Thread poster: dchild
dchild
dchild  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 6, 2007

Hi,

I have secured permission from a Japanese author and his publisher to translate his work into English. The Japanese publisher is eager to proceed with the project, but wishes me to negotiate with an the English-language publisher, as they do not want to represent the work in English. That, of course, involves my translating samples and so forth.

My question is: What's the best procedure for doing this? Who signs contracts with whom, in this kind of scenario? Clearly
... See more
Hi,

I have secured permission from a Japanese author and his publisher to translate his work into English. The Japanese publisher is eager to proceed with the project, but wishes me to negotiate with an the English-language publisher, as they do not want to represent the work in English. That, of course, involves my translating samples and so forth.

My question is: What's the best procedure for doing this? Who signs contracts with whom, in this kind of scenario? Clearly the American publisher will need to get rights signed over to them, but how do I secure:

some advanced payment (or at least payment in installments)
a royalty for translation sales
guarantee that they will use me in stead of some in-house translator or other agency

Finally, some of the materials will need to be updated, but this will not be done for the Japanese. What payment scheme is reasonable for such services? (Per project? Hourly? Typical rate if hourly?)

If any of you has experience with the negotiation process for book translations, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks!
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:25
German to English
+ ...
Publishers / Literary Agents Aug 7, 2007

From what I have seen most publishers and literary agents (some publishers will only allow contact through literary agents) require a proposal and at least three chapters - some will allow an approach first, some want the proposal and sample (if not the whole book) together.

Google for: publisher proposal form to get some examples.

Is an/the English publisher already prepared to accept a translation for publication? Will they not have terms they expect you to abide by o
... See more
From what I have seen most publishers and literary agents (some publishers will only allow contact through literary agents) require a proposal and at least three chapters - some will allow an approach first, some want the proposal and sample (if not the whole book) together.

Google for: publisher proposal form to get some examples.

Is an/the English publisher already prepared to accept a translation for publication? Will they not have terms they expect you to abide by or negotiate on? Will they not have experience of handling this type of scenario before?

[Edited at 2007-08-07 11:54]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

negotiating with publisher

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »