Veyboard and RSI
Thread poster: Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
Local time: 05:13
German to English
+ ...
Jul 27, 2004

I'm doing a translation about RSI (for once, something that might be personally useful) and the text mentions a 'Veyboard'. This is apparently a novel type of keyboard which allows you to input groups of letters rather than individual letters. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with this.

Wenke Geddert
Wenke Geddert
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
... might be one for KudoZ Jul 27, 2004

see also
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=veyboard%20&btnG=Search&meta=
search under "the web" - seems to come up on Dutch websites

HTH

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... Jul 27, 2004

Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. What I was interested in was whether this would be a useful piece of kit to buy.

Roy Laws
Roy Laws
English
Veyboard - Useful? Feb 23, 2006

Veyboard is a syllabic chording keyboard. It allows very rapid input by skilled operators (and I emphasize skilled). According to the distributor's website, training in the use of the keyboard takes approximately 5 weeks, and then a long period of practice to achieve your maximum speed.

Basically, the operation involves entering partial words or syllables by depressing several keys at once, and the software allows you to build words one syllable at a time. When you are finished b
... See more
Veyboard is a syllabic chording keyboard. It allows very rapid input by skilled operators (and I emphasize skilled). According to the distributor's website, training in the use of the keyboard takes approximately 5 weeks, and then a long period of practice to achieve your maximum speed.

Basically, the operation involves entering partial words or syllables by depressing several keys at once, and the software allows you to build words one syllable at a time. When you are finished building the word, you "send" it to the printer or word processor, and proceed to build your next word. It is very similar in operation to a stenograph machine used by court reporters, with the exception that the output is in English (or other plain language) while the output of the stenograph is a coded text which is not legible to the untrained person.

I have been a stenograph operator for approximately 35 years. I have a great interest in the Veyboard, but the price is rather prohibitive. 1950.00 Euros. Unless I should happen on a used one that I could try out, I doubt that I would make such in investment simply to satisfy my curiosity.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Veyboard and RSI

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »