Translation Books
Thread poster: Xtina77
Xtina77
Local time: 22:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2007

Hi Everyone,

I would like to know the titles of some translation books which I could study from. I would like to learn the basics of translation before I begin a course in 2009. Does anyone know of any college textbooks I could get? Or any other material that could be relevant (i.e. dictionaries, software, marketing books for freelancers, etc.) I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 13:31
I have a trans. theory book for sale Oct 10, 2007

Xtina - Please check the exchange section of this site tomorrow. I am selling a couple of my old translation books and glossaries as I'm starting a new job soon and won't need them any more. I've got to find the book first but I will post the details there tomorrow morning (GMT). One of them is a translation theory book. According to your profile, you say have 25 years experience? In that case, are you sure you need these books? (Though I'm more inclined to think it is an typo error:) )

Orla

[Edited at 2007-10-10 19:59]

Hedwig Lugaro  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:31
Spanish to French
+ ...
Here are some Oct 11, 2007

Becoming a Translator: An Introduction to the Theory and Practice of Translation by Douglas Robinson

Traducción y Traductología: Introducción a la traductología by Amparo Hurtado Albir

The Translator's Handbook by Morry Sofer

A textbook of Translation by Peter Newmark (it is old but with interesting practical suggestions).

This link has a lot of suggestions:
http://www.geocities.com/translation_information/titles.htm

Good luck!

PS. I am in the same situation: 18 years of experience but in the second year of translation studies at a local University.

Xtina77
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 11, 2007

Thank you for the list. I ordered one of the books you recommended. Thank you very much. Best of luck to you.

Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:31
Member (2008)
English to Italian
Any links? Oct 12, 2007

Hedwig Lugaro wrote:

Becoming a Translator: An Introduction to the Theory and Practice of Translation by Douglas Robinson

Traducción y Traductología: Introducción a la traductología by Amparo Hurtado Albir

The Translator's Handbook by Morry Sofer

A textbook of Translation by Peter Newmark (it is old but with interesting practical suggestions).

This link has a lot of suggestions:
http://www.geocities.com/translation_information/titles.htm

Good luck!

PS. I am in the same situation: 18 years of experience but in the second year of translation studies at a local University.

Hello Hedwig. Any links to that list of books? Thank you.

[Edited at 2007-10-12 14:48]

Xtina77
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Oct 15, 2007

Gianluca, you're so resourceful! Thank you for finding Hedwig's links. Thank you. And thank you Hedwig.

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 13:31
"Becoming a translator" Oct 15, 2007

I'm selling my copy of Douglas Robinson's book if anyone is interested.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Books

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs