Off topic: Question about Greek cultural practices
Thread poster: GaryG

GaryG  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:54
English
+ ...
Oct 5, 2007

Hello all,

I don't know Greek (my foreign language is Russian) but I live in a condominium community with three Greek families. Our natural gas is not individually metered, so that means that everyone pays roughly the same share of the gas bill. These three households (and one or two others) frequently leave their outer doors open even in cold weather, "heating the outdoors" at community expense in spite of appeals in the newsletter to keep doors closed.

When I've talked with one homeowner they claim "they're expecting company" but leave the door open day after day.

Before the Board considers fines or some stronger action I just wonder if there's some Greek cultural practice presumably connected with hospitality that encourages people to leave their doors open.

By the way, we're not a "high-crime" neighborhood but we're not a gated community, either. People here should keep their outer doors closed and locked, if only for security reasons.

Direct link Reply with quote

Diamantis Konstantinidis
Local time: 01:54
English to Greek
+ ...
Hmm... not really. Oct 6, 2007

Well, in eras past, people at villages mostly sometimes left doors open during warm days, since there was barely any crime and barely any means of air conditioning. It also means that the house is open to -almost- everyone.

This would not be the case nowadays, especially in the USA.

My guess is it's too hot inside and they don't want to turn off their heating. It surely has nothing to do with their being Greeks. They are the kind who live at the expense of others.

On the other hand, we appreciate a lot being free to do what we want to do; I wonder if fines would do the job - and whether they'll get paid...

Good luck!

[Edited at 2007-10-06 06:15]

[Edited at 2007-10-06 06:16]

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:54
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Greek cultural practices are irrelevant Oct 7, 2007

GaryG wrote:
Our natural gas is not individually metered, so that means that everyone pays roughly the same share of the gas bill. These three households (and one or two others) frequently leave their outer doors open even in cold weather, "heating the outdoors" at community expense in spite of appeals in the newsletter to keep doors closed.

When I've talked with one homeowner they claim "they're expecting company" but leave the door open day after day.

Before the Board considers fines or some stronger action I just wonder if there's some Greek cultural practice presumably connected with hospitality that encourages people to leave their doors open.

Hi Gary,

I agree with Diamantis. I don't think it has anything to do with their being Greeks.
If your neighbors claim that this habit of theirs is some kind of cultural practice, I think they should be reminded that they are no longer in Greece, they're in the US, so they should adapt and not use cultural practice as an excuse. Plus, you said you all need to share the gas bill. That alone is reason enough to be more considerate. If they're expecting company they can leave the door unlocked. Or maybe their company can simply ring the doorbell!

Maria

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Question about Greek cultural practices

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs