Starting as a freelance translator in Denmark
Thread poster: KSBDKFreelance
KSBDKFreelance
KSBDKFreelance
Local time: 09:30
English to Danish
Jan 30, 2008

Dear all

I am seriously thinking of starting as a freelance translator and need som advice on how to do so. What do I need to take into consideration and what is a must to know in this business.

All advices is appreciated - I thank you all for your time.

Kind regards

Kristina

EllyLiu
EllyLiu
China
Local time: 15:30
English to Chinese
Hi Kristina, Jan 31, 2008

Some points for your information:
1. What fields will you focus? Before starting as a freelance, what did you? That might bring you a start.
2. What's your investment before you can make profit?
3. How to get translation jobs?

Hope it makes sense Good luck!

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Also look in the Danish forum Jan 31, 2008

If you haven't seen it, there is a Danish forum at Proz.com.
When posting there, your chance of getting relevant response is higher.
Welcome to Proz.com.

Jørgen

Jennifer Neikes (X)
Jennifer Neikes (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Many things to consider Jan 31, 2008

Hi Kristina,

Signing in to Proz.com has already been a good start in any case. Apart from that, there are so many things you might want to consider when starting as a freelancer.

There are two sides to the whole thing:

the translation side:
-> do you have a relevant education/qualification
-> what kind of material will you want to focus on (technical/medical/business/...)
-> your language combinations
-> which CAT tools will you (hav
... See more
Hi Kristina,

Signing in to Proz.com has already been a good start in any case. Apart from that, there are so many things you might want to consider when starting as a freelancer.

There are two sides to the whole thing:

the translation side:
-> do you have a relevant education/qualification
-> what kind of material will you want to focus on (technical/medical/business/...)
-> your language combinations
-> which CAT tools will you (have to) use

the administrative side:
-> good idea to get a CVR-number/be registered for Moms as soon as possible
-> do you have all the office tools you will need
-> will you start fulltime or part-time (-> do you have any other income to help you get through the first months)
-> how will you meet customers (do you have references, are you member of a business network, do you have existing customers from earlier jobs you could use, or will you advertise your services professionally)
-> will you want to do your book-keeping yourself or do you want to hire someone for it
-> what about a revisor?

These are just the things that immediately came to my mind, but I'm sure there's more. At www.startvaekst.dk you can find a lot of relevant information and inspiration and you can even get professional counselling for free.
SKAT also offers information evenings for people starting for themselves. There you will get a good overview of what you'll have to know about skat and moms. You will find more information about that on skat's website.
But of course you will also get help with more specific questions here on the forum.

Having said all this, athough it might seem daunting now, you shouldn't forget that others have done it before. So there's no reason why you shouldn't manage as well.

/Jennifer
Collapse

dong zhang
dong zhang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:30
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not a easy work Feb 1, 2008

first you should master the source and target language, then drill on some CAT tools, most time it is useful. they can save you a lot of time if there are many repitations. keep studying and practice.

maybe you can set up an personal web page just like me, www.transolo.com, it is said many project can be introduced to your personal webpage

Réka Kovács
Réka Kovács
Romania
Local time: 10:30
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I'm a beginner too Feb 27, 2008

Hello everybody.

I'm a beginner too... I am surfing here in this site for about 3 days, all day long....and to tell you the truth: I'm lost Maybe I am too stupid, but it seems to me that all this work through proZ.com is quite complicated.
There are many things that I have actually understood, still when I try to do something i freeze and don't know what the next step would be.

Plese help me, I'm
... See more
Hello everybody.

I'm a beginner too... I am surfing here in this site for about 3 days, all day long....and to tell you the truth: I'm lost Maybe I am too stupid, but it seems to me that all this work through proZ.com is quite complicated.
There are many things that I have actually understood, still when I try to do something i freeze and don't know what the next step would be.

Plese help me, I'm sure you can.

I managed to make a profile for a start, but I don't know how I should go on to gain membership.

Thanks everyone.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting as a freelance translator in Denmark

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »