Billing EU from the UK
Thread poster: Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:42
Spanish to English
Jan 25, 2003

Having recently moved back to the UK from Spain, I have read forum entries on working here with great interest (thanks everyone for their past input - very helpful!), but I still have a few questions.

Which number should I put on my bills, my NI no. or my tax no.??(which I haven\'t got yet and I was told over the phone by the self-employed helpline that it wasn\'t necessary to put this on the bill, but I know what agencies in Spain can be like if there\'s no number)
... See more
Having recently moved back to the UK from Spain, I have read forum entries on working here with great interest (thanks everyone for their past input - very helpful!), but I still have a few questions.

Which number should I put on my bills, my NI no. or my tax no.??(which I haven\'t got yet and I was told over the phone by the self-employed helpline that it wasn\'t necessary to put this on the bill, but I know what agencies in Spain can be like if there\'s no number)

As I will be billing in euros, when do I convert this into pounds? (day I bill, day I get paid, day I do tax return???)

Thanks very much for your help!
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
Invoicing from the UK Jan 25, 2003

I usually sign my invoice when they go to Spain. That resolves the problem of not including a fiscal number of some sort. The only number that you will get that I can think of is a National Insurance Number and I cannot see any relevance for Spain.

In theory, you should use the exchange rate of the day that you invoice. I often forget though.

I usually use the following site for the conversion:

... See more
I usually sign my invoice when they go to Spain. That resolves the problem of not including a fiscal number of some sort. The only number that you will get that I can think of is a National Insurance Number and I cannot see any relevance for Spain.

In theory, you should use the exchange rate of the day that you invoice. I often forget though.

I usually use the following site for the conversion:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Good luck!

Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
OOOPS ... why didn't I take that down? Jan 25, 2003

A friend in the same position had the same problem. She was told to get some number from her tax office, which the tax employees didn\'t have the faintest inkling about (it\'s a brand-new regulation). All self-employed persons in the UK working with countries in the EU are supposed to have it. Keep insisting - tell them to look under new requirements.

kostan
kostan
Austria
German to English
+ ...
EU Value added tax identification number Jan 26, 2003

This is a tax identification that obviates the need to charge VAT to VAT registered customers within the EU. You need to show your own ID and that of your customer on your invoice and have to confirm the correctness of the ID-number for each customer with your local tax authority. This is important when your your VAT declaration is audited by the tax authorities, who would demand VAT payment from you, if your customer\'s ID is incorrect. Cumbersome, but that\'s unfortunately how it works.
... See more
This is a tax identification that obviates the need to charge VAT to VAT registered customers within the EU. You need to show your own ID and that of your customer on your invoice and have to confirm the correctness of the ID-number for each customer with your local tax authority. This is important when your your VAT declaration is audited by the tax authorities, who would demand VAT payment from you, if your customer\'s ID is incorrect. Cumbersome, but that\'s unfortunately how it works.

Good luck
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
This is what I do ... Jan 26, 2003

I have a self employed tax reference number - which I believe they give you when you register as self-employed. \"Inland Revenue Tax Reference Number\". Insist they give it to you. But if they don\'t, use the NI number - the Spanish generally won\'t know the difference! As for converting I invoice in EUR and on my spreadsheet I have a coloumn for converting to pounds. These are the headings on my spreadsheet:

JOB NUMBER INVOICE NUMBER

DATE DEADLINE PROJECT NAMECOMPANY RATE
... See more
I have a self employed tax reference number - which I believe they give you when you register as self-employed. \"Inland Revenue Tax Reference Number\". Insist they give it to you. But if they don\'t, use the NI number - the Spanish generally won\'t know the difference! As for converting I invoice in EUR and on my spreadsheet I have a coloumn for converting to pounds. These are the headings on my spreadsheet:

JOB NUMBER INVOICE NUMBER

DATE DEADLINE PROJECT NAMECOMPANY RATE CURRENCY Unit of Measure QUANTITY To Invoice Invoice Amount Conversion Rate GBP equivalent INVOICE PREPARED DATE Expected date paid INVOICE PAID DATE PAID HOW? PAID INTO WHICH ACCOUNT?

I use the conversion rate that is currently valid from http://www.oanda.com/converter/classic and when I receive the money I change this if necessary depending on how much I actually get. If you\'re not earning enough to register for VAT (around GBP50,000 p.a.) and your tax return income and expenses look reasonable it\'s very unlikely that the Inland Revenue are going to come calling but you need to keep all your documents anyway just in case.
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Tax Reference Number Jan 26, 2003

After reading all the interesting information given, I did a quick search and came up with the following web site which tells you what to do when you are self-employed:

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/startingup/register.htm

Presumably you will be given this Tax Reference Number at the end of the process automatically.

I am wondering why my Tax
... See more
After reading all the interesting information given, I did a quick search and came up with the following web site which tells you what to do when you are self-employed:

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/startingup/register.htm

Presumably you will be given this Tax Reference Number at the end of the process automatically.

I am wondering why my Tax office nor my accountant told me about all of this. I think I\'d better check.
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Are you VAT registered? Jan 26, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-25 22:49, Amara wrote:

Which number should I put on my bills, my NI no. or my tax no.??(which I haven\'t got yet and I was told over the phone by the self-employed helpline that it wasn\'t necess... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-25 22:49, Amara wrote:

As I will be billing in euros, when do I convert this into pounds? (day I bill, day I get paid, day I do tax return???)

Thanks very much for your help!

Hello Nikki, Nikki here.

The Spanish authorities may suppose you have an EU VAT reg\'n n°. You UK tax office told you that you don\'t have one - yet. It might simply be that you are not registered for vAT yet. You might not even have to! (You either chose to be VAT-registered or when your turnover exceeds a certain ceiling, you have no choice but to register). Each member state has its own limit, the UK compulsory registration limit being 2 and a half time the French limit for example. Perhaps that is what it\'s all about?

Nikki ▲ Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Precisely, you don't need to be VAT registered Jan 26, 2003

But there\'s a new identification number that you have to have in order to bill the EU.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
No intention of being VAT registered Jan 27, 2003

As I\'m not going to earn 50,000+ pounds -if only - but working part-time because I\'m looking after a baby, it\'ll be a bit difficult I won\'t be registering for VAT. I\'ll get a tax number in about 6-8 weeks, which I was told was just for doing the tax returns and not necessary for bills, so is this number you\'re talking about Cecilia or somthing else? Is it a VAT no.?

Thanks for all input, but I\'m a bit confused

Annira Silver (X)
Annira Silver (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:42
Finnish to English
Use your passport number Mar 22, 2003

Hi,

I encountered the same problem recently, when I did a job for a Spanish agency for the first time. They must have an ID number on invoices. As we don\'t \'do\' ID in the UK, I used my passport number - that did the trick.

In the UK, a self-employed person doesn\'t need to quote any reference number (such as the National Insurance no.) on invoices, unless he/she is registered for VAT. If you form a limited company, however, you must quote your company registrat
... See more
Hi,

I encountered the same problem recently, when I did a job for a Spanish agency for the first time. They must have an ID number on invoices. As we don\'t \'do\' ID in the UK, I used my passport number - that did the trick.

In the UK, a self-employed person doesn\'t need to quote any reference number (such as the National Insurance no.) on invoices, unless he/she is registered for VAT. If you form a limited company, however, you must quote your company registration number.

Rgds

Annira
Collapse

Arben Seva
Arben Seva  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Registration Certificate Number Oct 25, 2005

One of my clients in Europe, except the tax number asked also for a registration certificate number. Does anyone knows where can I get number?

Thanks,

Arben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Billing EU from the UK

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »