https://www.proz.com/forum/hardware/118316-transferring_main_partition_on_hard_drive.html

Transferring main partition on hard drive
Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 18, 2008

G'day everyone

Not sure if this is hardware or software

I have a new SATA drive and a year-old IDE drive (or, more correctly, an ATA drive), both the same size. The first partition (on which the OS is installed, being WinXP) of the SATA is the same size as the first partition on the IDE drive. I've installed Windows on the SATA drive last night but I'm having second thoughts, and I wonder if it would be
... See more
G'day everyone

Not sure if this is hardware or software

I have a new SATA drive and a year-old IDE drive (or, more correctly, an ATA drive), both the same size. The first partition (on which the OS is installed, being WinXP) of the SATA is the same size as the first partition on the IDE drive. I've installed Windows on the SATA drive last night but I'm having second thoughts, and I wonder if it would be trivial to transfer (clone?) the SATA data to the IDE drive. And do you think there are any benefits or disadvantages to using either the SATA or the IDE for my main disk?

So, do you know of a way to transfer the working OS and all data from the SATA to the IDE, and is it easier to do that than to simply reinstall everything? I haven't set up any user data on these drives yet -- it is a clean install of XP and a whole bunch of other software. Should I just reinstall XP and the software on the other drive instead?

And, is this really necessary? What are the advantages/disadvatages of SATA over IDE in this case, if any?

And you're probably going to laugh at this, but one of the reasons I want to do the transfer is because I had installed XP on the D: drive, not realising that once you do that, you can't change the drive letter to C:, and I really prefer my first partition to be C:. It just makes life easier. Or, do you know of a utility that can safely reassign the drive letter C: to my OS partition?

Looking forward to your responses.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Partition Magic Oct 18, 2008

Hi Samuel,

Leaving out the SATA/IDE question (I believe that SATA disks are in general somewhat faster, but the real performance depends on the motherboard, so I'd better refrain from any comments here), I would like to advise you using Partition Magic http://www.soft32.com/Download/free-trial/Partition_Magic/4-151-1.html

I have been using
... See more
Hi Samuel,

Leaving out the SATA/IDE question (I believe that SATA disks are in general somewhat faster, but the real performance depends on the motherboard, so I'd better refrain from any comments here), I would like to advise you using Partition Magic http://www.soft32.com/Download/free-trial/Partition_Magic/4-151-1.html

I have been using it since at least 10 years (the product belonged to a different company at that time) for moving, resizing, merging partitions, moving installed software from one partition to another (without reinstalling it), etc.
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
c: Oct 18, 2008

Wanting c to be your system drive is not silly at all, afaik there is software out there that won't even install on any other drive letter. And I think winXP will put some system files on c: whatever you do (although I may have made that one up). I wouldn't install an OS on any other drive unless I had a good reason to.

As to the solution, I don't know. Surely cloning is possible, I just don't know how. I'll keep an eye on this thread though as I'm planning a somewhat similar move t
... See more
Wanting c to be your system drive is not silly at all, afaik there is software out there that won't even install on any other drive letter. And I think winXP will put some system files on c: whatever you do (although I may have made that one up). I wouldn't install an OS on any other drive unless I had a good reason to.

As to the solution, I don't know. Surely cloning is possible, I just don't know how. I'll keep an eye on this thread though as I'm planning a somewhat similar move to back up my system on an external drive.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transferring main partition on hard drive

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »