Off topic: seeking advice on flats to let in Greece
Thread poster: SlawekW

SlawekW
Local time: 19:59
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 30, 2007

Yassos!

I wonder if anyone could help me and advise on the cost of long term lets in Greece. I am very seriously considering a temporary move (6- 12 months, maybe longer), to have a break from the cold and the politics in my country... What I am looking for is a one-bedroom place, with a decent kitchen and an adequate place to work (this involves broadband internet). I'd definitely prefer somewhere non- touristy, but within a reasonable distance from cultural centres. Please don't ask me 'Where in Greece?' - what I'd love to hear about is people's favourite places there.

Most of the websites advertise short term rentals for tourists but I guess the best deals are - as in most of countries - available via classifieds in local papers or small local estate agents.

What I will probably do is make a small recce tour, but I'd love to have some preliminary ideas about where to go. All help will be greatly appreciated!

Warm regards,

Slawek

Direct link Reply with quote

Dr. Derk von Moock
Greece
Local time: 20:59
Greek to German
+ ...
Broadband Internet Jan 31, 2007

Wherever you want to stay, be sure that there ist BB Internet, because You could wait quite a time to get it installed. A Place near the Cultural Centers will be crowded on "nice weather weekends" and in August.

Regards
Derk

marchry
English to Greek
+ ...
about rentals Jan 31, 2007

Hi. It seems to me that you describe Athens as the place to stay and work. Athens is expensive enough, especially in rents (expect AT LEAST 350 euros for what u ask).

Other major cities are Thessaloniki, only a little cheaper, Patra, (much cheaper), Ioannina (almost same as Patra). All these 3 cities host universities so its sure u will find high speed internet connections. Have a look in the apartments for students, I think these are better for ur needs.

Sorry i dont know more informations about these cities, because u see, I live in Athens.

Best regards,

Maria Chrysochou

Marina Khonina  Identity Verified
Turkey
Russian to English
+ ...
Flats in Athens Jan 31, 2007

Slawek, if you are thinking about moving to Athens, I'd suggest classified ads in Athens News, an English-language newspaper. Some flats advertised there are really expensive, but sometimes you can find good deals. Some real estate agencies also post their website addresses along with their ads.

http://www.athensnews.gr/dolma/dol_ma.maindex

Good luck with your search!

Diamantis Konstantinidis
English to Greek
+ ...
Advice on flats Jan 31, 2007

Hi!

If you have no preffered place, you could be looking at numerous choices. The obvious one, Athens, would be very close to places of interest, but an expensive one. Renting a place like the one you described could start from at least € 350 / month plus about € 50 / month for various charges (building services, etc.). If you need a place with parking add at least € 100 to the rent. Also, you must expect to pay about € 50 / month for electricity & telephone (maybe more).

Other big cities (Thessaloniki, Patra, Larissa, Volos etc.) are much more my kind of place: interesting, lively, more humane and less expensive. They have no Acropolis but life is more easy-going. Thessaloniki's cost of living is close to Athens', but the other big cities have cheaper choices. Athens & Thessaloniki have international airports though and this could make it easier for you & family to travel to and from.

Broadband internet is a different story. Normally you have to apply to a telecommunications company, which means you may wait for anything from 15 days to... eternity if there is no appropriate cabling. Try to check beforehand, by visiting their websites (www.otenet.gr, www.forthnet.gr, www.vivodi.gr), though you must probably specify a telephone number.

My choice would be Thessaloniki, which combines the virtues (and vices) of a big multicultural city, with the easy access of a small one, and close-by you can find Mt Olympus, Vergina (antiquities related to Alexander the Great), Seli and Voras (skiing), and the amazing beaches of Halkidiki and Pieria.

I hope you had the patience to read all of the above!!

[Edited at 2007-01-31 17:09]

SlawekW
Local time: 19:59
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not really Jan 31, 2007

marchry wrote:

Hi. It seems to me that you describe Athens as the place to stay and work.

I would not mind something quiter at all! Patra and Ioannina both seem very viable indeed. Does anyone have an idea how much I'd have to fork out for a nice furnished one bedder in one of these places? Does not need to be centrally located in whichever city it will finally be, as I am working at home. Still, internet at home is a must, is it really difficult to have it installed? How about wireless?

I forgot to say I am not entirely unfamiliar with Greece... I love the country and
visited it at least 10 times, but islands most of the time, except short stays in Athens and Thessaloniki.

This time the choice of place will to a large extent depend on the cost of living in an area, which does not mean that the landscape and "attractions" be immaterial...

Thank you all for the help so far!

Slawek

elzosim  Identity Verified
English to Greek
+ ...
Short-term let in Athens Feb 14, 2007

Hi Slawek,

In case you decide to go for a flat in Athens eventually, I can give you the contact details of a lady, who rents furnished studio flats in Athens (about 5 minutes walk from "Megaro Mousikis" station) for short periods.
However, these flats are pretty expensive due to the fact that they are furnished and available for short periods.

On top of that, it won't be easy to arrange a fast internet connection for a few months. You will probably have to pay in advance the fees for a whole year and wait a month or two for the installation.

The best solution for you would be to find a flat that already has a phone line, so that you can use a dial-up connection. You will find plenty of them for free - with higher per-minute-charges though - or you could buy a contract-based connection for one year, which would cost you less in terms of per-minute charges. The advantage in this case is that you can start using it immediately.

Finally, I may also be able to find the contact details for a furnished flat in Corfu, if you are interested. The cost of living there is pretty high though.
Please let me know, even though I' m not sure whether the flat is currently available.

Eleftheria

Proda
French to Spanish
+ ...
flats to let in Greece Jul 18, 2007

Hi Eleftheria,
You seem to be very well connected. I'm in Slawek's situation; moving to Thessaloniki next month. I don't speak the language and i am struggling to find flats or estate agents for flat rentals.
I do not want to share with students though!
Do you happen to have any contacts there?
Thanks in advance!
Regards
Patricia

elzosim wrote:

Hi Slawek,

In case you decide to go for a flat in Athens eventually, I can give you the contact details of a lady, who rents furnished studio flats in Athens (about 5 minutes walk from "Megaro Mousikis" station) for short periods.
However, these flats are pretty expensive due to the fact that they are furnished and available for short periods.

On top of that, it won't be easy to arrange a fast internet connection for a few months. You will probably have to pay in advance the fees for a whole year and wait a month or two for the installation.

The best solution for you would be to find a flat that already has a phone line, so that you can use a dial-up connection. You will find plenty of them for free - with higher per-minute-charges though - or you could buy a contract-based connection for one year, which would cost you less in terms of per-minute charges. The advantage in this case is that you can start using it immediately.

Finally, I may also be able to find the contact details for a furnished flat in Corfu, if you are interested. The cost of living there is pretty high though.
Please let me know, even though I' m not sure whether the flat is currently available.

Eleftheria

elzosim  Identity Verified
English to Greek
+ ...
Hi there! Jul 27, 2007

I'm sorry but I don't have any contacts in Thessaloniki

Good luck!
Eleftheria

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

seeking advice on flats to let in Greece

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs