Free Sample texts for translation.
Thread poster: sonia meher
sonia meher
sonia meher  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:10
English to Hindi
Dec 14, 2007

Hello Everyone!
I have been active on proz.com as a free member for quite sometime but now I wish to upgrade to a paid membership. Before going for that I want to polish my profile by providing all relevant information. I am stuck on the 'portfolio' section where I have to post some sample translations done by me. I have done a lot of work as a freelancer but unfortunately I cant post the pieces of those projects because of confidentiality reasons.
I want to translate some good texts
... See more
Hello Everyone!
I have been active on proz.com as a free member for quite sometime but now I wish to upgrade to a paid membership. Before going for that I want to polish my profile by providing all relevant information. I am stuck on the 'portfolio' section where I have to post some sample translations done by me. I have done a lot of work as a freelancer but unfortunately I cant post the pieces of those projects because of confidentiality reasons.
I want to translate some good texts and post them as samples. Can anyone suggest me some website on the net where I can find sample texts without copyright issues. I did search google for this purpose but cudn't find any success.
Any help would be warmy appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Sonia Meher
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:40
German to English
+ ...
Free Sample texts for translation. Dec 14, 2007

Wikipedia.

The texts are still subject to copyright, but you can use them provided you observe the copyright terms.

Marc

Narcis Lozano Drago
Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:40
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Project Gutenberg Dec 14, 2007

You also have Project Gutenberg.

http://www.gutenberg.org

Most texts are pretty old, but it's useful if you are into Literary translation.

Narcis

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:40
Russian to English
+ ...
US Government texts Dec 14, 2007

Most US Government texts come with verbiage that basically says they don't mind if you copy it provided you acknowledge that you're doing so. Look for texts written by US Government agencies concerning a subject of interest to you. If the text is not accompanied by such verbiage, you can write to the agency in question indicating what you propose to do and asking for permission. The US Government agency will usually grant permission, if for no other reason than the fact that you have indicate... See more
Most US Government texts come with verbiage that basically says they don't mind if you copy it provided you acknowledge that you're doing so. Look for texts written by US Government agencies concerning a subject of interest to you. If the text is not accompanied by such verbiage, you can write to the agency in question indicating what you propose to do and asking for permission. The US Government agency will usually grant permission, if for no other reason than the fact that you have indicated an interest in what they wrote.Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:40
German to English
+ ...
Shvoong Dec 15, 2007

I used some texts (abstracts) I had previously translated on Shvoong. I hope there are no copyright problems with them – I can see nothing on Shvoong to suggest that there would be.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:40
English to French
+ ...
NewsTarget Dec 16, 2007

Not all articles would be worth putting into your portfolio because some have a rather hysterical tone, but these articles touch on a myriad of subjects and are news also. The website says that you can post these articles as long as you keep the copyright notice.

Interesting reading, too!

http://www.newstarget.com

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:40
German to English
+ ...
Something you might try.... Dec 16, 2007

sonia meher wrote:
I am stuck on the 'portfolio' section where I have to post some sample translations done by me... Can anyone suggest me some website on the net where I can find sample texts without copyright issues.

You might see about obtaining permission from clients to use unpaid translation tests in your portfolio or specify the right to do so as part of the agreement to do these "tests". If they aren't paying for it, you own the translation in any case, but you want to make sure there are no copyright conflicts for the source text. A few of my agencies kindly provided such permission years ago for several of my samples.

redred
redred  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:40
English to Chinese
+ ...
test Dec 19, 2007

Sample test sent by some offers may be available, because people have considered they are not confidential so they sent them to you, plus your technique treatment to the source text, especially free tests (anyway, I don't like free test), only no work-intended people would send free one, it is so easy to do it just by clicking away a mail.

[Edited at 2007-12-19 10:20]

Karen Sailer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free Sample texts for translation.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »