How valuable are Kudoz points?
Thread poster: LoyalTrans

LoyalTrans
Local time: 22:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 28, 2007

I have been here (active) for a little less than 2 months. Besides sending out unsolicited self-introduction emails to outsourcers (with just one small project and a couple of moderately serious replies), I have also been actively answering Kudoz questions to increase my Kudoz points. I have to admit that doing so is not just for fun, but also to increase visibility and draw attention from potential clients.

However, my question is, how effective is this (increasing Kudoz points) and is there any other way to attract clients' attention?

Thanks,

Direct link Reply with quote

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:51
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
They are valuable Aug 28, 2007

Robert Cai wrote:

However, my question is, how effective is this (increasing Kudoz points) [...]

[/quote]

My experience shows that acquiring KudoZ points is an effective way of attracting new clients. (How effective you would require is another matter.)

Within the past 8-9 months, I have had three outsourcers contact me through the Freelancers directory who said they were drawn to my profile partly because of its high KudoZ-based ranking.

My $0.02 worth.

Maciek

Shirley Lao  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Be a member! Aug 28, 2007

ProZ members are shown before the non-ProZ members in the Freelancers' Directory, no matter how many KudoZ points you have won. So, to increase your visibility, it is a good idea for you to become a member (or at least a partial member) of ProZ.

[Edited at 2007-08-28 12:15]

John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Valuable but... Aug 28, 2007

I just finished posting in another forum in which I compared my number of browniz points to my number of Kudoz points (approximately 5500 to 116).
Has that stopped me from receiving job offers? No way! I’ve been swamped with work since last spring when I first became a member. My browniz points reflect a high level of participation on the Proz site (forums, Quick Polls, organizing a Powwow, etc). All those have been the best advertising that money could buy.
So, my advice is that I’m sure Kudoz points have their advantage, but don’t limit yourself to thinking that they’re the only thing potential employers look at. Just remember, every time you participate in a forum or Quick Poll your profile and picture appear and potential employers may be tempted to take a look at it. Go for the Kudoz if you like, but use the all of the site’s features to your maximum advantage.

ICL  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Kudoz points and directory rating Aug 28, 2007

Hi Cai,

As you may already know, to date, besides paid membership, Proz.com uses Kudoz points as part of what they consider their "meritocracy" system, which affects, in this case, your translator directory rating. That is, the more Kudoz points you have, the higher your profile will appear in the general translator directory listing.

I suppose that to know how effective the Kudoz points-directory rating relationship is will depend on how many points you have. Maybe those who have thousands of Kudoz points may probably assert that they have found a lot of jobs or work contacts thanks to their Kudoz rating.

I personally have very few Kudoz points, mainly because I do not invest time on it (I prefer to do my own research when looking for terms, because it's a lot of fun for me) and also because for me Proz.com is not a job finding source (luckily I have enough clients that keep me busy enough).

Also, for me, the way the Kudoz system is set up/conceived, is highly contradictory (that is, both useful and unuseful) as a terminology database (which is the only reason why I am interested in Kudoz). I personally consider that associating a terminology database with a translator directory rating has "killed" part of the beauty/fun of the process of terminology research/debate.

But, obviously, this is my personal view, so I am sure others have different views about it.

Best regards,

Ivette

Rosanna Palermo  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:51
Member (2006)
Italian to English

Valuable but overall beside the point Aug 28, 2007

Robert Cai wrote:

increase visibility and draw attention from potential clients.

However, my question is, how effective is this (increasing Kudoz points) and is there any other way to attract clients' attention?

Thanks,

Dear Robert,
I have been a member since March 05 and, in my languages (Italian-English) I rank pretty high on the leaders board because I work on providing accurate answers whenever I have time.

Yes, kudos are important because if the client researches the site, you are most likely to be seen and contacted. I have had a steady surge in business inquiries since I joined due to my increased visibility.

The thing that some members tend to forget is that the spirit of Proz is "translators helping peers" not just go for the "almighty" points.

Not only it is important to help other peers..it is also important to validate answers that have been already given
since this helps the asker be more confident of the proper usage.

I know for a fact - I have been told by them- that some peers do not bother to agree with my answers because it would "put you higher on the ranking then I can't catch up with you LOL".

I could not honestly care less about rankings. What I care about is that I do have a venue where I can help others and get help myself when I need it.

It is a community effort; it's great to get Kudos but better yet it's great to be able to partecipate as a group and make each other better professionals in the process.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I have seen a correlation Aug 29, 2007

From time to time I also have jobs to outsource, and frantically search the freelancer directory for the right translator, at the same time as receiving applications by advertising the job in question.

There appears to be a distinct correlation between a translator's place in the directory and how much they charge for doing the job. There could be several reasons for this, but I find it interesting, at any rate.

Astrid

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:51
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
KudoZ points are not valuable; KudoZ answers (and questions) may be Aug 29, 2007

I would never choose a translator because he or she has accrued KudoZ points (nor would I exclude one just for that).

KudoZ, however, might be of help to a discriminating potential customer: by seeing the kind of answers a translator provides (and the kind of questions one asks! - not to mention how many questions one needs to ask) the potential customer could get an idea of the expertise, or lack thereof, of a candidate.

As a translation manager I would tend to exclude:

1. people who claim they can translate in too many language pairs, and/or who answer in more than a very few language pairs
  2. people with way too many KudoZ answers (aren't they supposed to be working instead of always answering questions?)
  3. people who have answered 10 questions and asked 1500 (it would give me the idea that they are too insecure or maybe that they don't have enough expertise to do the job)
  4. people that ask questions for which they should already know the answer
  5. people that often provide clearly wrong answers (thereby exposing their lack of expertise)

On the other hand, no matter the total KudoZ points earned, I would tend to consider as suitable candidates

1. people who mostly answer only questions in their fields of specialization
  2. people who provide thoughtful, helpful and correct answers (no matter whether their answer was awarded KudoZ points or not)

LoyalTrans
Local time: 22:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
percentage of unsolicited client contacts Aug 30, 2007

Thanks all for your participation in the discussion. Seems that some of you are rather experienced. So what generally is the percentage of the work coming from being directed contacted by clients (vs. those obtained through your marketing, bidding, ...)? And I think this can measure whether/how Kudoz points (at least partly) are effective.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How valuable are Kudoz points?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs