Using company names & logos on my site?
Thread poster: David Howard

David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:57
French to English
+ ...
Feb 27, 2008

Can anyone please advise me on the use of trade names and logos on my website? Is it possible to simply list clients or do I need to get permission?

Many thanks
David H

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Always get permission Feb 27, 2008

David Howard wrote:
Can anyone please advise me on the use of trade names and logos on my website? Is it possible to simply list clients or do I need to get permission?

It is a good idea to get permission from all your clients before mentioning them on your web site. However, some people might say that if the end client is a large, well-known company, it couldn't hurt to mention them. As for logos, well, that depends on the fair usage legislation of your country, but personally I would not use logos unless the layout specifically suggests that these companies do not endorse you.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 27, 2008

Hi Samuel

That's a very helpful post. In most cases I'm sure people wouldn't complain; it's a little free advertising for some, although I don't think I would use logos, that could get complicated and they don't necessary add much. The other question I have is that cos I've done the work through agencies, they're not strictly speaking my clients, so does this change things? I guess I've still carried out work for them, even if indirectly.

Thanks again

David

[Edited at 2008-02-27 22:39]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:57
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The end-client is not really your client Feb 28, 2008

David Howard wrote:
The other question I have is that cos I've done the work through agencies, they're not strictly speaking my clients, so does this change things? I guess I've still carried out work for them, even if indirectly.

Your clients are the agencies. The end-clients are not really your clients and you are not supposed to have dealings with them directly, unless you are absolutely certain that your agency won't mind (also read your NDA and contract with the agency).

So, if you do work for XYZ Agency, and the work is translating stuff for the Coca-Cola company, you should perhaps not say that you did work for Coca-Cola, but that you had translated documents *from* or *by* Coca-Cola.

Mentioning the names of your agencies (if you have permission) can be good because you can also mention their contact details, and people can write to them to get references

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 28, 2008

Thanks again Samuel, that's very helpful.
David

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Search forum History?? Feb 28, 2008

There was a really good thread about this maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I seem to recall lots of good advice and valid points made (not least of which is Samuel's point that you haven't actually worked for them at all if the stuff came through an agency).

I do remember that the upshot was that I personally decided to steer well clear of the whole idea. I only wish I could remember why. All I can remember is that it was jolly important !

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probably gonna steer clear of the idea Feb 29, 2008

Given what you've both said, I think I'm gonna steer clear of using company names and logos if they're not strictly speaking my clients. I think I'll need to get some directly so I can build up my credentials.

Thanks again
David

dmaswary  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
Portuguese to English
my .02 cents Mar 26, 2008

For what its worth I am just setting up shop myself

Speaking from a legal perspective I would not use any visual information unless you had specific legal consent or something written at the very least. I think even an e mail would be helpful.

I am referring particularly to an individual client not acquired through an agency, it has just been my experience that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of care in any business.

Having said that I think most individual clients would be amenable to your usage, and it would be most effective on a website.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using company names & logos on my site?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs