New to freelancing
Thread poster: Xiamin
Xiamin
Xiamin
Local time: 05:23
Chinese to English
Jul 19, 2007

I have finally decided to pursue freelance translation work. I've read several entries in the getting established and money matters sections which have been extremely helpful. I posted a copy of my CV in my profile, under 'about me', and would appreciate any constructive criticism/suggestions. I will also be setting up my own website soon. In the meantime, I was planning to apply directly to some translation agencies. Does anyone have any hints or tips for me that may have been overlooked?... See more
I have finally decided to pursue freelance translation work. I've read several entries in the getting established and money matters sections which have been extremely helpful. I posted a copy of my CV in my profile, under 'about me', and would appreciate any constructive criticism/suggestions. I will also be setting up my own website soon. In the meantime, I was planning to apply directly to some translation agencies. Does anyone have any hints or tips for me that may have been overlooked? (there are a lot of forum topics to get through!) Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2007-07-19 19:30]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Buy this book Jul 19, 2007

Xiamin wrote:
I have finally decided to pursue freelance translation work.

Buy this e-book:
http://www.translatortips.com/ht50.html

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
The book looks interesting, but... Jul 19, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

Buy this e-book:
http://www.translatortips.com/ht50.html

...it only comes in e-book format, as far as I can see in this promo. The last thing I want to do after translating all day is read a book online! I suppose I could print it out, but it would be so much better if there were a regular version of this book (like the one in the picture...maybe it actually exists).

Amy

Albertina Avdic
Albertina Avdic  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:23
English to Croatian
+ ...
Send your resume... Jul 20, 2007

...to many translations companies! I started like that over 10 years ago and did not even have a profile on any of the web pages - like proz.com or aquarius.net... nor web site and I was always swamped with work (well, I also worked FT until yesterday and did translations/proof/edit/voice over on a side). Translation companies are always looking for the "back-translations" and that is what you'll be doing - from Chinese into US English. Good luck!

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Question to Samuel Jul 20, 2007

Hi Samuel,

It is funny you mention Alex Eames' book, since I always wondered whether people actually bought it! Did you actually get it and use it? And most of all, did it work??!
Thanks for your feedback)

Annelise

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:23
Member (2007)
English to Russian
good question Jul 20, 2007

Annelise Meyer wrote:

And most of all, did it work??!

Annelise

My question as well=)
I haven't heard about this particular book, but I can't trust any book, that is called like:
Make $100,000 ($500,000, $1,000,000, lots of cash) in a week (day, month, year, right now) by making toys (stock trading, cleanig streets, selling drugs, doing nothing).

Please forgive my scepsis=)

[Edited at 2007-07-20 12:23]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Answers Jul 20, 2007

Annelise Meyer wrote:
Did you actually get it and use it? And most of all, did it work??!

I bought it at the beginning of this year. I read it in two days flat. I reread sections of it. Much of it is common sense, but it is really, really useful for anyone starting out on fulltime freelancing (or even parttime). I'm applying some of it (though not as much of it as I should). I'm currently making money (but not $80 000).

Don't let the title put you off. Ignore the title. Read the content.

[Edited at 2007-07-20 13:18]

Xiamin
Xiamin
Local time: 05:23
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 20, 2007

..for the responses. I too tend to be skeptical of 'business' book recommendations, I went to the website and read the whole description, but I didn't see a price..I'm glad it is working for someone though!

I have to do this in addition to other work right now, ultimately hoping to move to translation full-time. Is this possible, or should I expect to depend on alternate income as well?

Should I get a paypal account/is it the best way to go?

How import
... See more
..for the responses. I too tend to be skeptical of 'business' book recommendations, I went to the website and read the whole description, but I didn't see a price..I'm glad it is working for someone though!

I have to do this in addition to other work right now, ultimately hoping to move to translation full-time. Is this possible, or should I expect to depend on alternate income as well?

Should I get a paypal account/is it the best way to go?

How important are certifications/professional memberships to the newbie w/o an established client base?

Do I need a small business license?

Sorry if some of the above have been addressed before, but I read the forums until my eyes blurred ( but at least I got answers about insurance and CAT/Trados, went to their website, checked out one individual's website which was very nice, etc) so I thought maybe I should just consolidate these remaining questions...

I know I have a lot to learn, and appreciate anyone taking the time to respond.
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
German to English
+ ...
A couple more books Jul 20, 2007

A couple more books that cover the practicalities are

Morry Sofer's The Translator's Handbook

and

small business/home business books by Paul and Sarah Edwards:

Getting Business to Come to You
Working from Home
etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to freelancing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »