Mobile menu

Establishing my rates on proz - I'm confused!
Thread poster: Simon S

Simon S  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:23
English to French
Oct 9, 2007

Hi guys I'm a new member. I went through the FAQs but I'm still missing something. Basically I have two questions :

1- What is the difference between "Minimum per word", "Target per word" and "Maximum per word"?
The maximum rate seems to be calculated automatically by the system - and this rate is insanely high. The rate calculator got me even more confused. What is the purpose of entering all these values instead of simply displaying a standard rate in our profile?

2- The system also asks me to enter a per-hour rate. Should this rate be proportional to my per-word rate and my productivity (say 300 words per-hour, times my per-word rate = my per-hour rate?) Or is the per-hour rate meant for jobs other than translation (like proof-reading, etc.)?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Hourly rate Oct 9, 2007

You are right, the hourly rate should reflect your produktivity when translating. The other rates are for the search engine, so not to bother you with requests for ridiculously low rates. You can choose the rates not to be publicly visible.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Word of advice Oct 9, 2007

No matter what rates you establish, my advice to you is not to display them in your profile. If you display, say, 10 cents, pretty much everybody who will get in touch with you will ask for 7 cents. The other thing about displaying rates is that once you display them, nobody will accept that you eventually raise them after having seen them, even if you raise them by only one cent and then again, only after a period of ten years.

It is best not to display rates at all - this will leave you the option to negotiate. If you display the rates, nobody will want to negotiate with you, whereas normally, that is the right thing to do.

Simon S  Identity Verified
English to French
Thanks! Oct 10, 2007

Thank you both for your answers. I'll follow Viktoria's advice and not display my rates.

By the way Viktoria I'm also in Quebec
(Merci pour tes conseils, c'est pas toujours évident de s'y retrouver au début!)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Establishing my rates on proz - I'm confused!

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs