Mobile menu

Where can I find sample translations?
Thread poster: Xtina77
Xtina77
Local time: 10:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 24, 2007

I would like to study some sample translations to see if I have the skill to translate. I'm look for correct Spanish to English translations. Is this called backtranslation?

I would like to thank you in advance for any assistance you could give me.

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Bible Nov 24, 2007

Xtina77 wrote:
I would like to study some sample translations to see if I have the skill to translate.

Go buy an English Bible and a Spanish Bible. There... two huge texts that are translations of each other (for all practical purposes). I'm not sure how you want to see if *you* have skill by looking at *other* translations, but Bibles are very cheap (download for free off the internet, too).

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
in-flight magazine- Nov 24, 2007

In-flight magazines to and from your source language destinations are sure to have articles in both languages. You can also check out on-line tourist, government or any other kind of information you can think of that would have to be accessed by speakers of more than one language.

Paty

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Eurolex Nov 24, 2007

you get side-by-side legislature if you visit http://eur-lex.europa.eu/en/index.htm

For instance the following URL http://eur-lex.europa.eu/Result.do?T1=V1&T2=2007&T3=0001&RechType=RECH_naturel&Submit=Search

will get you the first regulation of the year 2007. Select the "Bibliographic notice and bilingual display" and then ES.

Of course you need to align the texts, if you want to do anything serious.

Regards

Vito

Xtina77
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 24, 2007

Thank you Samuel, Paty, and Vito. I have found your suggestion a good beginner's source. I also got the idea from Paty to look at manuel for electronics or explanations of cosmetic products I have bought.

To answer Samuel.... I need Spanish material that is already translated because I want to correct my mistakes after I translate the Spanish material on my own. After translating severial different kinds of material, I might have some idea of what translation is about and if I am able to do it. I believe the more I learn, the more I know there is to learn.... or that I am not cut out for the job.

[Edited at 2007-11-24 18:53]

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translation Sites Nov 24, 2007

Translation agencies want to put their best foot forward and generally have their site translated into their major languages. You can be fairly sure that their translations have been well-polished, so you could use that kind of material to compare.

It is only "back-translation" when the source text was originally in the language you are translating into. Often you cannot tell; in fact both versions may have undergone some editing for consistency before being posted.

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
There is no such thing Nov 26, 2007

There is no such thing as a correct translation, not in this manner, anyway. Just check the translation contest here on ProZ: the same source text generates a number of different target texts.

Translators have their own style and choice of words. Whenever there are synonyms to choose from, we all have our own preferences. Sometimes sentences have te be rearranged, to sound natural in the target language; we all will do this in our own style.

Keep this in mind when you're comparing translations. A different translation is not the same as an incorrect translation.

@ Samuel: you do realise that both the English and the Spanish Bible are translated texts from the source languages Ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and NT Greek? Too many layers inbetween for a good comparison, if you ask me.

Xtina77
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good Point Nov 26, 2007

Thank you Henry and Margreet. I will keep your advice in mind. Henry has just given me a load of ideas for places I could look for translations. Margreet, I will respect the different ways different translators have translated the same source. It will be interesting to see the different points of views. In university it's one way (the professor's way) or the highway, which, in my opinion, is nonsense. God made us all equal, but different.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Normally I'd agree with you... Nov 27, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:
You do realise that both the English and the Spanish Bible are translated texts from the source languages Ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and NT Greek? Too many layers inbetween for a good comparison, if you ask me.

Normally I'd agree, but in the case of religious texts I think it is fairly safe to regard translations of the source text to be translations of each other. Religious texts are translated by people (or for people) who believe two things: (a) that the text they translate are the words of their god, and (b) that it is essential to life, the universe and everything to translate the text as purely as possible. Add to that the fact that the source language is usually a dead language, and that both target language translators are likely to have had access to the similar interpretations (similar commentaries) of that language, and I'd say we're getting pretty darm accurate here.

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dear Samuel, Nov 27, 2007

as a theologian and contemporary christian, I'd say you are right in theory.
Practice, however, shows that both the culture of the translator and the internal differences in the christian churches all over the world have had their influences on the translation.

As it happens, in the past 20 years, three different translations of the Bible have been printed in the Netherlands, each of them a good translation in its own way, but with quite a few differences.

This is why I had to learn Hebrew and Greek in my years as a student of theology. We were expected to be able to read the source text.

After all, translating is a human's work, with human limitations and perceptions.
So, with all due respect, I beg to differ from your point of view. But let's not take this discussion too far. As far as I'm concerned, I would be perfectly happy to agree on disagreeing.

Regards,
Margreet

Xtina77
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Baby Steps... Nov 28, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:

For instance the following URL http://eur-lex.europa.eu/Result.do?T1=V1&T2=2007&T3=0001&RechType=RECH_naturel&Submit=Search

will get you the first regulation of the year 2007. Select the "Bibliographic notice and bilingual display" and then ES.

Thank you Vito. I checked out the URL you posted and it is a great way to start practicing. The documents look like something I might be asked to translate one day. It seems really challenging at the moment. I'm excited about starting practice. I am one step further into my future career. Thank you very much Vito.

Thank you everyone for your advice, support, and help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can I find sample translations?

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs