Brigith Guimarães
Brigith Guimarães  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:48
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 4, 2003

I am new in the world of web translating, but very keen on making my way. Among my many doubts, for which I have already found answers to through the statements of other Pros, one still remains:

At the time of invoicing (hope it comes..), what sort of invoice may I send to customer? Do I have to mention VAT or simply the total value of the job?

Thanks for helping!
[addsig]

Brigith Guimarães
Brigith Guimarães  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"How should I bill" request Apr 4, 2003

Thank you very much for your prompt explanation. My main doubt was about VAT.

Will come back if I need to, if you\'ll allow me to.

brigith

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
VAT depends on location of your client Apr 5, 2003

Hello,

By Portuguese Tax Law you have to charge VAT (19%) in all jobs you perform for clients located in Portugal. If you work in Portugal and your client is also located in Portugal you have to charge 19% VAT.

If you work for clients either in Europe or outside Europe you don\'t charge VAT.

When talking to the tax office, don\'t work with them directly in what concerns VAT. Most Tax Offices in Portugal don\'t know this regulation v
... See more
Hello,

By Portuguese Tax Law you have to charge VAT (19%) in all jobs you perform for clients located in Portugal. If you work in Portugal and your client is also located in Portugal you have to charge 19% VAT.

If you work for clients either in Europe or outside Europe you don\'t charge VAT.

When talking to the tax office, don\'t work with them directly in what concerns VAT. Most Tax Offices in Portugal don\'t know this regulation very well since this is new - a couple of years ago this law read differently.

Please always contact a TOC and if your TOC is not sure about this either (not all TOCs have translators in theirs portfolios - specially translators working for EU and international market) please ask them to contact their own \"Chamber\" or the main VAT Office in Lisbon.

I am 100% certain on this matter and got this information from the above mentioned sources.

On this issue, please also check other threads on the Portuguese Section of Proz.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mónica

Collapse

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just one more thing still Apr 5, 2003

Hi,

Just forgot to mention that everything I mentioned on previous posting is applicable to every invoice. No matter the way you send it to your client - hardcopy or electronically. Also, if you work as a freelancer (not established as a company) the invoice you send is just for your client to pay. Upon settlement you have to fill in the appropriate \"Recibo Verde\" - this is what counts for the tax office.

If you require any further info please feel fre
... See more
Hi,

Just forgot to mention that everything I mentioned on previous posting is applicable to every invoice. No matter the way you send it to your client - hardcopy or electronically. Also, if you work as a freelancer (not established as a company) the invoice you send is just for your client to pay. Upon settlement you have to fill in the appropriate \"Recibo Verde\" - this is what counts for the tax office.

If you require any further info please feel free to contact me privately.

Best regards,

Mónica

Collapse

truptee
truptee  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:18
French to English
+ ...
Thank you! Apr 5, 2003

That was really helpful. I was wondering how to go about this invoicing thing for a long time.

Going a step further, I wanted to ask another question..

You talked about soft invoices.. aren\'t they easy to be tampered? How can I assure that my invoice stays with the agency as it has been sent by me? What repercussions would that have(if tampered with)?

Thanks.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:48
English to German
+ ...
VAT isn't that simple, I'm afraid... Apr 5, 2003

Tayfun, there\'s one statement I would like to qualify...

Quote:

Note: For international invoices VAT is not included, but you need to know if there is any specific regulation thereto.

You did qualify it yourself, but let\'s be clear: VAT may well be applicable to cross-border invoices, even within the EU. This depends on the exact type of service provided/work done, as well as on the VAT status of th
... See more
Tayfun, there\'s one statement I would like to qualify...

Quote:

Note: For international invoices VAT is not included, but you need to know if there is any specific regulation thereto.

You did qualify it yourself, but let\'s be clear: VAT may well be applicable to cross-border invoices, even within the EU. This depends on the exact type of service provided/work done, as well as on the VAT status of the provider and the customer.

Check the situation with your tax advisor, or with your local tax authorities - unpaid VAT can be a ticking time bomb to your finances.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How should I bill?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »