Mobile menu

How to work as Russian-English translator in Australia
Thread poster: kraeside
Russian to English
Nov 29, 2007

I have been living in Russia for the past 18 months, and have managed to get to upper-intermediate level Russian (I recently passed TORFL level 2 and got an A), and it is my ultimate goal to work as a translator. Can anyone help me with next steps?
I have looked for masters courses in Australia, but I can only find Translating and Interpreting (requiring native level), or the one course I found that offers Translation with a Russian stream is at Australian National University in Canberra, and is not NAATI accredited. Is this worth doing?
I am really not sure what my options are, if this is worth pursuing, is there a demand in Australia, how to get started etc.
If anyone with experience in the Australian industry could give me advice I would be very grateful.

Direct link Reply with quote

Oleg Rudavin  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:31
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Freelancing is not limited georgaphically Nov 29, 2007

No need to limit oneself to a sertain country/region - we work via Internet.

Education can be important for some clients. but what matters most is your skills, ability to deliver a quality product, specialization and understanding of the market. Marketing skills are a great help in securing your place in this market, too.

Besl luck!

The Misha
Local time: 19:31
Russian to English
+ ...
To which I can add ... Nov 29, 2007

that you should not count on getting rich off it any time soon, or even making a regular decent living - not while living outside of Russia anyway. There are much greener pastures for sure.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to work as Russian-English translator in Australia

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs