perspective on \"international\" practices that might be of interest to you.

http://resume.monster.ca/dosanddonts/resumechoices/

It is very important to consider where you are sending your CV. What is considered appropriate in North America is completely different from what is expected in Europe or other countries.

I adapted my sister-in-law\'s resume a few months ago and found many differences. She is from Germany and her resume was a complete portfolio with a listing of all the positions she has held, a full description of these positions, copies of all her degrees, copies of letters of recommendations from all employers, a current picture and details that we do not include. In fact, any missing bits are considered very bad because they show that something is missing. They even present their experience in a different order than we do here.

HTH,

Karin Adamczyk

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Marketing materials for free agents Jan 7, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-07 20:20, Dyran wrote:

If you\'re working as a freelance translator, you\'re not looking for a job, you\'re offering your services to potential clients.

Think in terms of business cards, brochures, and an effective presentation letter.

\"Agree\"

See http://resume.monster.ca/dilemmas/needaresume/ for some further discussion of these ideas.

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
My sentiments exactly... Jan 7, 2003

Nothing more to add.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-01-07 20:20, Dyran wrote:

Don\'t write a conventional CV.

In my experience, if you sell yourself as a pro, you\'ll be treated (and paid) as a pro.

Natalie Wilcock  Identity Verified
German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice, folks Jan 8, 2003

I currently live in the Middle East but my clients are mostly in Europe, some in Canada, so the information about different conventions across the \'pond\' was invaluable.

Have a good day, and keep up the good work.

Natalie

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
To CV or not to CV Jan 8, 2003

Hi Karin,

>>It is very important to consider where you are sending your CV. What is considered appropriate in North America is completely different from what is expected in Europe or other countries.

Gianfranco Zecchino  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Questions... Jan 16, 2003

Hallo everybody!

Ok, I\'ve just finished slogging on my CV just to find out that I should write a business card, a brochure and/or an effective presentation letter instead.

There are some questions though:

1) As a beginner, I\'m not sure I will start directly with direct clients. I\'d rather contact agencies first and get experience there. Don\'t you think that brochures etc. are something to be sent (only) to direct clients?

2) What is exactly a business card? And a brochure? What are the differences and the specifical \"needs\" of each of them, especially when dealing with our field?

Are there national peculiarities?

3) What should one use in the various countries? It wouldn\'t be a bad idea to make a little list of what agencies and direct clients want... I\'m from Italy but living in Germany and hope to work for agencies in English-speaking countries.

All right, I guess at that moment I\'ve no other question.

And don\'t forget: all for one and one for all!

Ciao

Gianfranco

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
More on business cards and brochures Jan 16, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-16 16:00, G Zecchino wrote:

Don\'t you think that brochures etc. are something to be sent (only) to direct clients?

Not at all. All my present clients are agencies.

Quote:

2) What is exactly a business card? And a brochure?

You mean you\'ve never actually seen a sample of either one? That\'s interesting.

Could it be that they are not common in Italy or Germany? Here (USA) pretty much all service providers have them.

Quote:

I\'m from Italy but living in Germany and hope to work for agencies in English-speaking countries.

My experience doesn\'t include those countries, but my marketing material seems to work well for Japan, UK, Mexico, USA, Spain, Canada, and Sweden.

Quote:

And don\'t forget: all for one and one for all!

You\'re kidding, right?

Gianfranco Zecchino  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
It's me again (doubts stay...) Jan 17, 2003

Hi again,

and thanks Dyran for your input.

As I said: I\'m a beginner, which means there are still (many) things for me to be learned.

One of them is the difference between brochures, business cards and all sorts of marketing material (and the way they are made in the different countries).

Sure I could make a search on Google, but I thought I would find something more \"translation-oriented\" on ProZ (one of the reason for ProZ\'s success is its richness of information, right?).

Could anybody suggest me where to look for infos and material of this sort, especially if dealing with our field? I\'d very much appreciate any help (and that\'s what I meant with \"all for one and one for all\": namely reciprocal help, exchange of information - not clients/agencies\' addresses...).

Well, that\'s it at the moment.

See you soon!

Gianfranco

Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Italian to English
+ ...
A web page/web presence is a great tool... Jan 17, 2003

Some kind of web presence - whether a profile page such as the ones here, foreignword, etc - or a full web page - is important nowadays, particularly if you\'re just starting to recruit clients (be they direct or agencies). Most agencies prefer email contact judging from the couple of lists I\'ve seen floating around (Glenn\'s list - no longer available, and the translist). It\'s importatant to be able to offer prospective clients a single-click point of reference for all your contact and services information. You could assemble a list of agencies from pretty much any phone book and send hard-copy materials to them, but in the case of someone just starting to drum up clients, it\'s usually expensive and the response rate isn\'t all that great. I do strongly recommend business cards as well... I\'ve gotten a few clients just by being in the right place at the right time. I would not have gotten them I\'m sure, had I not had a card to hand them with all my contact info.

I\'m sure that there are many other effective ways to promote yourself, but those two have really proven to be effective in my case.

R.

==

Quote:

On 2003-01-17 01:04, 1964 wrote:

However in the age of internet, Web pages are more important than other means, you present your \"brochure\", \"business card\" in a Web page all over the world.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CV conventions, getting it right

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums