Thread poster: Elis Gabriela Sanchez Juarez
Elis Gabriela Sanchez Juarez
Elis Gabriela Sanchez Juarez
Mexico
Local time: 14:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 11, 2003

Here I am once again appealing to your goodheartedness. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

First of all, does anyone know how I can upgrade my CV in the proz profile? I\'m sure there must be a way but I can\'t figure it out.

My second point has something to do with the first one. Please don\'t go on and check on my resume, because it stinks. I know it, that\'s why I wanted to upgrade it. The real problem is that the new version isn\'t much better than the old one. The thin
... See more
Here I am once again appealing to your goodheartedness. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

First of all, does anyone know how I can upgrade my CV in the proz profile? I\'m sure there must be a way but I can\'t figure it out.

My second point has something to do with the first one. Please don\'t go on and check on my resume, because it stinks. I know it, that\'s why I wanted to upgrade it. The real problem is that the new version isn\'t much better than the old one. The thing is, I haven\'t been able to sensibly portrait my assets and abilities. I read it and I just know it\'s the kind of resume someone without any real experience would write; it\'s so vague, so obscure, I hate it!!! But I just can\'t fix it.

Mind me, none of it is invented, it isn\'t even bloated. But when I read it I feel (I know) nobody who reads it will believe a word of it. The absence of real facts in it or solid references make it unbelievable and untrustable. And I know it is a problem because, altough all the people who have employed me have always come back, my c.v. by itself has never gotten me one single job.

The thing is, I started translating 6 years ago. I was 17 then, and I got the jobs from my father, who works for what used to be Prentice Hall. Of course, he would only assign me the simplest jobs, e.g. the guides for the use of software (my dad translated many of the \"Idiot\'s Guides\" in México). This was a great two year experience in actual translation; even tough my dad did the proofreading before delivering (and still does, when we happen to work together), I was the one who did the translation, and I learned a lot from it. Obviously it is impossible to verify this reference, because Prentice Hall never heard of me and my name doesn\'t appear anywhere in the translations. I couldn\'t get a job by myself because I needed some kind of certification, so I studied the only serious-minded translation program in my city. When I got my diploma it turned out to be quite useless. To this day, no one has ever given me a job on account of my studies. I started getting work from a good friend who started a small agency, and then again I was working through somebody else. I am currently working for a small company that translates automobile literature, and I guess that\'s a reliable reference but then again I\'ve been working there for only three months.

So to shorten my story (which I am afraid is already too long), I am doing OK, but I think I could do much better. I have lots of spare time because I have few costumers, and I would like to get more. I am aware that most of the times the c.v. is the only means of attracting a new costumer\'s attention to myself, and I know mine isn\'t working because I don\'t know how to pinpoint my achievements. I am particularly interested in getting work through the web because the pay is so much better (in my country you can count yourself lucky if you get a rate of 4 euros per page in a medium-sized job).

So please, any suggestions you may have on how I can construct my c.v. so it becomes more impressive will be greatly welcomed.

Thank you for your great patience and generosity, have a great day today, and look at the sky.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:24
English to German
+ ...
Parallel thread Jan 11, 2003

Have you had a look at www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic_id=7496&forum_id=15?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help me with my CV

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »