Non-translation related professioinal organizations
Thread poster: Richard Bartholomew

Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:46
Member (2007)
German to English
Nov 19, 2007

It occured to me that joining professional societies related to my first profession might be a good way to find customers. Wouldn't members of the German chapters of the IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, http://www.ieee.de) or the ACM (Association for Computing Machinery, http://www.informatik.org), for instance, want translators or editors for their papers in English language publications?

Also, the English translations of these organizations's web sites, while pretty good, are usually incomplete and need editing to help them sound more natural.

So I searched the Proz forums for "IEEE", "ACM" and "Gesellschaft für Informatik". None of the results showed anyone having turned to these organizations as sources of work. Am I searching badly, or are non-translation focused professional societies just dry wells as far as translation work is concerned?

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:46
SITE FOUNDER
I think you should try it Nov 19, 2007

Non-translation associations were my best source of work as a translator. You become known as "the translator." Good way to meet end clients.

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:46
German to English
Good for reference and keeping in touch Nov 19, 2007

I am a member of a number of non-translation related professional societies. Whilst I don't actually get any work from them, membership certainly serves to reassure potential clients in my fields of expertise, often being a deciding factor in getting jobs where more than one translator has been asked for a quote. It also helps to keep in touch with news and developments in your fields via society magazines and journals.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-translation related professioinal organizations

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs