Off topic: An improvement suggestion for agencies
Thread poster: Vito Smolej

Vito Smolej
Local time: 14:30
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Oct 8, 2007

You probably have been getting mails for potential jobs at the same rate as I do. I usually dump them, sometimes however it may be the weather or the name of the agency or agent (I have certain weak spots for names...) that makes me answer.

Let me first of all say that the correct description for the above activity is hunting and gathering: there's maybe a lull in the business or they got a new boss and the agency just sends out another broadcast to fill up its coffers.

It's funny, but the mails are pretty much verbatim copies of something like this:

Dear X

Thank you for your prompt reply offering your translation services to SuperDuperTrans Co

We would now like to process your application and I am pleased to attach Z (*)
forms for this purpose. Please complete the Application form with your
details and return this to me by e-mail. If you agree with the Terms and
Conditions, please sign and return a copy to me, either by scanning and
e-mailing, or by fax. Please note that we are unable to process your
application without both forms. Please also attach an electronic copy
of your CV.

While all those mails seem to be written by the mother of them all hunters and gatherers, the one DOC file, where you have to enter your name address skills, education, vaccinations ... the lot, is never ever the same! Could you ever reuse the DOC file you have sweated out for some agency? Never? Same here.

My point is, this would be possible, if only the agencies would keep their eyes peeled and for instance have a look at EuroPass:

The Europass document (as XML, PDF, doc...) contains all they could ever have asked for and it is the one and the same documentation I could stamp with my digital ID and be done once for all.

Instead of that I fight through screwy doc templates - sometimes I actually dont, because I get that sinking feeling the date will end anyhow in some digital morgue. But that's another story. Maybe it would help if freelancers would start to mention Europass to beloved hunters and gatherers. It would be even more effective if instead of the homebrewed doc file an europass file would be returned. I did both this time. Next time I'll probably pass - because of that sinking feeling, I mentioned above.

PS: btw, I see EuroPass as one thing that ProZ could gently (I dont want to hear any bones breaking) introduce to our counterparts.

*: 1 or 2 - those asking for more must have yielded to the evolutionary pressure, i.e. they went out of business

[Edited at 2007-10-08 21:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

Diana Coada  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:30
English to Romanian
+ ...
agree! Nov 6, 2007

I very much enjoyed reading your post and that 'sinking feeling' is sooo familiar, since I'm just starting out in this area.

Kind regards,

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An improvement suggestion for agencies

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs