Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Electronic dictionaries...Are they helpful?
Thread poster: Xtina77
Xtina77
Xtina77
Local time: 21:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 9, 2007

There are some amazing electronic dictionaries in the market, especially by ECTACO. I was wondering if translators and/or people that do interpreting carry them around. Are they helpful? Do I need one? Or should I just my dictionaries and translating software only?

I was thinking of taking a course on translating and interpreting. Maybe I need a fancy electronic dictionary for class.... or maybe carrying around chucky dictionaries is the way to go...

Any suggesti
... See more
There are some amazing electronic dictionaries in the market, especially by ECTACO. I was wondering if translators and/or people that do interpreting carry them around. Are they helpful? Do I need one? Or should I just my dictionaries and translating software only?

I was thinking of taking a course on translating and interpreting. Maybe I need a fancy electronic dictionary for class.... or maybe carrying around chucky dictionaries is the way to go...

Any suggestions?
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 08:34
Russian to English
+ ...
You can get it all online Oct 9, 2007

You can get most of this stuff online, for free. You'll just need to be able to tell good translations offered from sheer junk. There'll be plenty of both.

Vadim Pogulyaev
Vadim Pogulyaev  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:34
Member (2007)
English to Russian
erm... Oct 9, 2007

If you work in the field, why don't you buy PDA and install dictionary software on it? This device will have a lot of other uses, e.g. as GPS receiver, organaiser, communicator etc.
"Hardware" dictionaries are useless IMHO, deadborn device, see above.

[Edited at 2007-10-09 14:05]

sokolniki
sokolniki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:34
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, very much so - for translation Oct 9, 2007

As for interpreting, only in case you manage to get materials to do your homework BEFORE a business meeting/presentation/hospital assignment, etc. For interpreting assignments it always helps to have glossaries and lists of abbreviations prepared ahead of time.

If the materials are not available, go to the company's website - there will be tons of things you would like to have organized as glossaries - again, using your electronic dictionary.

Xtina77
Xtina77
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you.... Oct 9, 2007

Wow! Thank you very much. I really appreciate your suggestions. I guess I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm so glad I asked you all. Thank you. ^^

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Handy when traveling Oct 9, 2007

I have several electronic dictionaries loaded on my computer, notably ones by Oxford and Larousse. I'm a translator, and when I'm working from home I tend to use paper or online dictionaries, but when I'm on the road and don't have internet access, the ones on my computer are handy.

The Oxford one is an outstanding dictionary (it's the CD-Based version of the Spanish<>English Gran Diccionario Oxford) but its software interferes with Trados 6.5. In short, Trados cannot open or
... See more
I have several electronic dictionaries loaded on my computer, notably ones by Oxford and Larousse. I'm a translator, and when I'm working from home I tend to use paper or online dictionaries, but when I'm on the road and don't have internet access, the ones on my computer are handy.

The Oxford one is an outstanding dictionary (it's the CD-Based version of the Spanish<>English Gran Diccionario Oxford) but its software interferes with Trados 6.5. In short, Trados cannot open or close segments while the Oxford software is running. The Larousse does not interrupt it in this way, but seems to destablize either Trados or Word slightly (unless I'm imagining it and my computer is just being finicky).

[Edited at 2007-10-09 15:09]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 07:34
Spanish
+ ...
Oxford Oct 9, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

The Oxford one is an outstanding dictionary (it's the CD-Based version of the SpanishEnglish Gran Diccionario Oxford) but its software interferes with Trados 6.5. In short, Trados cannot open or close segments while the Oxford software is running.

I think you can fix this problem by unchecking 'Watch clipboard and respond to double clicks' in settings.

Xtina77
Xtina77
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 9, 2007

Thank you Steven, you have a very good point. I think I should get one for "on the road" occassions and in the classroom. Thank you very much. I cannot carry around a laptop, since I don't have one. Maybe I should buy one. I don't want to start out by buying this and that....I wonder how I should start. I wrote another question on the forum, but there were no responses.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Caution Oct 9, 2007

While there are many very handy electronic dictionaries on the market, if you want to use them for translation work, you have to be cautious, as not all of these dictionaries are meant to be used for translation work. Most dictionaries only cover basic and general notions, so it would be a pity if you invested in these only to find out they don't contain any of the more advanced terms you are looking for. The dictionaries you would want to use are specialized dictionaries - naval terminology, ph... See more
While there are many very handy electronic dictionaries on the market, if you want to use them for translation work, you have to be cautious, as not all of these dictionaries are meant to be used for translation work. Most dictionaries only cover basic and general notions, so it would be a pity if you invested in these only to find out they don't contain any of the more advanced terms you are looking for. The dictionaries you would want to use are specialized dictionaries - naval terminology, pharmaceutical, finance, etc.

I find that the more specialized the dictionary, the less chances you have of finding it in electronic form. Electronic dictionaires are obviously useful so you don't have to carry around heavy tomes and search through pages. But this advantage vanishes quickly when you are dealing with dictionaries that only cover general terms.

I have several electronic dictionaries, but I still prefer the big, heavy paper dictionaries - they are specialized and amazingly accurate for the most part. My electronic dictionaries are only useful when I am seeking to confirm a phrase or expression I used, and they help mostly with style, not content.

Of course, our experiences may vary, but as far as I'm concerned, if you really want to have critical terms at your disposal, you are still better off with a good, specialized paper dictionary. Keep the electronic dictionaries for help with style.

[Edited at 2007-10-09 18:47]
Collapse

Marco Ramón
Marco Ramón  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:34
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Very much so Oct 9, 2007

If you are talking "electronic" as something like a PDA for reasons of mobility and size, I recommend you Casio ew-s2000 that contains 5 dictionaries: OED EN-ES, OED ES-EN, OED EN, OED Thesaurus Larousse ES. This wonder is available in Mexico.

I have tried to install a variety of dictionaries in a Palm TX w/ 2g of memory and the performance is poor compared with the Casio. The good part of the Palm is to load it with the glossaries I've created. Also with some search online I was a
... See more
If you are talking "electronic" as something like a PDA for reasons of mobility and size, I recommend you Casio ew-s2000 that contains 5 dictionaries: OED EN-ES, OED ES-EN, OED EN, OED Thesaurus Larousse ES. This wonder is available in Mexico.

I have tried to install a variety of dictionaries in a Palm TX w/ 2g of memory and the performance is poor compared with the Casio. The good part of the Palm is to load it with the glossaries I've created. Also with some search online I was able to install EN Wiki. These have been useful for intepreting.

If you are talking "electronic" as software I'd follow the recommendations others Prozians have offered. Plus: OED EN-ES is a great product for its contents. And you NEED Diccionario del Uso del Español of Maria Moliner (DUE).

But, DejaVu + OED + DUE working together have a little conflict in "copy paste" functions

WordWeb is great for EN-EN.

Are you located in Korea?

[Editado a las 2007-10-09 22:07]
Collapse

Marco Ramón
Marco Ramón  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:34
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Very much so Oct 9, 2007

If you are talking "electronic" as a PDA for reasons of mobility I recommend Casio ew-s2000 that contains 5 dictionaries: OED EN-ES, OED ES-EN, OED EN, OED Thesaurus Larousse ES. This wonder is available in Mexico.

I have tried to install a variety of dictionaries in a Palm TX w/ 2g of memory and the performance is poor compared with the Casio. The good part of the Palm is to load it with the glossaries I've created.

If you are talking "electronic" as software I'd foll
... See more
If you are talking "electronic" as a PDA for reasons of mobility I recommend Casio ew-s2000 that contains 5 dictionaries: OED EN-ES, OED ES-EN, OED EN, OED Thesaurus Larousse ES. This wonder is available in Mexico.

I have tried to install a variety of dictionaries in a Palm TX w/ 2g of memory and the performance is poor compared with the Casio. The good part of the Palm is to load it with the glossaries I've created.

If you are talking "electronic" as software I'd follow the recommendations others have offered. Plus: OED EN-ES is a great product for its contents. And you NEED Diccionario del Uso del Español of Maria Moliner (DUE).

But, DejaVu + OED + DUE working together have a little conflict in "copy paste" functions

WordWeb is great for EN-EN.

I'm not neglecting the specialized dicts in paper, they're indispensable. But a good intenet connection and some searching tricks can go a very long way in glossaries searches.

Are you located in Korea?
Collapse

Xtina77
Xtina77
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you immensely... Oct 10, 2007

Thank you Viktoria. Thank you Marco.
Viktoria, after I read your response, it does make a lot of sense. I think, if I were to get an electronic dictionary, it would be after I have acquired the necessary paperback dictionaries I need. Thank you so much for your insight.

Marco, yes, I am in Korea. Have you ever been to Korea? Or perhaps you know someone in Korea? Thank you for the information on software
... See more
Thank you Viktoria. Thank you Marco.
Viktoria, after I read your response, it does make a lot of sense. I think, if I were to get an electronic dictionary, it would be after I have acquired the necessary paperback dictionaries I need. Thank you so much for your insight.

Marco, yes, I am in Korea. Have you ever been to Korea? Or perhaps you know someone in Korea? Thank you for the information on software and the heads up with their little quirks. I still haven't downloaded any programs. I'm still reading up on the choices everyone has suggested.
Collapse

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Claudia! Oct 10, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I think you can fix this problem by unchecking 'Watch clipboard and respond to double clicks' in settings.

That's great. I'll try that.

Balasundaram Shanmugam
Balasundaram Shanmugam  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 20:34
Member (2008)
English to Tamil
+ ...
Electronic dictionaries are not helpful Oct 11, 2007

Electronic dictonaries are not helpful and do not waste money buying these dictionaries.

Simon S
Simon S  Identity Verified
English to French
To me they are helpful all-in-one tools Oct 15, 2007

Xtina77 wrote:

Are they helpful? Do I need one?

I got used to those when I was working in-house and they have become important tools to me, especially because you can find the information you're looking for much quicker. But I know plenty of translators who have never used them and do not feel the need to. I'd say it depends on how much you use dictionaries. If you use them a lot, I'd say electronic dictionaries are a good investment. You can find everything you need in a few clicks (spelling, examples, contexts, conjugations, expressions, etc.).

[Modifié le 2007-10-15 02:48]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Electronic dictionaries...Are they helpful?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »