Mobile menu

First interpreting job in Germany: taxes!
Thread poster: mvc139
mvc139
Local time: 19:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 22, 2007

Dear friends,

I found a job as an interpreter for a day. It will be a consecutive interpretation in Germany (SpanishGerman). The problem is that I have never worked (formally) before and I am not sure about what would be the right steps.

As far as I know, the first thing I have to do is get a Steuernummer (I am Spanish and have been living in Berlin for 4 months now). Then, I have to apply the taxes and in the end of the year I have to declare what I earned.

Well, my main questions are...
1. My employer sent me an e-mail asking for a formal price. Do I have to send him the price after taxes, or can I do it later?
2. Does anyone have or know where I can find a standard bill so that I can present it to my employer?
3. Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks and I wish you all a very merry Christmas!

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Blue-eyed answer - with 10 years of experience with German taxes Dec 22, 2007

1. My employer sent me an e-mail asking for a formal price. Do I have to send him the price after taxes, or can I do it later?

send one invoice only that covers taxes as well. I assume, no VAT for now. It will/may come later / next year. The important thing for your client is to have a proof that you either pay VAT or are VAT-exempt.
2. Does anyone have or know where I can find a standard bill so that I can present it to my employer?
Any normal invoice should do.
3. Is there anything else I need to know?
possibly. But that should do for now. You'll learn the ropes with time.There's nothing special about German tax system. It just .... takes its bite like any other;) And it is consistent.

Merry Xmas to you too!

Vito

[Urejeno ob 2007-12-22 22:20]

Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
practical invoice templates Dec 23, 2007

mvc139 wrote:

For sample German and English invoices, try

http://www.german-english-translator.com/en_InvoiceSample.htm .

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

First interpreting job in Germany: taxes!

Advanced search

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs