Two desktops and one monitor... possible?
Thread poster: Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:08
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 12, 2005

I finally bought a new desktop, not to replace the old one with Windows 98 and Trados 5.5, but as extra (with Windows XP pro and Trados 6.5)... why? Because certain clients only want translations with Trados 5.5 (uncleaned files) and others 6.5. I know you can run both on the same desktop under certain conditions, but to be honest I would forget to change settings etc.
Since the space on my desk is limited, I wondered if I could connect both desktops to the same monitor (not working on the
... See more
I finally bought a new desktop, not to replace the old one with Windows 98 and Trados 5.5, but as extra (with Windows XP pro and Trados 6.5)... why? Because certain clients only want translations with Trados 5.5 (uncleaned files) and others 6.5. I know you can run both on the same desktop under certain conditions, but to be honest I would forget to change settings etc.
Since the space on my desk is limited, I wondered if I could connect both desktops to the same monitor (not working on them at the same time of course).

Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:08
English to Swedish
+ ...
Switching monitors. Jul 12, 2005

Yes, You can. There are switches on the market for that purpose. Check with Your local dealer and make sure You get one "break-before-make". That is, when You change over the switch disconnects before it engages the new monitor.

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:08
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
KVM switch Jul 12, 2005

Dear Channa,

To have two PCs, both running, and one monitor, keyboard and mouse only, you need a KVM switch that may cost about 40-80 EUR, depending on brand.

KVM stands for Keyboard-Video-Mouse

The two PCs can also be networked, and effectively you would have two independent workstations, move data between them, and switch quickly between applications running in one or the other PC.

Gianfranco

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:08
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Very easy Jul 12, 2005

You need to buy a monitor/keyboard/mouse switch - a company that sells them is Belkin: I think you can find information on that online.

I use just such an arrangement: one old computer for some legacy software, a newer one, one monitor, one keyboard, one mouse, and the switch to pass from one computer to the other.

The switcvh I use cost very little (about 50 dollars), and works just fine: it consist of the switch itself (which is operated via the keyboard), and of the
... See more
You need to buy a monitor/keyboard/mouse switch - a company that sells them is Belkin: I think you can find information on that online.

I use just such an arrangement: one old computer for some legacy software, a newer one, one monitor, one keyboard, one mouse, and the switch to pass from one computer to the other.

The switcvh I use cost very little (about 50 dollars), and works just fine: it consist of the switch itself (which is operated via the keyboard), and of the cables to connect to the two computers (your monitor, keyboard and mouse cables connect to the switch).

http://www.shoplet.com/hardware/db/1369060.html
Collapse

Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Jul 12, 2005

This is great... never knew something like that existed, I am ashamed to say.
Just ordered it!
-:))

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
KVM is the best solution Jul 12, 2005

It lets you command 2 (or more) computers from one console (keyboard, video, mouse). The Belkin ones are really simple to use and to install. You can check this website: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=216 You can use the Wizard to help you find out which product is the best to suit your needs... See more
It lets you command 2 (or more) computers from one console (keyboard, video, mouse). The Belkin ones are really simple to use and to install. You can check this website: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=216 You can use the Wizard to help you find out which product is the best to suit your needs

Good luck!

Addendum: oops, I didn't read your last message properly! I see that you have ordered yours already... Enjoy!

[Edited at 2005-07-12 17:23]
Collapse

Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Pablo Roufogalis (X)
Colombia
Local time: 23:08
English to Spanish
Can be Mac/PC Jul 13, 2005

Just to add that you can share KVMs with Macs and PCs. Just make sure the Mac has USB ports and that your keyboard and mouse are USB.

I share my Windows PC with an old Mac Beige G3 running OS9, with an add-on PCI USB card. With OSX is easier still.

The single drawback with this setup is that you'd intuitively try to cut and paste between the two computers, which of course you can't. Someone should write an utility for that.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Any caveats for using KVMs for Pc+Mac Jan 14, 2006

Hi Pablo
(if you're still tuned to this thread after all these months)

I'm thinking of using a KVM for my PC and my Mac (G4, OSX).
Any caveats I should be aware of, or any advice?

Thanks,
Roberta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two desktops and one monitor... possible?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »