Thread poster: Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:47
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 11, 2007

because of the Euro/$ rate?

Do I really have to consider it or not? What would you do?

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 21:47
English to Indonesian
+ ...
you don't have to Oct 11, 2007

as usd continues to weaken against euro, your u.s. clients might ask you to lower your rate. it maybe because their other translators, such as me, who are not residing in europe, asked them to increase their rates...
personally, i won't consider lowering the rate for anything but project volume.

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 07:47
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
My personal recommendation: Don't Oct 11, 2007

If you can afford not to, don't. You live in Europe and have to pay your bills in Euros, not in USD.

Laurence Bourel
Laurence Bourel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I would'nt Oct 11, 2007

Think the other way round : do you think anybody would be ready to increase your rates if one day the euro is weaker than $ ? of course not, it always works in the wrong way...

have a rate limit and stick by it

Regards

Rita Bilancio
Rita Bilancio  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes but... Oct 11, 2007

They would like me to work in a field I'm very keen on translating, so it is a tough decision...

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Your decision Oct 11, 2007

Hi Rita,

Do I really have to consider it or not?

You should consider the request, but whether or not you change your pricing is entirely up to you.

What would you do?

Nothing at all, since I'm working at 100% capacity.

Best, Ralf

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Same thing happened to me Oct 11, 2007

I did give a lower rate, still within my acceptable limit, but it was still not low enough for the agency, who was offering work in my field ...

I had to turn down the opportunity (politely). The agency said they would keep my CV on file in case they have any jobs in the future where they can afford my rates

I have decided to focus on agencies in Europe who pay in my currency.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
You are the only one who can decide Oct 11, 2007

Personally, I'd say no, but if you're not working at full capacity and the field interests you, it might be worth considering it.
However, as Marcelo points out, you live in Europe and your rate has to reflect that.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
Swedish to English
+ ...
Go for it Oct 11, 2007

Rita Bilancio wrote:
They would like me to work in a field I'm very keen on translating, so it is a tough decision...

The experience in this field has a value to you that may make up for the lower rate. Go for it.
What you lose out on now you will be able to regain later when you can demonstrate experience in this field and charge accordingly.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
How much? Oct 11, 2007

Depends on your usual rates to begin with.
If they ask to go from 10 cents to 2 cents per word- no, thanks.
If they ask to go from 10 cents to 5-7 cents, - maybe.
If they ask to go from 10 cents to 8 or 9 cents, yes.

In other words, what percentage is acceptable? What's the absolute minimum you are willing to work for? And does that still pay your bills?

Good luck!

Chiara Righele
Chiara Righele  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Link to other threads Oct 11, 2007

Hi Rita,
you may find interesting these previous threads:
How has the weak US dollar affected your rates?
At least one client is not accepting the readjusted invoice ( EURO / USD )

In my opinion, Peter Linton points out something important: bein
... See more
Hi Rita,
you may find interesting these previous threads:
How has the weak US dollar affected your rates?
At least one client is not accepting the readjusted invoice ( EURO / USD )

In my opinion, Peter Linton points out something important: being at the beginning of your career, you should consider the benefits (experience...) you can obtain with this job, and the cons of lowering your rates (then the client is used to certain rates...)

Then, assuming you decide it is more important for you to gain experience, how much do you value such experience? Or, in other words: how much are you prepared to lower your rates? Up (actually down) to which rate is it all worth?

Set your own limits and then decide accordingly: you're the only one who can decide.

Just some ideas to reflect on...
Good luck,
Chiara
Collapse

Luisa Fiorini
Luisa Fiorini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
the same happened to me Oct 11, 2007

Lori Cirefice wrote:

I did give a lower rate, still within my acceptable limit, but it was still not low enough for the agency, who was offering work in my field ...

I had to turn down the opportunity (politely). The agency said they would keep my CV on file in case they have any jobs in the future where they can afford my rates

Same experience (maybe also same agency, who knows?) and I turned it down.
I agree with Margreet: it depends on the percentage and on the rate you asked.

[Modificato alle 2007-10-11 12:16]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Your question reveals much... Oct 11, 2007

Rita Bilancio wrote:
What if they ask you to lower your rates because of the Euro/$ rate? Do I really have to consider it or not?

You are asking if you must consider it, because you suspect that they're not really serious when they say that you must do it before they'll consider buying your services. In other words, you're already thinking that they're lying to you.

And if you think they're lying to you, why are you even considering supplying them?

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
I fell for this trick at the beginning Oct 11, 2007

This happened to me and I fell for it: they gave me oodles of work for big fashion magazines, travel magazines, art catalogues, you name it.
I was always so full of work, I had to turn down better-paid work (because, of course, there is better-paid work out there) until the day I couldn't stand it any more and I told them "no more".

I negotiate each project now. That way it's not a case of "lowering" or "raising" a rate, it's a case of coming to an agreement for a specific job
... See more
This happened to me and I fell for it: they gave me oodles of work for big fashion magazines, travel magazines, art catalogues, you name it.
I was always so full of work, I had to turn down better-paid work (because, of course, there is better-paid work out there) until the day I couldn't stand it any more and I told them "no more".

I negotiate each project now. That way it's not a case of "lowering" or "raising" a rate, it's a case of coming to an agreement for a specific job.
It works for me and just because I accept a job for XXX per word for one project, there is no strict rule that I will charge that the next time.
My customers are aware of that and it's rid me of the leeches (who took revenge by taking a year to pay my last invoice....).

Angela

Rita Bilancio wrote:

Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Remember, USD 1 = EUR 0.7 Oct 11, 2007

Rita Bilancio wrote:

Think of it this way: they're basically asking for a 30% discount. If you're happy with that (and there is no reason why you shouldn't be, if you think you're going to enjoy the work), then that should be your decision.

But see my previous post...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What if they ask you to lower your rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »