Torn between many SDL Trados
Thread poster: xxxRenascence
xxxRenascence
United States
Korean to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2008

Hello Colleagues,

I am getting started in Proz.com, and I believe it is necessary to get Trados. However, I am puzzled by SDL or Trados. It seems there are so many Trados out there; I know Trados is a CAT tool like Wordfast or OmegaT. What kind of Trados do you recommend for a beginner like me? What is the difference between:

1. SDLX,
2. SDL Trados 2007 Freelance($895),
3. SDL Trados 2007 Freelance SP2? (the one available at Proz Group Buy $695)

Many thanks in advance. Jimi

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:16
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Option 3 / try trial versions first Feb 1, 2008

Jimi Law wrote:

Hello Colleagues,

I am getting started in Proz.com, and I believe it is necessary to get Trados. However, I am puzzled by SDL or Trados. It seems there are so many Trados out there; I know Trados is a CAT tool like Wordfast or OmegaT. What kind of Trados do you recommend for a beginner like me? What is the difference between:

1. SDLX,

Many thanks in advance. Jimi

SDLX is part of the SDL Trados Freelance package.
With ProZ.com's group buy you get the same product - but you need to fork out 200 bucks less.
Make sure to try the trial version first to see whether this is the product you need. Take a look at other programs, too, before making your final pick; for certain tasks Trados may be the best choice, while for others Wordfast, MetaTexis, OmegaT, Deja Vu, Transit or others.

Attila

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:16
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same product, AFAIK Feb 1, 2008

Jimi Law wrote:

SP2 is service pack 2, meaning you get product 1 plus the service pack. However, buying the Freelance pack also entitles you to the service pack, as I understand.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Torn between many SDL Trados

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs