RAM upgrade
Thread poster: Cagdas Karatas
Cagdas Karatas
Cagdas Karatas  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:45
English to Turkish
Oct 19, 2008

My motherboard is ASUS K8U-X. It has two DDR ram slots supporting up to 2GB. Currently, one 256MB and one 512MB are installed. I'm thinking of upgrading to a higher RAM capacity such as 1GB (a new one) + 512MB (the one already installed) or 1GB + 1GB (both new), discarding my 256MB fellow.

I know very well that the intended use should be the key determinant of making technology updates or purchasing new technologies. This PC is my work station, so I'm going to keep using it for docu
... See more
My motherboard is ASUS K8U-X. It has two DDR ram slots supporting up to 2GB. Currently, one 256MB and one 512MB are installed. I'm thinking of upgrading to a higher RAM capacity such as 1GB (a new one) + 512MB (the one already installed) or 1GB + 1GB (both new), discarding my 256MB fellow.

I know very well that the intended use should be the key determinant of making technology updates or purchasing new technologies. This PC is my work station, so I'm going to keep using it for document processing purposes. Which RAM configuration would you recommend so that I will not suffer from lags and slowness related to cursor movements and document opening/closing, etc.? Plus, is it true that the brands of two RAMs working together should be the same?

Many thanks to all helpers in advance.
Collapse

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:45
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why you guys are so obsessed? Oct 19, 2008

1GB+1GB will work better than 1GB+512MB?

I use a grandpa laptop running XP (so called legacy computer:)) which has 512MB RAM and an old Pentium 3 processor. I think it works wonderfully. It may be slower in starting up but has absolutely no lag in cursor movements or what so ever. When I see someone lists his hardware configurations on the profile or even CV, I can't help wondering why you guys are so obsessed.

Sorry, Çağdaş for not answering your questioin. You defi
... See more

I use a grandpa laptop running XP (so called legacy computer:)) which has 512MB RAM and an old Pentium 3 processor. I think it works wonderfully. It may be slower in starting up but has absolutely no lag in cursor movements or what so ever. When I see someone lists his hardware configurations on the profile or even CV, I can't help wondering why you guys are so obsessed.

Sorry, Çağdaş for not answering your questioin. You definitely know more than me about hardware.

[Edited at 2008-10-19 03:36]
Collapse

Cagdas Karatas
Cagdas Karatas  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:45
English to Turkish
TOPIC STARTER
Obsession? Oct 19, 2008

Dallas Cao wrote:

Sorry, Çağdaş for not answering your questioin. You definitely know more than me about hardware.

[Edited at 2008-10-19 03:36]

I'm obsessed with other aspects of technology; however, the case is far from obsession because I'm having a lot of trouble about maintaining my normal work-related activity; all those lags are so annoying and time-wasting.

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 23:15
Not sure about brands, but two DIMMS are better than one Oct 19, 2008

Each DIMM you install has 4 internal banks within the chip. Banks improve data transfer between the CPU and memory.

Therefore, if you install 2 DIMMs, you will have 8 banks transferring data between memory and the CPU. This leads to improved coordination between the CPU and the memory chip, and performance will improve.

The size of the DIMMS is irrelevant, since DIMMs of all capacities (256MB, 512MB, 1GB) have 4 banks each. So you can keep your 256MB DIMM, of course.
... See more
Each DIMM you install has 4 internal banks within the chip. Banks improve data transfer between the CPU and memory.

Therefore, if you install 2 DIMMs, you will have 8 banks transferring data between memory and the CPU. This leads to improved coordination between the CPU and the memory chip, and performance will improve.

The size of the DIMMS is irrelevant, since DIMMs of all capacities (256MB, 512MB, 1GB) have 4 banks each. So you can keep your 256MB DIMM, of course. Nevertheless, a higher DIMM capacity leads to greatly reduced paging (disk buffer usage) and speeds up the computer enormously, so I would go with higher capacities if possible.

As far as brands are concerned, I would stick to the same brand for both DIMMs, since there could be differences in circuit timing otherwise that could create conflicts and hamper performance.

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2008-10-20 05:58]
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:45
Polish to English
+ ...
2 x 1 GB or 1 x 2 GB - all new Oct 19, 2008

This is my suggestion. As far as I know, multiple RAM modules work best when all are from the same manufacturer and even from the same production batch. Therefore, I would replace your current RAMs either with a single 2 GB module (provided your motherboars supports 2 GB RAM per bank), or with two 1 GB modules (from the same manufacturer, type, production batch and even the same box). This is due to various slight but important differences in electrical parameters (access time, etc.) between man... See more
This is my suggestion. As far as I know, multiple RAM modules work best when all are from the same manufacturer and even from the same production batch. Therefore, I would replace your current RAMs either with a single 2 GB module (provided your motherboars supports 2 GB RAM per bank), or with two 1 GB modules (from the same manufacturer, type, production batch and even the same box). This is due to various slight but important differences in electrical parameters (access time, etc.) between manufacturing technologies, production batches, etc.
Just remove the old RAMs and install a new one or ones.

In the past, my first computer (with 386 processor) had three different RAM modules, hence I experienced an instable and slow operation, with frequent self resetting. I don't want it any more.

AM
Collapse

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:45
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Match Oct 19, 2008

When you upgrade RAM, always use the same size and type. Currently you have 2 diferent sizes of RAM - that can't work. I can't explain why, but it is true, not a myth, any shop will tell you the same.

You need them to match eachother. So check your motherboard capacity (open your pc, look at the name and type of motherboard, google it) and get 2 sticks of RAM of whatever is the highest your motherboard can take, 2 x 256, 2 x 512 or higher. Buy them in a pack of pairs, so you are sur
... See more
When you upgrade RAM, always use the same size and type. Currently you have 2 diferent sizes of RAM - that can't work. I can't explain why, but it is true, not a myth, any shop will tell you the same.

You need them to match eachother. So check your motherboard capacity (open your pc, look at the name and type of motherboard, google it) and get 2 sticks of RAM of whatever is the highest your motherboard can take, 2 x 256, 2 x 512 or higher. Buy them in a pack of pairs, so you are sure they match.

I can recommend Kingston, reliable and not too expensive.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This is not an obsession Oct 19, 2008

but a necessity in modern computers:
Two identical RAM modules just not only work better, as you have more RAM, but work in so called "Dual Channel Mode", where the memory transfer rates are much higher, than with two different modules.
If you attemp to buy RAM, buy a kit of 2 GB, consisting of two 1 GB modules.
The current price in Germany for DDR RAM modules varies from 19 to 29 Euro pro GB.
Don't buy DDR 2 RAM, as it will not work with your motherboard.

Th
... See more
but a necessity in modern computers:
Two identical RAM modules just not only work better, as you have more RAM, but work in so called "Dual Channel Mode", where the memory transfer rates are much higher, than with two different modules.
If you attemp to buy RAM, buy a kit of 2 GB, consisting of two 1 GB modules.
The current price in Germany for DDR RAM modules varies from 19 to 29 Euro pro GB.
Don't buy DDR 2 RAM, as it will not work with your motherboard.

The ASUS K8U-X does support only 1 GB per bank and only DDR 1 modules.
Collapse

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
A myth Oct 20, 2008

Ivana Friis Wilson wrote:

It actually depends on your motherboard.
On some, memory connectors are paired, in others not. You have to check your motherboard's documentation (or your laptop docimentation)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RAM upgrade

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »