Looking for recommendations for notebook with long-life battery
Thread poster: Joanne Parker

Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:39
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
May 25, 2004

I've been looking to buy a laptop for about a year now, and haven't managed to find one that meets my needs. Can anyone recommend a laptop/notebook with:

* Min. of 3 hours battery life
* Pentium 4 processor 2.6 or above
* 512 MB DDR RAM
* Min of 40GB hard drive
* Min. of 15" TFT screen
* Min. of 3 USB ports

I live in the UK and would really appreciate it if someone could recommend a good retailer where I can ask for independent advice.

Many thanks for any help and advice you can give me, I am going away on business soon and do need to buy a laptop asap. Battery life is a major factor in my decision, since it will be mostly used when travelling, ie. no guaranteed access to a fixed power supply!

[Edited at 2004-05-25 20:34]

Direct link Reply with quote

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Centrino May 25, 2004

Hi Joanne,

If you want long battery life you're looking for a Pentium M Centrino as they take a lot less power than normal Pentium IV.
I have a Toshiba Tecra S1 and the battery lasts about 5 hours in long life mode (I proved it in my flights to Argentina).
Here are the specifications: http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/selected_product_option.jsp?z=135&service=UK&PRODUCT_ID=69236&DISC_MODEL=0

I think the new line now is Tecra M1 and M2, but I reckon they must be very similar to mine or with a few enhancements. In fact, the only thing I would have like added in this one is a fire-wire port.

Hope it helps
Grace.

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:39
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Centrino May 30, 2004

http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,1761,a=38387,00.asp

I found in another article that the Toshiba had a bigger battery, and thus a longer batt. life. In this article it is:
(These are all the top of the range models)
1. IBM Thinkpad T40 (> 5hrs 30')
2. Toshiba Tecra M1 (5 hrs 30')
3. Acer travelmate 800 (5 hrs 15')
(Pentium-M /Centrino at 1.6 Ghz)

Performance: Business Winstone (you'll probably know what that is)

1. Acer
2. IBM
3. Toshiba

Anyway, they all left (even) a Pentium IV far behind, as they have 'a large secondary cache'. Again, you will understand what it means. (I am just quoting)

I can also vouch for the Centrino (on a simpler ACER) as being VERY quiet, what a blessing. They all have at least 3 USB ports, and everything you are asking for (except the Pentium IV of course)

I must say, a personal experience is that the Centrino (Acer) is just slightly slower than my noisy Pentium IV (2.4 GHz) laptop. (e.g. in getting long documents on the screen) - but I am not sure our Centrino isn't just 1.3 GHz.

When I travel, I make sure to be very near some big 12V batteries and an inverter.(I do not like airplanes). Just my luck I live on an island.

[Edited at 2004-05-30 22:23]

[Edited at 2004-05-30 22:25]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for recommendations for notebook with long-life battery

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs