Mobile menu

getting registered as self employed in PORTUGAL?
Thread poster: langues12
English to French
Nov 28, 2007

Hi everybody

I would like to register my activity as a freelance translator in Portugal.

Has anyone done it before? Knows the system?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Fiona Gonçalves  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:32
Portuguese to English
+ ...
freelancing in Portugal Nov 29, 2007

First of all you need a Portuguese tax number (número de contribuinte), which you obtain from the nearest office of the "finanças". This is also where you register to set up as a freelancer. When I registered it was at the IVA desk. They asked for ID and the número de contribuinte and then they did all the rest, filled in the forms on the computer and I just had to sign. They give you a copy of the form confirming you have registered. You then need to take this with you to the tesouraria to buy your book of "green receipts" (recibos verdes - I'm not sure why they're called this. They're not green.) After that, you also need to go the social security office to register with them as you have to make contributions (unless you're eligible for exemption, as in my case because I also have a day job so my contributions are paid through that).
It took me a morning to sort it all out, which I thought was surprisingly quick.
Hope this helps.

English to French
Muito obrigada Dec 1, 2007

Muito obrigada Fiona.

Thanks a lot. Your message is very helpful. All the information I needed is there!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

getting registered as self employed in PORTUGAL?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs