Thread poster: Nicole Ross
Nicole Ross
Australia
Local time: 11:14
German to English
+ ...
Jan 22, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to proz, and to the wider world of translation. I've been accredited for five years (in German and Chinese), and having worked for the same agency for four of those years, I'm keen to expand and start doing more translation work. At the moment, I juggle my full-time office job with my translation work, so I've been sending applications to the highest-rated agencies on the Blue Board.

So far, I've applied to agencies in Australia and New Zealand. Next, I want to start applying to agencies in Germany, and I was wondering how best to go about it. Should I send the application cover note and my CV in German or in English? I only translate into English, so perhaps I should also apply to agencies in English? Which language would be most appropriate for the application?

Thank you, Nicole

Direct link Reply with quote

Jalapeno
Local time: 02:44
English to German
... Jan 22, 2008

My two cents:

Use German. After all, it's the official language in the country where the agencies you want to contact are located. While most agencies will have English-speaking staff, your CV could just as well land on the desk of a project manager who doesn't speak English and simply throws it away unread ...

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 02:44
German
+ ...
Seconded Jan 22, 2008

Jalapeno wrote:

My two cents:

Use German. After all, it's the official language in the country where the agencies you want to contact are located. While most agencies will have English-speaking staff, your CV could just as well land on the desk of a project manager who doesn't speak English and simply throws it away unread ...

Absolutely, and it also gives the reader an impression of your command of the German language. Don't worry, nobody's expecting it to be perfect, but a certain level of proficiency in the source language is obviously a definite requirement.

HTH,
Benjamin

edit: Whoops, spelling.

[Edited at 2008-01-22 13:57]

Nicole Ross
Australia
Local time: 11:14
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 22, 2008

Thank you for the feedback, Jalapeno and Benjamin.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Overseas applications to German agencies

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums