https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/91168-prozmail%3A_how_widely_is_it_used_how_good_is_it.html

Prozmail: How widely is it used? How good is it?
Thread poster: Oliver Dirs
Oliver Dirs
Oliver Dirs  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:48
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dec 5, 2007

Hi. I'm considering starting as a freelance translator and am currently researching the business setup side of things. The latest thing I'm looking into is email: various threads on this forum have debated the pros and cons of Gmail/Hotmail addresses, and it seems that a few agencies aren't keen on these. I then discovered that Proz offers the Prozmail webmail address service. I like the idea of having an "@languages.proz.com" address, but from what I've seen of it Prozmail (at least in its free... See more
Hi. I'm considering starting as a freelance translator and am currently researching the business setup side of things. The latest thing I'm looking into is email: various threads on this forum have debated the pros and cons of Gmail/Hotmail addresses, and it seems that a few agencies aren't keen on these. I then discovered that Proz offers the Prozmail webmail address service. I like the idea of having an "@languages.proz.com" address, but from what I've seen of it Prozmail (at least in its free version) doesn't look up to the standards of Gmail and Hotmail. How widely is Prozmail used? How well does it work? Has anyone had trouble accessing it? Any views would be gratefully received. I know there's all sorts of forwarding, filtering you can do to juggle mail between various addresses but I'd prefer to stick with one for simplicty's sake. Thanks, Oliver.Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:48
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is excellent Dec 5, 2007

I have been using this service for a few years. It is quite reliable. However, I don't use the free account but pay $24.95 USD a year for an upgraded account. No spam. Always accessible. In essence, I don't have any problems with the language.proz.com service. I rely on it to communicate with my clients.

On the other hand, I also have a proz.com based domain and email account which is completely the opposite; tons of spam and lots of lost emails.

HTH,

Elía
... See more
I have been using this service for a few years. It is quite reliable. However, I don't use the free account but pay $24.95 USD a year for an upgraded account. No spam. Always accessible. In essence, I don't have any problems with the language.proz.com service. I rely on it to communicate with my clients.

On the other hand, I also have a proz.com based domain and email account which is completely the opposite; tons of spam and lots of lost emails.

HTH,

Elías

[Edited at 2007-12-05 17:57]
Collapse

Mihailolja
Mihailolja
United Kingdom
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Gmail is fine Dec 5, 2007

I have been using it for a couple of years and the free anti-spam service (puts them all into a spam folder) is the best I've ever seen.

So far its been very reliable and I would recommend it.

Regards

Mihailo

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:48
English to Chinese
+ ...
email Dec 6, 2007

I don't like anti-spam function, eg. the gmail has classified some useful messages like job notifications into spam mail, moreover, my POP3 (Foxmail) cannot receive them even they are so-called junk mails, the gmail absolutely hampers the Span Mail going through POP3. It is inconvenient to log on gmail.google.com to receive those Missing Mails, moreover, the log-on is time-consuming, firstly input the password, then waiting... even a few steps.

Whatever email you used is not a prob
... See more
I don't like anti-spam function, eg. the gmail has classified some useful messages like job notifications into spam mail, moreover, my POP3 (Foxmail) cannot receive them even they are so-called junk mails, the gmail absolutely hampers the Span Mail going through POP3. It is inconvenient to log on gmail.google.com to receive those Missing Mails, moreover, the log-on is time-consuming, firstly input the password, then waiting... even a few steps.

Whatever email you used is not a problem, the priority problem is that you can actually receive or send a mail. Once upon a time, my mail was sent back from abroad in a particular time.

[Edited at 2007-12-06 03:55]
Collapse

Oliver Dirs
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the replies Dec 6, 2007

Thanks for the replies. Elías' comments about the pay version of Prozmail sound encouraging. It's good to get some feedback, as I'd prefer to decide on a particular email address when starting out as a translator and then stick with it, rather than have to change it later on. Regards, Oliver

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:48
English to Dutch
+ ...
What about your own domain? Dec 6, 2007

Having your own domain - in your case, for example: www.oliverdirs.com or something similar - would enable you to have your own email address and add more whenever you like.

For example, I have info-at-logmans.eu, which seems to be getting a lot of spam, as it's easily automated, and translations-at-logmans.eu, for jobs and customers. It helps filter things out.

The site itself is rudi
... See more
Having your own domain - in your case, for example: www.oliverdirs.com or something similar - would enable you to have your own email address and add more whenever you like.

For example, I have info-at-logmans.eu, which seems to be getting a lot of spam, as it's easily automated, and translations-at-logmans.eu, for jobs and customers. It helps filter things out.

The site itself is rudimentary and still in development, but I very much like this way of organising my e-mail.

Having your own domain really isn't all that expensive anymore, these days.
Collapse

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
A domain is the best bet Dec 6, 2007

Margreet Logmans wrote:

The site itself is rudimentary and still in development, but I very much like this way of organising my e-mail.

Having your own domain really isn't all that expensive anymore, these days.

I totally agree. My domain www.verslanglais.com is also my professional page on ProZ. No need to change e-mail addresses or Internet providers - and if you do change at some point, no need to print out new business cards and letterheads! You can have your mail redirected to whatever mailbox you like. Your clients will only ever have to know the name of the domain.

IMHO having a domain (even if you don't have a real website) is also the most professional way to be contacted, because it shows you've taken the time to work on your image. It also assures continuity in spite of the failings of certain e-mail providers (which is why I got one). And as Margreet says, it's really not expensive. A ".com" costs about 8 Euros a year and only a bit of technical knowledge to set up.

Oliver Dirs
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Best place to get a domain? Dec 6, 2007

Thanks for the advice about domains. This did occur to me, although I sort of liked the generic "@languages..." moniker. I know almost nothing about getting a domain: I believe, however, that you can get one these days when you sign up to Google Apps for $50 a year. That's more than has been quoted by some, but then you get all Google benefits with it, including accessing your unique email address through Gmail.

Veronica Coquard
Veronica Coquard
France
French to English
+ ...
Sounds expensive Dec 6, 2007

Oliver Dirs wrote:

Thanks for the advice about domains. This did occur to me, although I sort of liked the generic "@languages..." moniker. I know almost nothing about getting a domain: I believe, however, that you can get one these days when you sign up to Google Apps for $50 a year. That's more than has been quoted by some, but then you get all Google benefits with it, including accessing your unique email address through Gmail.

Never heard of Google Apps (actually I'd never heard of ProZ webmail apart from the little mailbox thingy - learn something every day), but it sounds expensive compared to a simple domain. There are surely other services involved, but are they adapted to your needs? As a beginner, you'll have other things to pay for: publicity, dictionaries, computer programs... And you want to choose carefully.

I do advocate the domain system for its simplicity and economy, but I don't want to advertise one service provider or another. You'll be overwhelmed with offers if you do a search on "purchase domain", for example.

Best of luck!

Oliver Dirs
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Domain cost Dec 6, 2007

Turns out the $50 was for the "Premier" edition of Google Apps. Seems they provide a domain for $10 a year. Anyway, seems like a domain is the way to go. Thanks for the advice.

wolmix
wolmix
English to French
Gmail Dec 7, 2007

Mihailolja wrote:

I have been using it for a couple of years and the free anti-spam service (puts them all into a spam folder) is the best I've ever seen.

So far its been very reliable and I would recommend it.

I agree with you. That's why I use it too for several years. Very reliable, excellent, *no spam at all*. And much more.

You just have to check the spam folder as you check your mail, a routine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prozmail: How widely is it used? How good is it?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »