Greek dictionaries (software)
Thread poster: Vampyre
Vampyre
Vampyre
German to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2005

Ela gia sas kalimera

First of all, Im sorry for not posting in Greek but Im afraid Im still to much of a beginner to be able to do that.

I am looking for an English-Greek dictionary to install on my PC which has audio files. eg if I look up the word "mother" I would be able to read "mitera" and hear it at the same time or next to the word there would be an icon, if I click on it I would hear the pronounc
... See more
Ela gia sas kalimera

First of all, Im sorry for not posting in Greek but Im afraid Im still to much of a beginner to be able to do that.

I am looking for an English-Greek dictionary to install on my PC which has audio files. eg if I look up the word "mother" I would be able to read "mitera" and hear it at the same time or next to the word there would be an icon, if I click on it I would hear the pronounciation of the word "mitera".

Im still having problems with the intonation and figuring out which syllable to stress so I reckon a "talking" dictionary would be very helpful. I havent been able to find such a dictionary, though Im pretty sure it must exist, so any suggestions are welcome.

Any help is highly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Vampyre

PS please answer in english
Collapse

Youli Bogdanou (X)
Youli Bogdanou (X)
Local time: 11:09
English to Greek
"Talking" dictionary Apr 11, 2005

Kalimera

http://www.magenta.gr/en/lexicon_english_speakers/
Though I wouldn't say that it's the best dictionary ever, it's ideal for beginners, plus it "talks" a lot. The interface is very good, and it can be very helpful.

Vampyre
Vampyre
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which dictionary do you like most? Apr 11, 2005

Thanks a lot for your post, I downloaded the demo version and Ive played with it quite a bit, I love the user interface and all the fancy settings, I like the explanations in English when you look up a word and it seems to be fairly comprehensive, I found even slang or archaic words.

I am very surprised however that it wont find basic things like "happy birthday" or other phrasal expressions.

Ive also downloaded their text-to-speech software and it works really well,
... See more
Thanks a lot for your post, I downloaded the demo version and Ive played with it quite a bit, I love the user interface and all the fancy settings, I like the explanations in English when you look up a word and it seems to be fairly comprehensive, I found even slang or archaic words.

I am very surprised however that it wont find basic things like "happy birthday" or other phrasal expressions.

Ive also downloaded their text-to-speech software and it works really well, i can highlight any Greek text and I will hear the pronounciation. Bearing this in mind I remembered that you said:

Youli Bogdanou wrote:
I wouldn't say that it's the best dictionary ever

so I was wondering whats the best "non-talking" dictionary software out there? I can use the text-to-speech software to make it talk so this wouldnt be a problem.

Thanks again for your time and help,

Vampyre
Collapse

Youli Bogdanou (X)
Youli Bogdanou (X)
Local time: 11:09
English to Greek
Technical terms missing or wrong Apr 12, 2005

It is the best when it comes to "talking" as far as I know, but as a "dictionary" it has some problems. Some terms, mostly technical, are wrong. I can't remember anyone right now, sorry, but as I told you, you can rely on it when it comes to common words and expressions.
There are only 2 dictionaries for pc, the one I told you about and this
... See more
It is the best when it comes to "talking" as far as I know, but as a "dictionary" it has some problems. Some terms, mostly technical, are wrong. I can't remember anyone right now, sorry, but as I told you, you can rely on it when it comes to common words and expressions.
There are only 2 dictionaries for pc, the one I told you about and this one:
http://www.stafilidis.gr/index.files/page0005.htm
I have it (possibly an older version) but never managed to make it work on xp, plus I consider offensive the practice of some programmers that force you to insert the cd in the drive in order for the software to work. It seems that they have spent more time locking it than creating a stable and user friendly interface.
I hope I’ve helped!
Collapse

Vampyre
Vampyre
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Software Apr 12, 2005

Ive downloaded their demo version but even the installation menu is in Greek and it comes up with some popup messages I dont understand, therefore I'll stick with the first dictionary you suggested. I agree that nowadays having to keep the cdrom in your drive is a nightmare especially with dictionaries.

Youli Bogdanou wrote:
http://www.stafilidis.gr/index.files/page0005.htm
I have it (possibly an older version) but never managed to make it work on xp,

Regarding your problem of it not running under xp try this:

- open folder where the exe file of the software is
-> right click on exe file
-> select properties
-> click on "compatibility" tab
-> select "run software in compatibility mode for win xyz" (choose the windows version the software was meant to run on from scroll down menu)
-> click on apply
-> click on OK
-> run software

Good luck and thanks again for your helpσας ευχαριστώ τα μέγιστα!

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Greek dictionaries (software)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »