Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:51
German to English
Sep 6, 2008

Hi everybody,

My Sony laptop is beginning to show its age so I started to think about replacing it and have almost decided to go with a desktop. My biggest problem is the massive resources used by Trados et al and the fact I have outlook, word, browser, trados and excel (as a minimum) open all the time so I guess I need maximum memory, so I guess a Quad Core, right? Can you give me some suggestions for what else to go for? I guess I upgrade to Vista and Office 2007 (I am assuming th
... See more
Hi everybody,

My Sony laptop is beginning to show its age so I started to think about replacing it and have almost decided to go with a desktop. My biggest problem is the massive resources used by Trados et al and the fact I have outlook, word, browser, trados and excel (as a minimum) open all the time so I guess I need maximum memory, so I guess a Quad Core, right? Can you give me some suggestions for what else to go for? I guess I upgrade to Vista and Office 2007 (I am assuming that the next version of Trados is coming soon and it will be completely compatible). I am not editing videos or playing games so all that stuff is pretty much irrelevant (I spend so much time working why would I spend more time at a computer after that?;))

My laptop feels very slow but I am impatient so maybe it's not so slow. But what makes it hard to work on is the space under my right wrist gets really hot, which makes me wonder if it's on the way out. Any suggestions on that also gratefully received.

Thanks
Gillian
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:51
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
There is no software in fact for Quad Core Sep 6, 2008

Quad Core is useless in your case. It means it works of course, but you get no special advantages. Only servers and software for graphic rendering can make use of this processor. One of Intel Dual Core processors will be fully sufficient.

I have 3 different laptops and everyone is capable of running smoothly software mentioned by you. I also have an external monitor and keyboard and I really don't need anything more; maybe except another monitor...
See more
Quad Core is useless in your case. It means it works of course, but you get no special advantages. Only servers and software for graphic rendering can make use of this processor. One of Intel Dual Core processors will be fully sufficient.

I have 3 different laptops and everyone is capable of running smoothly software mentioned by you. I also have an external monitor and keyboard and I really don't need anything more; maybe except another monitor

Regards

A.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would reccomend a DELL in your situation Sep 6, 2008

Just went through a DELL configuration for a VOSTRO 200 and got a PC with Intel Dual Core processor 2,2 GHz, 3 GIG RAM, Windows XP installed and Windows Vista on medium, Office 2007 Small Business and Notorn Internet Security for 3 years. As HDD your have 320 GB with an integrated backup solution on a second 320 GB HDD.
This is a very good configuration, providing you with all you would need.
The price is 620 GBP plus VAT and shipment.

Best regards
Jerzy

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
not radical Sep 6, 2008

Running "outlook, word, browser, trados and excel" and plenty more is not that big a deal for current computers.
A Core2Duo processor and 2-4 GB of RAM should be enough to do that without breaking a sweat.

BTW computers do slow down because of very fragmented HDs (read up on defragging), and other random stuff. If it's not that old and decently specced you may want to consider defragmenting or even a fresh install. If it's outdated anyway, go ahead and get trigger happy:)

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
memory upgrade may help Sep 6, 2008

Have you already upgraded your laptop memory to maximum capacity? If not, it may help (check in your laptop doc what is the max memory allowed).
Usually, memory is more a bottleneck than CPU (and induces a lot of CPU and disk activity with swapping in and out...).
For the heat, more memory may help indirectly (as explained above) + a cooling pad is helpful. Too much heat is not better for your computer than for your wrist anyway, so you have to do something.

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
ACER Sep 6, 2008

I have just invested in a new ACER 7730G. A 17inch screen, new Centrino2 processor, 4GB ram, 320GB HD, great 8 cell battery with over 4 hours showing (over 3 actual, so long as I don't use intensive graphics programs). Slightly expensive, but well worth it to have two full A4 pages open side by side and easily to read. Heavier than my previous laptop, but again, I think it's worth it.
Good luck as you choose.
Bill

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm doing all the right things Sep 7, 2008

I have maxed out on memory and I defrag it almost every week. It's only a couple of years old. This is the spec:
Processor Intel Pentium M Processor 750
Operating System Windows XP Professional with SP2
Network 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T
Cache 2048 KB (on die)
Memory upgraded to 2048 MB
Memory Information DIMM 533Mhz (DDR2)
Hard Disk Drive 100 Gb (IDE)
(7.5 GB reserved - recovery space)
Graphic Card ATI Mobility Radeon X
... See more
I have maxed out on memory and I defrag it almost every week. It's only a couple of years old. This is the spec:
Processor Intel Pentium M Processor 750
Operating System Windows XP Professional with SP2
Network 10Base-T/100Base-TX/1000Base-T
Cache 2048 KB (on die)
Memory upgraded to 2048 MB
Memory Information DIMM 533Mhz (DDR2)
Hard Disk Drive 100 Gb (IDE)
(7.5 GB reserved - recovery space)
Graphic Card ATI Mobility Radeon X700
Video Memory 256 MB
Display 15.4" TFT XGA 1280x800 (X-black)

I feel like it ought to be just fine but it's still slow and above all hot under the right wrist. Maybe the processor is the problem? I think I'll fish out that support contract and see what Sony have to say for themselves.
Thanks
Gillian
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The processor and chipset are your brakes Sep 7, 2008

You have a bit old processor (single core) with low memory frequency.
I think this - combined e´with the fact it is a laptop - are the reasons why it seems to be slow. It is certainly not younger than 4 years, isn't it?

Time to go for a new one - and if you decide for desktop, consider Dell. Andrzej Lejman told me, you should hurry, as Dell is selling his factories to China

Jim Tucker (X)
Jim Tucker (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Hungarian to English
+ ...
quad core is not the answer.... Sep 7, 2008

....and you could fry eggs on that, if you think you're worried about the heat now. Like the others say, the dual-core (Core 2 duo) will be fine, and should be able to handle the software you mention.

One or two things to consider: many browsers have a bit of a "memory-leak" problem (like Firefox - even the new version) which means that if they have been open for a while with you opening and closing tabs, they can be using up more memory than they should. It sometimes helps t
... See more
....and you could fry eggs on that, if you think you're worried about the heat now. Like the others say, the dual-core (Core 2 duo) will be fine, and should be able to handle the software you mention.

One or two things to consider: many browsers have a bit of a "memory-leak" problem (like Firefox - even the new version) which means that if they have been open for a while with you opening and closing tabs, they can be using up more memory than they should. It sometimes helps to close and reopen the browser occasionally.

Also, if you use a browser-based email rather than Outlook, you can save some memory there too.

But fundamentally, the commenters above who mention the dual core processor are giving good advice, in my opinion. That + 2-4 gigs of memory and you'll really notice the difference compared to what you have now.

[Edited at 2008-09-07 18:28]

[Edited at 2008-09-07 18:42]
Collapse

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Might a fan help? Sep 8, 2008

Gillian Searl wrote:
I feel like it ought to be just fine but it's still slow and above all hot under the right wrist.

I have a Sony VAIO and had a lot of problems with overheating until I got a separate fan. You stand the laptop on it when using it for any lengthy period of time. Before the fan, it would get slower and slower, then switch off. I got the fan a couple of years ago and since then I haven't had any problems of that type at all.

Also, did you hear that Sony recently recalled lots of VAIO laptops? Maybe yours is this type? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7598344.stm

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 05:51
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Sony VAIO VGN-FE41M Sep 8, 2008

I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FE41M laptop. It is slightly more than 2 years old now. Works fine. No overheating.

Jerzy, I am thinking of getting a DELL Hybrid because of its small CPU. I want a desktop this time, with a small CPU and a big monitor (at least 20"). However friends told me there are restrictions with such a small CPU, e.g. can't do upgrades. What do you think of Hybrid?

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
not in the recall Sep 8, 2008

Hi Anne,
I'd like to know more about your fan. Do you have a link for me?
Gillian

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks goodness for paying for professional support Sep 15, 2008

Sony have just sent me a new hard drive At the weekend I'll get my old hard drive imaged and replaced with the new one. Hopefully cooler wrists and a faster laptop next week. Still gonna get a desktop at some point though...

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Laptop cooler/fan Sep 15, 2008

I have one of these Gillian - works fine:

http://www.nextag.co.uk/AKASA/laptop-fan/zzukzB1z5--brand-html

Take care
Debs

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
What do you think of this spec? Sep 26, 2008

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0ghz CPU - 1333mhz FSB, On board sound,
6 x USB2.0 ports, 2048mb DDR memory, 750gb hard disk drive,
Midi ATX tower case, DVD-RW drive,
nVidia GeForce 8400GS chipset PCI express graphics card with dual monitor support,
Microsoft Windows Vista Business edition, Wireless keyboard and optical mouse set
19” Wide Screen TFT display

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spec for a new PC

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »