Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nov 8, 2007

Hi everyone,

I still feel like a complete "rookie" in times like this! I hope you can help me acting like some sort of Internet agony aunt(s). Here's the good news: A company has accepted me to work as a freelance translator.
The bad news: I've an NDA to sign and two things I don't understand. At the end of the page there's the following:
By:_______
Name:_______
Title:________
Date:_______
It may sound stupid, but I've never signed an NDA like thi
... See more
Hi everyone,

I still feel like a complete "rookie" in times like this! I hope you can help me acting like some sort of Internet agony aunt(s). Here's the good news: A company has accepted me to work as a freelance translator.
The bad news: I've an NDA to sign and two things I don't understand. At the end of the page there's the following:
It may sound stupid, but I've never signed an NDA like this one, so I don't know what I should write in the "by" and "title" fields. Plus, I didn't want to ask a company person directly, for fear of sounding like a complete idiot. lol It's a pretty important deal for me so I'm a bit nervous.)
ALSO, there's another thing. They want me to work with TRADOS, I've been working with it for a while now, but I don't understand why they asked me this sort of rates:
Translation new words (< 75%)
Translation 75%-95% match
Translation 96%-100% match
Since I've never worked with anyone else's TM, I don't really know what to do about this. Plus, they added that they had to use standard percentages for Trados matches, i.e.: 65% of the word rate for 74%-95% matches, 30% of the word rate for 96-100% matches and Repetitions.
What do you make of it? Can anyone help me?
Many thanks in advance.

Cheers!

[Edited at 2007-11-08 19:53]
Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:22
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Seems fair to me Nov 8, 2007

Teresa Bento wrote:
It may sound stupid, but I've never signed an NDA like this one, so I don't know what I should write in the "by" and "title" fields. Plus, I didn't want to ask a company person directly, for fear of sounding like a complete idiot. lol (I guess it's just the jitterbugs. It's a pretty important deal for me.)

If that's the only issue with the NDA then it's not too much of a headache. I would put "language service provider" for "Title" - it may cover a wider scope of activity than "freelance translator" (another option). No clue what they expect by "By" - and I would say it is obscure enough so that they would not take you an idiot for asking. Also: you may just leave it empty, and if they need something there they may get back to you.

ALSO, there's another thing. They want me to work with TRADOS, I've been working with it for a while now, but I don't understand why they asked me this sort of rates:
Since I've never worked with anyone else's TM, I don't really know what to do about this. Plus, they added that they had to use standard percentages for Trados matches, i.e.: 65% of the word rate for 74%-95% matches, 30% of the word rate for 96-100% matches and Repetitions.

That seems fair to me for working with your own TM - and 65% for 75%+ matches is not at all bad. However, if you have to work with someone else's TM then it can become a nightmare: if the translation is bad, you have to re-translate 100% matches for 30%. So, I would add a disclaimer that rules this possibility out.

Best of luck
Attila

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:22
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes and maybe Nov 9, 2007

Teresa Bento wrote:

Hi everyone,

It may sound stupid, but I've never signed an NDA like this one, so I don't know what I should write in the "by" and "title" fields. Plus, I didn't want to ask a company person directly, for fear of sounding like a complete idiot. lol It's a pretty important deal for me so I'm a bit nervous.)

Don't worry, sign it.

Plus, they added that they had to use standard percentages for Trados matches, i.e.: 65% of the word rate for 74%-95% matches, 30% of the word rate for 96-100% matches and Repetitions.

I'd love to know who set the "standard". Ask them? I know several translators who have their own "standard" rates for stuff like this.

Good luck!

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:22
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
As for the NDA signature Nov 9, 2007

Teresa Bento wrote:
It may sound stupid, but I've never signed an NDA like this one, so I don't know what I should write in the "by" and "title" fields.

This NDA is a standard form, and it is written so other companies can sign it, too.
By: Company/business name - if you are not incorporated or if you don't have a DBA (Doing Business As), but simply work as an individual (sole proprietor), then cross this line out.
Title: again, this applies if you are signing as a representative of your company. So, it could be CEO, General Manager, or Translation Dept. Manager, etc.
If you are a sole proprietor, cross this line out. You only need the name and the date here, and I assume there is a separate place for your signature.

Now, I purposely suggested to cross lines, and NOT to leave them empty.
I never leave empty places in a contract, and I put my initials on EVERY page, not only the last one.
I keep copies for myself.

It is safer this way.

[Módosítva: 2007-11-09 02:58]

Lincoln Silveira (X)
Lincoln Silveira (X)
Brazil
Local time: 03:22
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My 2¢ on the matter Nov 9, 2007

Textklick wrote:

I'd love to know who set the "standard". Ask them? I know several translators who have their own "standard" rates for stuff like this.

A recent new client asked me to apply 33% and 66% to fuzzies/matches. I asked back: "can you provide a TM?". As I see it, there is no point in asking for discounts against fuzzies or 100% matches if one does not have a TM against which the translatable material can be analyzed.

Granted, I do not trade on terms of applying discounts for fuzzies/matches very often, but I would say that 33% for lower fuzzies and 66% for higher or 100% matches sounded "pretty standard" to my ears.

As for the NDA: Tereza, as the other colleague simply put it, do not fear signing the NDA. It basically means "do you job and do not tell anybody anything about the content or clients you are translating for".

Outsourcing has opened the market doors to people like us who work from different locations in the planet and allowed us a share in the wealth pie, but it also entails some risks for those outsourcing services. The other day I was discussing with a computer techie friend in the U.S. how U. S. businesses should have known better than they did when they outsourced work to India apparently unaware of the risks of disclosing sensitive commercial, financial and proprietary information.

NDA's play a role in managing the risks of entrusting sensitive information to third parties.

Then there is the problem of cross-border enforcement of such contracts, i.e. all the costs involved with such a legal venture. It goes without saying, you ought not to deal on bad faith with you client but rather grab some peace of mind by knowing that even if the agency or client understands you have breached the NDA they will have a really hard time enforcing it upon you.

Put differently, you can eat NDA's for breakfast if you like.

Cheers,

Lincoln

[Edited at 2007-11-09 14:09]

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:22
English to Chinese
+ ...
Repetition Rate Nov 18, 2007

Teresa Bento wrote:
What do you make of it? Can anyone help me?

The Trados repetition rate looks fair. If you're using Trados in your translation, the software will caculate the repetition rate automatically for you.

--------------------------
English Chinese Translator
www.chineservice.com

[Edited at 2007-11-18 09:02]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Signing an NDA and establishing rates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »